Who makes good fuel pumps

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
On my LS swap project I am down to the fuel system. My old fuel pump is most likely not up to the task and it is also varnished up. Many of the LS swap folks use a Walbro 255, I have also read that some use the pump from a 05-06 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. I would think those should have an ample flow rate at pressure. I have found those in many different brands. Some that look to be decent are the Delphi, Spectra Premium and the Bosch. The problem I'm having is that some online reviews paint dismal track records on almost every pump I have looked at. I know there are a lot of cheap knock offs out there which may explain the bad reviews. I need a pump that is very reliable since we tend to go out in the middle of nowhere. Any thoughts on who makes a reliable pump ?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
A fuel pump is only as good the operator. Put in bad fuel, never run more than a quarter tank, running it empty, etc. These things destroy pumps. The three brands you mention are top brands and should serve you well if taken care of. Do whatever you can to keep it in the tank. OEM Jeep with hemi sounds like a good idea to me. At the same time, I’ve only done one tj ls swap, but I used the stock tj pump and it’s worked great.

RockChucker

When I initially did my swap I used a stock TJ sending unit with the regulator bypassed. That didn’t last too long. The pump was overworked. I replaced the stock Bosch pump with an airtex unit from mid-late 90s suburban with a 454. Never had a problem with it. Then I cut my Jeep apart and built a fuel cell and ran a boscho 040 in the tank because that is what I was told would work best. 4 of those pumps dead later I gave up on it. It has way too much flow and would essentially boil the fuel as it recirculated the fuel through the tank. Now I’m running a PWM sending unit from a Cadillac CTSV. It’s worked great for a few years now. My brother just used an oem Silverado pump from the year of his engine (05 I think). It might be a little more work now, but if you can use oem parts you’ll have much better results in my opinion

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I've tried to find out what pump they use in the OEM GM units but they don't list what pump is there they just want you to buy the entire pump assembly. I would use a complete assembly but it won't fit in my custom tank. I guess I could buy one and tear it apart but I would pay a bunch more for it. Anyone know what pump is in the OEM unit ?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I believe Walbro pumps are often used in factory setups. I would suggest avoiding any Holley pumps, they've been known to burn up pretty quickly.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I had great luck with a factory Volvo Penta (probably Bosch) boat pump. In tank keeps it cool and it's designed to lift a bunch since boat tanks are so much lower (like a few feet) than the motor.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Many of the LS swap folks use a Walbro 255

Back in my minivan drag racing days, I upgraded to a Walbro 255 pump. This worked flawlessly for me, even at 24 pounds of boost. That was "the" pump to have in the high-powered turbo Dodge world, and we generally saw good results with it.

My current Grand Prix has a Tanks Inc baffled EFI tank in it, along with the Walbro pump they provided. This, too, has been flawless at keeping my 454 well fed.

$.02

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Thanks,
I too have been reading good stuff about the 255 Walbro and have been talking to the tanks inc guys. If I hadn't just had my tank cleaned and relined I would put in one of their pump units but I don't want to cut the hole in my tank bigger to use one.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hey Dave, if you get the Walbro post up on your thoughts. I have a MSD one that I just put in on my CJ 5.3 swap and it is stupid loud...

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
From what I have read the Walbro isn't that quiet either. What model of MSD did you use ? does it have adequate flow at pressure for your engine ?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
From what I have read the Walbro isn't that quiet either. What model of MSD did you use ? does it have adequate flow at pressure for your engine ?
Not sure on the model and I have only put 5 miles or so on the jeep since the swap. Seems like the pump keeps up fine, it's just loud, and I don't like it.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I did a quick check and that pump is supposed to put out 43 GPH at 40 PSI. The Walbro 255 is rated at 67 GPH. Maybe a bit of overkill.