Who does boating? The hobby conundrum......

rholbrook

They didn't spend much time with you at Sand Hollow because the muscle is already there. I am disappointed in them at Jordanelle. They should have sent you home or to another clean out place. What you really need to do is plumb in your own connection. I always kept a out drive boot in my boat, but my friend has a 25' Super Air Natique that is really hard to get cleaned so to make it easier, he plumped in a connection that makes it super easy to clean his boat. When you go to Wyoming even it is in a drift boat, they are on top of it. Northern Idaho and Washington are also on top of it.
You only have to wait 7-10 days if you haven't been cleaned.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Interesting. I don't think I knew that and all the times I've come from there I haven't had an issue. Maybe I've always been over the time limit.

I don't know of a chemical that is approved for use.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Water in the engine isn’t really the problem the operating temp will kill them.

That might be the case with an open cooling system. I think the magic number is 140* and my engines have all ran around 160*. I now have a closed cooling system and am pretty sure my heat exchanger does not get that hot. Either way they have hooked their flushing systems to my cooling port both times so they must think flushing the raw water side is important.

Jesser04

Looks like putting potassium chloride in your ballast tanks will kill them. My cooling system is open cooling I’m not sure how hot it gets but when I turn my hose on that feeds off the engine if I don’t turn some cold water on to it’s freaking hot like burn you hot. That being said I agree flushing you engine is a good thing.

The biggest problem is it’s a honor system and we all know honor systems rarely work. Decontaminating you boat is time consuming and some people value there time more than keeping the lake mussel free. If they want to stop mussels it should be mandatory decontamination.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/quagga/pdf/boat_inspection.pdf

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I figure it's a matter of time before they come up with some bacteria or bug that eats or kills the mussels. That's really the only long term solution i can see, but that's some sketchy science stuff with unforseable consequences.

Bart

Running a cruiser is a bit different to decontaminate. We only run our boat on Powell, but if we decided to go somewhere else I would need to flush/decontaminate the cooling for generator, A/C unit, and rear deck shower, all systems that draw straight from the lake, in addition to our motors. The stations concentrate a lot on the anchors and filters in systems.

Houndoc

Is there something proactive you do to mitigate the possible spread of the mussels?

Per DWR 7 days in summer, 18 fall/spring, 30 days in winter between lakes.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/invasive-mussels.html

Very concerned that they let a boat into Jordanelle with water from Mead in the ballasts. Hope that doesn't come back to bite us all.

I think the entire thing was handled wrong when the mussels first made it out west. Mandatory decontamination at pull out from Mead would have done a lot to stop the spread to Powell.

Jesser04

If you ever think about a swim platform give these guys a call.

https://swimplatformsuperstore.com

Hands down the best thing I did for our boat quality platforms. They’ve done two for me one I installed and one they installed if I did it again I’d take the boat to them and have them install it. If you camp with you boat at all have them put a base for a table on it and build a stand for a bbq.03DA7EEC-DE52-4D29-9683-C7D4FF2D7C78.jpeg85A0FFC4-D26C-49C5-8A5D-472B163D540A.jpegCBB52AE1-E573-4216-ACDD-AA93C22CE4F9.jpeg20D966EC-08FE-48BF-AC88-22C2FBFA9819.jpeg