which winch for a guy who doesn't like winches?

sixstringsteve

I could probably come up with a x20 8k with a syn rope for about $550.

I need to learn the names of the parts on a winch. Can the rectangle box (solenoid pack?) on the x20 be relocated? That would allow me to build a smaller bumper.

Last edited:

notajeep

Just me
I need to learn the names of the parts on a winch. Can the rectangle box on the x20 be relocated? THat would allow me to build a tighter bumper.

Yes, all winches that have a separate control box can be relocated. That being said, I have yet to see one that gives you any additional wire to do that. No reason, you couldn't put it under your hood, but you would need to source the longer wires to do that, then disassemble the control pack and re-wire it.

Almost all winches give you the brackets to mount the control box either over the drum or over the motor.

Westernhunter

I have the m8000. Has not failed me. I have relocated the solenoid pack under the Hood. I simply used some welding lead wire. As for water proof, how many starter motors quit after a dunk? Pretty much the same motor IMO.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

great feedback everyone. Here are what I'm considering:

m8000 (used) with cable
m8000 (like new) with synthetic

X20 8000 w/cable - $400
X20 8000 comp w/synthetic - $550

Superwinch Talon 9.5 cable - $550
Superwinch Talon 9.5 synthetic - $800

Warn Zeon 8 - $800
Warn Zeon 8synthetic - $1050

I'm leaning towards the x20 or the superwinch.

sixstringsteve

I have the m8000. Has not failed me. I have relocated the solenoid pack under the Hood. I simply used some welding lead wire. As for water proof, how many starter motors quit after a dunk? Pretty much the same motor IMO.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

i read a quote from warn that said you need to have it dealer-serviced if your m8000 gets submerged.

kellerexpress

I think any of your choices will serve you well. I really dig the looks of those new warn zeons. If you ever wanted to check out my talon in person, let me know and we could meet up.

ricsrx

Yes, all winches that have a separate control box can be relocated. That being said, I have yet to see one that gives you any additional wire to do that. No reason, you couldn't put it under your hood, but you would need to source the longer wires to do that, then disassemble the control pack and re-wire it.

We have installed both of Johns control boxes under the hood, it may be an inconvenience but it keeps the control box from being stolen and it looks less cluttered up front.

Team1k

Does it continue to suck in if it sees a load during its "coasting" phase? Im imagining me having to let off the remote button at just the right time or else it would keep spooling in and mess up your fairlead or something. Just a question and im assuming it doesnt because no one complains about it.

I get to see and install and spool a lot of different winches. From a $2000 to a $199 cheapo...
Biggest difference I see when spooling is that warns will coast. That is to say that after you release the switch, it will continue to suck in (under no load) for a few feet. Versus every other brand I've worked with as soon as you release the switch, it stops.

Take that for what it is worth... I **assume** it has to do with a better design for a load holding brake on the warn and most others are continually fighting the brake.

notajeep

Just me
Does it continue to suck in if it sees a load during its "coasting" phase? Im imagining me having to let off the remote button at just the right time or else it would keep spooling in and mess up your fairlead or something. Just a question and im assuming it doesnt because no one complains about it.

No, only in a no load condition do they coast.

sixstringsteve

hm... the smittybuilts are pretty tempting.

I can get an x20 with synthetic line for $500

or an xrc8 comp for $425

or an xrc steel cable for $300