Who here is into coyote hunting?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date

DAA

They had a blast and so did I but now I'm amped up to start calling but feel like I need to wait at least till November for some reason. Opinions?

The fur is almost prime now, so if you might consider that a reason, I think you're good to go. The calling won't get any better as time goes by. They just get fewer and smarter as the year goes on.

I usually start right about now. But I started a little earlier than usual this year. Kind of glad I did, because back pain has me sidelined for the time being. Was going to go see if I could find a deer worth shooting next weekend but am probably not going to do that either, just in too much pain. Doc says I might have weeks of this to go yet... But, I've hunted two full days and two mornings already, killed 16. Not shooting worth a crap, else I'd have over 20 already.

- DAA

DAA

Part of one days take two weeks ago...

20140927_Coyote%20Hunt-6W.jpg

It was raining, so they don't look too pretty...

- DAA

D

Deleted member 12904

The fur is almost prime now, so if you might consider that a reason, I think you're good to go. The calling won't get any better as time goes by. They just get fewer and smarter as the year goes on.

I usually start right about now. But I started a little earlier than usual this year. Kind of glad I did, because back pain has me sidelined for the time being. Was going to go see if I could find a deer worth shooting next weekend but am probably not going to do that either, just in too much pain. Doc says I might have weeks of this to go yet... But, I've hunted two full days and two mornings already, killed 16. Not shooting worth a crap, else I'd have over 20 already.

- DAA

Thanks for the feedback. I will be deer hunting on the rife hunt this year but it sounds like it's time to start visiting the areas I've been scouting all summer. I don't shoot worth a crap myself but have been making an effort to learn this year. I actually learned how my scopes work what moa is and have been having better success. I actually am feeling good with how I'm shooting now especially considering the inexpensive Nikon optics I'm using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12904

My opinion is that you need to take me with you.

How'd I miss this thread? I'd like to go but would need to tag along as a newb

Thanks for the offers guys. Last year I found a couple different guys that have so far been awesome, reliable and really cool to get to know we managed to learn a lot together and ended up having some okay success last year. If things change and I find myself needing someone to go with I'll let you know.

But just to give you guys a little tip which helped me last year this was also with some of DAAs advice I just started locating. It takes time to find them but once you know where they are at you find a place to get in you find a place to hide the vehicle you find a place to set the stand and you repeat that until you have several stands that can fill a day of hunting. If you know where they are at you hide the vehicle you get in quiet and you repeat that several times you will kill some. Lucky for me I try to spend most of my free time outdoors with my boys anyways so this is just stuff I do while I'm having family time.

Jeepj667

- DAA

Dave, what do you do with them? I know you can get money for the ears but what do you do with the rest? The talk in town last week was someone dump a bunch of earless carcasses off the side of the road at Bacchus and Old Bingham.

D

Deleted member 12904

Feeling less confident about my shooting. Came up about 10" short on a 403 yard shot letting one get away. Next one I found today was 430 yards and I didn't even bother shooting. Time to start calling and get them in closer.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
What's the best time of day to scout coyotes? I camped @ 5MP last night and heard them barking pretty much all night. Is spot-lighting legal in Utah County?

DAA

Dave, what do you do with them?

I dispose of the carcasses in the field. In places highly unlikely to ever be found, by anyone. If for no other reason, I don't want a scouting coyote hunter to see one of my dead piles and get a free clue :D. And, in all seriousness, I've gotten that free clue, numerous times - it's something worth paying attention to when you see it.

But dumping them in a spot like that intersection is just a world class doosh bag move. Total jackassery. Whoever did that is a moron. It's very common to see them dumped where a dirt road hits pavement though. Very. But not my style.

Came up about 10" short on a 403 yard shot letting one get away.

No shame in missing a 400 yarder. Passing on the 430 shows wisdom though. Like Clint said, a man's gotta know his limitations. By not shooting, you vastly improved your odds for calling him later.

What's the best time of day to scout coyotes?

