Whole house backup generator

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
For my back up power I tapped in to my neighbors roof solar panels. He's beyond furious that he's not getting the quoted monthly savings the installer promised. Come to think of it I guess that makes it my primary power source. Can't believe he hasn't noticed the extension cord running down his roof and over our fence.

stimmie

For what it is worth, as far as I know there is no "the Generac distributor" for the state when it comes to residential. I don't know much about Kendrick Electric but I wouldn't be worried as long as you have done your due diligence and feel good about it and sounds like you have a price that works for you. There are more than 50 companies that can buy and sell Generac residential and smaller commercial units in Utah not counting the big box stores that often have pretty aggressive pricing.

Our company is the industrial dealer for the area and we specialize in the larger units(~30KW up through 2-3MW units). We don't often get involved with the residential sized units though we usually typically stock (out right now) a few units we won't usually do installs on them. Up through this last year we were also the trainer for the residential installers and distributors.

Generac is out quite a ways out on production so it is likely that many aren't giving the best deals right now because they are having to wait a long time for units and demand is sky high right now. March sounds about right for delivery. The 24KW is a brand new size and the next version of the 22KW which has been their best seller for some time. Generac owns the residential market and has a huge market share with far more resi units in the field than anyone else.

Sucks about the Dominion deal. Good luck with everything!
I took the residential generac training class July of 2018. Need to recertify. My dad is a dealer in the Uinta Basin, and I'm his service tech. I've done a whopping 3 oil change/valve adjustments. Also one trip to reset for a battery. But dad has said he's got quite a few new installs lined out. It's an ok side gig for me.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Still trying to find a plumber to run 25 ft of gas line, two shutoff valves and two regulators. The quotes for over $1000 have me scratching my head. I guess everyone has so much work lined up that they can make ridiculously high bids and care not if they don't get the job.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Still trying to find a plumber to run 25 ft of gas line, two shutoff valves and two regulators. The quotes for over $1000 have me scratching my head. I guess everyone has so much work lined up that they can make ridiculously high bids and care not if they don't get the job.
Call my buddy Zak. 801.497.1288.

Tonkaman

Run it yourself. Parts are super cheap, and you can always have Home Depot thread you a piece of needed.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
West Haven requires a gas certificate for running this line. That includes the inspector coming out to verify that it holds pressure before Dominion will install the new meter. The spring might be indeed all that changes the pressure, but the new meter does have larger lines coming out of it as well.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Almost complete with the project yesterday. The generator was wired and installed. Last item is a city inspection. Generator is a 22KW-rated Generac. We are running it on NG which de-rates the output some. Also, elevation further de-rates output by 3.5% per 1000 ft.

Planning to re-do the curbing and gravel in the Spring. Key for this project was getting the placement correct and level.Gen1.jpgGen2.jpg

Happy to answer any questions.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Curious if it would ever be a cost benefit to run the generator instead of using the electricity brought in by the city? Or is soley power outage use only?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
This particular unit is intended to be a backup. Although it can run for extended periods (people have run them non-stop for a week or 2), its purpose is a temporary backup. Generac builds water-cooled versions (about 2x the cost of this one) that are better suited for longer term run times.

As far as costs, it will be highly dependent on NG price. Right now with the big cold spells across the US, NG price has really jumped. In the summer it should drop a fair bit (barring any new crazy energy bills from the new administration).

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a poor mans version of generator backup - I have a 220v plug wired in my garage, about 40 feet of extension cord with ends. and a 4,000w onan generator. When the power goes out, I have to go out an turn off the main disconnect to my house, roll the generator out to the side of my house, start the generator, and plug it in. It will pretty much run everything but the central air (I assume the oven might not work but I haven't tried it) I have it for emergencies and figure I can do without my central air during a power outage. My system doesn't have a switch - so I have to watch my neighbors lights and when I see the power is back on, I unplug my generator and turn the house main disconnect back on.
Couid I do this with my existing 220 outlet that I use for my welder? It just back feeds through the panel?

Paul R

Curious if it would ever be a cost benefit to run the generator instead of using the electricity brought in by the city? Or is soley power outage use only?
It really depends on where you are at. There are a few ways to make this work but to my knowledge there is not a lot of opportunity in Utah where it would pay for itself. For the most part generators are purchased because you want power when the utility is out and either want the luxury of the power, or have a high cost of power being down (not being able to work or produce, life support devices not working, spoilage, etc). With an aging grid across the country stressed under adverse weather conditions and liability issues from utilities there has been a dramatic increase in the demand for generators around the nation. That being said RMP is really pretty reliable and does a good job of distribution outside of weather events that are typically beyond their control. There are really three primary ways to get a payback on a generator outside of risk mitigation or power outage cost offsets that I am aware of, production arbitrage, peak shaving, and demand generation.

Production arbitrage: Most generator owners are not really able to effectively arbitrage in power generation as there isn't typically a high spark spread (the cost of producing with a natural gas unit vs utility cost fully factoring fuel cost, maintenance cost, and capital expense and financing costs). It is rare that this can offset the cost of the utilities cost if power is readily available. Additionally, as @Mouse mentioned these units are not designed to run as a prime power unit. Even most water cooled units are not typically prime rated. As you get into the industrial side there are certainly more options. They typically make the most sense when utility power is not readily available and the cost to install it is significant. It might also be a factor if you have a job site that moves frequently and would be best served by a mobile or skid mounted genset rather than moving the utility. Emissions becomes a significantly larger issue when you get into prime power and may be regulated by the local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ).

Peak shaving: There are some power rate plans that give demand charges. That is you pay a higher rate based on your highest 15 minute use during the month for the whole month. I'm not aware of many residences that would be on this type of a rate plan. The goal of peak shaving is to offset that highest 15 minute window. It is similar to production arbitrage in that the cost of the production (spark spread) still needs to be less but more often has a payback if you have demand charges and only have a few loads that cycling in frequently throughout the day or month. The idea is that you would use the generator to run the load during those peak times so you only pay your base rate for the month.

Demand Generation: There are some utilities and coop providers that offer a program that if you have a generator installed, then they will pay you to be able to turn it on and produce power to help distribute generation to offset their peak demand production shortages. This can help offset the cost of a generator, but I don't believe this is a program widely available in Utah.

TL/DR: Probably not in Utah for a residential generator as our cost of power is really pretty low.

Last edited: