Who can build me the box/frame for this trailer? (aka need welding)

theferg

DD for Life
So I want a camping/supply/utility trailer and I think Johnny's is a kick ass little trailer and I want to make one like it, but I don't have a welder (and I wouldn't trust my welding skillz on a project like this anyway). So I'm looking for someone in or around the SLC area that could cut and weld up the main box or frame of a trailer like this. I would need all the cutting and welding done. I will pay for your time and the steel or I can supply the steel if you need...or whatever...you tell me.

Check it out: http://wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

Any takers? Post up or PM me.

Thanks!

-Ferg-

trailer%20019.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That a great little trailer build... one thing I would change off the bat, leaf springs. Find some longer leaf springs to use. The generic trailer leafs from Hendersons, etc are very short. Fine for a car-hauler, utility trailer, etc... but they don't flex nor absorb the bumps like you will want it to if you are going to really use it. Along with a different suspension setup, shocks. I tried it without one trip, and just as I expected it performed miserably without. Lastly, I would incorporate a sealed top into the system... but make sure all of your larger items fit ahead of time (coolers, storage bins, etc) ahead of time.

I could help you out if you don't find a cheaper option ;)

I can't remember if we discussed this while you were over or not... A couple locals and I have been considering building some new trailers for ourselves, mabey even one to sell. The trailer would integrate everything into our trailers that we have desired out of our current trailers (water tight lids, water/fuel storage, on board power system, brakes?). Here is a quick sketch of the tub design...

Attachments

• Trailer_Tub.jpg
    Trailer_Tub.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 37

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
As much as I hate them on real trailers, I would use a torsion axle on a trailer such as this.

I don't have any experience with them... but there seems to be alot of talk against torsion axles on a trailer that gets rallied pretty good. Supposedly they can fail outright. Seems you would have to put some pretty wild drop brackets to get the clearance needed? Also they don't have a linear spring rate, might be an issue when towing loaded versus unloaded??

This is the trailing arm suspension that one of the high dollar ($2500-7500) trailer manufactures is using, airbags for fine tuning, shocks for dampening:

Attachments

• rolled_AT.jpg
    rolled_AT.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 235

theferg

DD for Life
I could help you out if you don't find a cheaper option ;)

I can't remember if we discussed this while you were over or not... A couple locals and I have been considering building some new trailers for ourselves, mabey even one to sell. The trailer would integrate everything into our trailers that we have desired out of our current trailers (water tight lids, water/fuel storage, on board power system, brakes?). Here is a quick sketch of the tub design...

Kurt,

Roger that on the longer leafs and some shocks.

So are you saying you're "helping me out" is going to be a rip off? :eek: :rofl: :flipoff:

Nah, we didn't talk about trailers when I was over... I'm definitely interested in your new trailer building you might be doing. I'll have to stop back by again soon. I'll be in Sandy tomorrow sometime so i'll ring ya.

-Ferg-

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...So are you saying you're "helping me out" is going to be a rip off? :eek: :rofl: :flipoff:

No, I'm just saying that I build this stuff for a living... "thanks" doesn't pay my mortgage if you know what I mean. You know I am more than reasonable when it comes to that type of stuff... but you might be able to find someone closer to you with a welder that would help toss it together in a couple nights for beer money. Metal Supermarket in SLC (Metal Mart in PG) will precut all the peices to your dims, so all you have to do is nuke them together. Like I said... use me as a last resort.

...Nah, we didn't talk about trailers when I was over... I'm definitely interested in your new trailer building you might be doing. I'll have to stop back by again soon. I'll be in Sandy tomorrow sometime so i'll ring ya.

-Ferg-

Give me a ring and stop by...

My other option is a complete retrofit of my existing trailer... though as of now I'm leaning towards a new one as I have a potential buyer for my trailer... I could likely get enough out of it to fund a new build (less labor). I'm really torn... I could update my old trailer (NOT use an auto frame) and lighten things up ALOT. I havn't ever weighed my trailer, but I'de guess loaded with the RTT I'm sitting at ~750lbs, not bad compared to some of the commercial units that weigh in at 1000lbs + & up. If I could get my build at 750lbs loaded (with water and fuel) I would be a happy dude! (Figuring 10 gallons of fuel, 20 gallons of water = ~225 lbs)

theferg

DD for Life
No, I'm just saying that I build this stuff for a living... "thanks" doesn't pay my mortgage if you know what I mean. You know I am more than reasonable when it comes to that type of stuff... but you might be able to find someone closer to you with a welder that would help toss it together in a couple nights for beer money. Metal Supermarket in SLC (Metal Mart in PG) will precut all the peices to your dims, so all you have to do is nuke them together. Like I said... use me as a last resort.

