Whiskey

DesertRam

Several years ago my wife ventured to Ireland for work and fun. She returned with a wonderful custom-bottled Jameson for me to try. Apparently the big deal over there is Jameson and Ginger (Jameson mixed into ginger ale with a squeeze of lime). I got hooked on that and have been drinking it ever since, though I've concluded that that the fancy bottle she brought should not be diluted! I have also found that that I like the Jameson Cask Mates pretty well, particularly the Stout version, which is mighty tasty right from the glass. The Stout also adds a nice touch when mixing the J&G.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Several years ago my wife ventured to Ireland for work and fun. She returned with a wonderful custom-bottled Jameson for me to try. Apparently the big deal over there is Jameson and Ginger (Jameson mixed into ginger ale with a squeeze of lime). I got hooked on that and have been drinking it ever since, though I've concluded that that the fancy bottle she brought should not be diluted! I have also found that that I like the Jameson Cask Mates pretty well, particularly the Stout version, which is mighty tasty right from the glass. The Stout also adds a nice touch when mixing the J&G.
My grandfather, a Tennessee Squire, used to say, "Why ruin a good whiskey by mixing it with something." That said, I've occasionally picked up or been gifted a bottle that wasn't great, and in that case adding a little ginger ale is always a good way to go.

Reactions: DAA

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
. Missouri ridge distillery american single malt whiskey or a more local flair outlaw distillery make some mighty fine poision.

That's Greg Pope's distillery! He used to lived here when his wife was a Vet (animals, not war). I helped him build his first still and sold him ingredients. They sold the animal hospital and moved to Missouri to open the distillery. I've honestly never tried his commercial stuff.

I'm not opposed to mixing whiskey drinks. I wouldn't use a nice high end spirit, but Jameson and ginger is good. Jameson and Ginger Beer with some lime...Irish Mule. Old fashioneds are good, but I'm not crafty enough to make them right myself.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
That's Greg Pope's distillery! He used to lived here when his wife was a Vet (animals, not war). I helped him build his first still and sold him ingredients. They sold the animal hospital and moved to Missouri to open the distillery. I've honestly never tried his commercial stuff.
yep, and my bottle is signed by him, I picked it at his place while on a trip to Missouri, we stopped in to eat, took their your, and did a tasting. He walked in and we got to meet him. I didn't know who he was until we did that trip. I had never watched the show. The single malt is basically his version of a scotch, but made in usa

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I’m a sucker for a whiskey sour. It’s probably the #1 drink I’ll mix at home. I stick to the basic stuff to mix like the bulleit rye. Some home made simple syrup, fresh lime juice and it hits the spot just right.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Is this how it works?

254a6b2e260e35332afd64a0c2fbf5e9.jpg

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I have watched this thread for a few days and decided to join in on the fun.

In my late 20's and early 30's Makers and Ginger was my drink of choice. Before that my drink of choice was... well... anything. Now my go to is Eagles Rare but that is becoming harder and harder to find. A few years back before I knew much about whisky and bourbon I was on a corporate trip to Lexington. We were given a private tour of the Buffalo Trace distillery where I found out that they make Eagles Rare. Needless to say, I was on the tour guides hip the entire time. Eagles Rare on the rocks is one of my favs. When the commission checks are a little on the slim slide I go for Evan Williams Single Barrell. Its smooth and good (in my crappy opinion). While traveling through Montana for work (Bozeman specifically) a bar tender recommended a bourbon from Butte called "Neversweat". Definitely one of my favorites from that day on and I always have 2 bottles on hand because you cannot get it locally on the shelf. Another good one if Breckenridge Bourbon from Colorado (obviously).

If anyone travels through MT for work or fun, I will happily pay a delivery fee (within reason) to grab me a bottle or two of Neversweat! I am down to one bottle left and work is not allowing any travel for the time being.

Reactions: DAA

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'd spring for a bottle of that Neversweat. Sounds delightful!

I like the Breckenridge bourbon too. Stranahan's was always one of my favorites, but was really inconsistent. Some bottles were amazing, some were just meh.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I like the Breckenridge bourbon too. Stranahan's was always one of my favorites, but was really inconsistent. Some bottles were amazing, some were just meh.

Okay, you just validated that for me. I was gifted a bottle of Stranahans from a rep and I thought it was awesome. I grabbed a bottle for myself a few months later and thought to myself "maybe I was drunk?!?" It wasn't as good. That was the last time I had Stranahans.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
The Henry McKenna bourbon is really nice too, and I swear it used to be only $20 bucks per bottle. It shows $35 now, and people are starting to figure out that it's solid. I think it's the same grain bill as Elijah Craig, just younger. Kind of like how the Elmer T Lee is just younger Blantons.

I bought a fifth of Henry McKenna from the Payless Drug store in Green River, Wyoming about 40 years ago. It was fantastic, but I could not find it again. Your post brought back a good memory for me, thank you!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Thats kinda what I figured, but being a history nerd, I'm interested in it because of the roots.
Also, I think it's High West's first self distilled whiskey? So thats kinda cool.

Its not bad, just doesn't have a lot of flavor and the finish is kind of harsh with a weird after taste. Out of whats pictured I'll just say its not my go to

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
So after this thread started I tried to up my whiskey game. It took me 3 or 4 months to figure out the allotted dabc system, but now I'm pretty successfully on stuff if I can sneak away from work to get. I watch the app and through the website. Eagle rare, Blanton's etc a non issue. If you work by a store that gets it you are set. I usually have to bomb downtown. But I'm usually first or second out of 6 bottles. In the valley stuff lasts from 5 minutes to 2 hours. Outer reach stores can last more then a day.