There are a million ways to skin that cat. To me, scouting and locating are two different things. I can scout any time of day. And in fact, I'm constantly scouting, every time I'm outdoors, no matter what it is I'm doing. Locating is a night time activity. Lots of variables, no one size fits all answers. But where you hear them howling in "the middle of the night" is NOT necessarily where you'll be best served trying to call them in the day. Locating for day time stands is pretty time specific, in most scenarios.

- DAA

D

Deleted member 12904

Started getting my stuff out today and thought some of you may like to see my DiY caller. It's a 12volt amp wireless mic and horn In a camo bag. I power it with a 7ah battery that runs it for a Long time between charges. Excellent wireless range and very loud. I plug the transmitter into an iPod that I have my calls loaded on.

DAA

So, it's been a good and bad year of coyote hunting for me so far. Bad, because I have not been able to go much. Good, because when I have been able to go, the calling has been red hot. Wanted to go today, but chickened out for the weather. Maybe next Saturday.

Last time out was really good though.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-41W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

I like seeing that DIY caller too. I built one kind of similar, a long time ago, when the world was young. It was before iPod's existed. Used what was for the time a good MP3 player and a horn speaker, with wireless mics, mounted a home made amp (soldered that bad boy up myself) and an SLA battery pack in a project box with the speaker bolted to the top. This is the only picture I could find of it, can't really see it too good. But it worked really well.

TimComaYote.jpg

I'd forgot all about that little ghillie I made for the tripod :rofl:. That was a kind of a funky coyote too. Three legged. Tim shot it in the head. When I went to pull it out of the truck to skin it many hours later, dang thing was still alive and had come to!

- DAA

D

Deleted member 12904

It's been coyote fever for me this year. My wife is getting sick of me going out. My trips have been no where near that good. Funny last Saturday we didn't see a single dog all day calling that's Sunday morning my boys woke up early so we decided to give mom a break and went out to Penny's for breakfast and saw two on the way. Oh well that's how it goes sometimes.

DAA

Oh well that's how it goes sometimes.

Yes it is. Coyotes are just my excuse for getting out there anyway though. And my wife is getting sick of me not going :D.

Penny's... Have not been in there since they blew up the old one for a movie or something. But when I was a kid, my Dad took me there all the time. True story - first called coyote I ever killed was up behind St. John. Can't even make that stand anymore, it's in someone's backyard now. But we stopped at Penny's on the way home after - loved those cheeseburgers!

- DAA

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Been going crazy wanting to get out, my friend has been bugging me hard core too.. I have been doing a bit of locating but life gets in the way. had shoulder surgery Tuesday and have the other shoulder to do in a couple weeks. Hopefully I get out by the end of the year..

DAA

Been going crazy wanting to get out, my friend has been bugging me hard core too.. I have been doing a bit of locating but life gets in the way. had shoulder surgery Tuesday and have the other shoulder to do in a couple weeks. Hopefully I get out by the end of the year..

Man, hope those surgeries heal fast and do the trick for you! That's why I haven't been out much this year too - not that I've had surgery, but that I probably should have already, was hurting so much I couldn't do anything for a couple months. Managing it with steroids right now, but that train ain't going much further.

- DAA

rholbrook

Man, hope those surgeries heal fast and do the trick for you! That's why I haven't been out much this year too - not that I've had surgery, but that I probably should have already, was hurting so much I couldn't do anything for a couple months. Managing it with steroids right now, but that train ain't going much further.

- DAA
Sucks getting old. I need both shoulders and both knees and the one knee isn't repairable. My back is still good though so I could carry all your gear for you. Besides that, you could show me how to use my caller.

Last edited:

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
So, I am not a coyote hunter, but have killed several upon chance encounter... However, I have had fond thoughts of becoming one! I am a great shot, have an impressive kill record, am young, Strong and will shut up fallow instruction... Would be willing to accompany someone if you would like!
100_3176.jpg100_3214.jpg1.jpg2.jpg