Awwww, come on brotha, you know i was messin... I didn't really mean it to begin with... I didn't need the explanation... I love you man!

-Ferg-

theferg

DD for Life
It would be nice to have a sealed top on it though... I was thinking just a canvas top or something, but that could end up sucking in some wet weather... Even if the ground is wet it could end up getting all up in there and soaking everything. Hmmmm.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
It would be nice to have a sealed top on it though... I was thinking just a canvas top or something, but that could end up sucking in some wet weather... Even if the ground is wet it could end up getting all up in there and soaking everything. Hmmmm.

Canvas wouldn't be too bad if you water proofed it with a good product. Still can't beat a sealed top though, since canvas isn't going to form a nice seal anywhere.

theferg

DD for Life
There are so many designs out there... its really hard to decide which one is best.

I've seen all those. The ex-military ones seem like a decent starting point... Just seems you get either a giant rusted pile of shiz for a couple hundred bucks or a good one for a damn million dollars.

I like that first one--I've been checking them out on their site--but those are still a bit on the pricey side and then you still have to add all the extras on them....

That's why I was thinking of a fabbed one. So anyone have a ball park on what it might cost to zap this sucker together?

-Ferg-

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Stop by and we'll chat about it... your gonna need some parts in hand ahead of time: axle $150, springs (free-$150), U-bolts ($30) and a lunette (~$30?)).

Meat_

Banned
I don't have any experience with them... but there seems to be alot of talk against torsion axles on a trailer that gets rallied pretty good. Supposedly they can fail outright. Seems you would have to put some pretty wild drop brackets to get the clearance needed? Also they don't have a linear spring rate, might be an issue when towing loaded versus unloaded??

This is the trailing arm suspension that one of the high dollar ($2500-7500) trailer manufactures is using, airbags for fine tuning, shocks for dampening:

I'm smart enough not to rally with a trailer ;) especially not a light single axle trailer.

YotaDunesman

Get Er Dun'
I could build this for you, I was thinking about it and came up with some pretty cool ideas for it. Do you know the dimensions you want for the box? I was guessing about 4' Long 3' wide and about 18" tall. I came up with a handy way to get the tailgate to latch and also a way for you to have a sealing hardtop that comes all the way off really easily, if we added some fold down legs you can use the top as a table. I was planning on letting you put on your own siding and top skins, unless they need welds. I have welded for about 7 years and do it alot at work too. I have built a few trailers, steel decks and alot of heavy structural stuff in the past and this is a very small job. I also do some light machining, nothing fancy. I am really good at making sure everything is square and fits right before welding it all the way, Im kind of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this. Do you have a budget that you are working with? I have added up some of the metal and some of the parts, and have a little bit of an idea of what it will cost. I just need to know how fancy you want this? Basically do you want Geo package or the Chevy package or the Cadillac package? The multi-purpose top will be a bit more money, but it would be really cool and useful. My attitude when I build stuff is that its cheaper and easier to do it right the first time (with all the bells and whistles) than it is to try to add parts later. What type of hitch were you going to use? Let me know what you had in mind and we can work something out! Also if anybody else wants one like this, now would be a really good time to let me know, it will be really easy to build two, side by side. Feel free to call me, but in the evening is best. 801-898-6561.

Last edited:

Bart

I have a buddy that got about 6 guys together that wanted trailers almost exactly like that one in the first post. Because it was a cookie cutter build, they were into them very cheaply. They built all six (frames on axles) in about 6 hours. I've always regretted passing up on the build.

YotaDunesman

Get Er Dun'
Its not too difficult, and it would go pretty quick, the part that takes the time is making sure everything looks really good. This is cleaning welds, paint prep, painting, attaching all accesories, lighting, skin panels and floor w/ stain. For the most part its the stuff I don't want to do, except for the grinding. This will help keep the cost down quite a bit. The most expensive part is the axle, tires/rims, and possibly the hitch. Bart -Do you want one?