Who can build me the box/frame for this trailer? (aka need welding)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...right now im thinking of junking the t.arm's in favor of a wider soild axle, rear yj springs only top 2-3 from pack, and some shocks.:D

I really don't think you can go wrong with a properly setup leaf suspension... cheap, durable and easy to maintain. I've towed my thousands of miles at this point and the only thing I would change is mabey adding a swaybar for the on-road stuff... likely a quick disconnect system robbed from a common application. Its been 100mph on the highway, and over some pretty decent offroad terrain with all my gear. The only reason I am semi-entertaining a new build is more space. Between the wife, the dog, and 5+ day camping trips lately... I'm needing alot more room.

kent l

trailer

The military made these off-road trailers of years MBT,M100,M416 and CDN M101. leafs for longevity not for ride quality. I have a 1943 MBT it works great on and off road I bought the tent from Kurt. I built the frame so it would hinge both ways. I could pull it off and use the trailer for other things like wood junk and other stuff

Attachments

• trailer lid up 2.jpg
    trailer lid up 2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 44
  • jeep with trailer.jpg
    jeep with trailer.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

kent l

Hinge and frame

Who needs thule bars? I just welded 2 round tubing on the outside frame rails of the trailer. Then 1 the the tent frame. wha-la instant hinge, total cost for frame and hinges and hitch pins $35.00. The good thing about this is I can open it up both ways. The canvas cover keeps the dust out.

Good luck on your trailer build. I have enjoyed mine. It has save me many dollars on motel rooms this year.

kent l

hinge pics

one more try

Attachments

• jeep-trailer-june.jpg
    jeep-trailer-june.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 35
  • mbt hinges.jpg
    mbt hinges.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 36
  • hitch pins .jpg
    hitch pins .jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 30

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
one more try

That is an excellent M416/M101 you have there :cool: I would love to find a clean one. Seems everyone I see hit the market is beat to tar and they still want $1000 for it... I've seen alot done with the M416 style trailers, upgraded suspensions for a better ride and tow, custom lids, racks, etc. I always keep my eye peeled for them... hope to run across a clean one one of these days.

If there is enough interest, there are NEW (old stock) CAN M101's available... if you can get enough interest in a truckload of them, they come out to ~$1000 each. Any less than a load and shipping really adds up per unit.

kgb

Why not start with a truck bed trailer, granted its a lot or little bit bigger then what alot of you are talking but its all there. I have a Toyota truck bed trailer that I have been building still has the tank in it and has a E-brake and can haul over a ton and a half of crap, well it was rocks. Going to put a Dana 60 axle in it so I have matching spares and build some boxes and a top and be able to haul all I would ever need and it is rather light so far.

Attachments

• DSCN0738.JPG
    DSCN0738.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 20

CJJ92yj

sure would be easier with a mini truck bed like that. Sure is a lot of weight though in comparison to the ones pictured in this thread.

YotaDunesman

Get Er Dun'
I still think that the most practical option are some long leaf springs, they are very easy to set up, cheap to lift, and maintenance free. I think that we are kind of losing sight that this is a trailer, granted we have high demands, but its still just a trailer. The truck bed idea would be cool if it matched your rig, but a jeep guy would never tow around a toyota bed. Another option on the truck bed is to rip out the frame and build a lighter tube frame and mount the bed on the frame. I bet you would get another couple inches of clearance and its lighter.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Truck beds are too big for my demands... yet alot of wasted storage IMO... I did my best to make the back 1/2 of a Cruiser work, yet I still need more usable storage space while not increasing the overall width/length drastically. My biggest issue is my Freezer/Fridge needs to be hard mounted, problem is that for my current trailer, it is ~1" too tall, so I can shut the lid. My new design will be at least 6" deeper.

theferg

DD for Life
I've already done the truck trailer thing. Bought an old datsun one for $150 bucks a few years ago. Bastard was heavy as crap and loved to body-roll around with any sort of weight in it. Ya, it coulda used some new shocks, but the thing was just too heavy to begin with. You start putting gear in there and its gonna get crazy heavy.

Additionally the bodies of those things are quite wide and you'd end up crunching the hell out of it if you weren't super careful.

-Ferg-

kgb

true, true and true, mine is going to be pulled by a full size and the axle is going to be the same. I need the size got to many daughters who think a weekend is a month and they pack for it:D my plan is to do side boxes that become fenders for the full size axle. What i was thinking that if you started with a bed trailer you would already have the springs and stuff to work with.

suisuki

Chrome Won't Get ya' home
cheap independant set up

here's that pic
i think i'll cut those arms off and sleeve the 1.5" with 2"x.25 to make a solid drag-over-anything axle and slap some leaves on 'er. needs some bigger wheels and 33's too
you can't really see the stub axles but you can see the weld where they're sleeved into the 1.5" if you look close
cody i like the idea of a trailing arm solid axle set-up just a little more $$ for the spring/shock, has any seen those cheap truck sized coilover shock helper springs, these seem like they would work well but i've had trouble finding them, kinda old school, everyone uses air bags now

Attachments

• P1000206.JPG
    P1000206.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 63

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
FYI- I am going to Las Vegas in the morning and dont have a laptop, so if you want to talk to me give me a call. I will check the thread and my email if i get a chance, but it probably wont happen until sunday. I will probably be able to start building a trailer next week sometime. I have ordered a few parts just to make sure they will work like I want them to.

Have you made any other progress? After this last trip I'm really looking to put together a trail trailer....

00harpdawg

i've been doing this exact same thing except i started with an existing trailer and trimmed it down to my size i still have a long ways to go but i'm just doing body work right now. it's going to have a rack on top and paited to match the jeep any advice on mine would be great. I love how these trailers are starting to become a big thing

Attachments

• trailer build up.jpg
    trailer build up.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 49
  • trailer build up (1).jpg
    trailer build up (1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 57
  • trailer build up (2).jpg
    trailer build up (2).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 50
  • trailer build up (3).jpg
    trailer build up (3).jpg