Who's been to Cancun?

Caleb

What are some suggestions on things to do? My wife planned a trip for us and I don't know what there is to do down there. I want to do more than sit on the beach. So, people that have been, what are the things you would do again?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I worked down there for a couple weeks a couple years back.

Chichen itza (sp?) is way bitchin, but can be a long day.

If you have a chance, go snorkle/skuba on Cozumel--thats awesome.

I would also recomend going into the city--the resort cancun is just this jetty of land that extends off, the city of cancun is inland and downtown there are some good restaurants (it can be scary though).

Also, if you've never been to a walmart in mexico, it's worth the trip just for the experience. The buses will take you right to it.

Cody

Caleb

Cody said:
I worked down there for a couple weeks a couple years back.

Chichen itza (sp?) is way bitchin, but can be a long day.

If you have a chance, go snorkle/skuba on Cozumel--thats awesome.

I would also recomend going into the city--the resort cancun is just this jetty of land that extends off, the city of cancun is inland and downtown there are some good restaurants (it can be scary though).

Also, if you've never been to a walmart in mexico, it's worth the trip just for the experience. The buses will take you right to it.

Cody

:cool: good info, we are staying on the jetty but not far from downtown Cancun...I was told we are about a 5-10 min bus ride to the Walmart :D...I would like to go see some ruins and such (are they worth it?)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Chichen Itza is the largest set of mayan ruins in the world. There are a hundred or so buildings spread out over several miles if I remember correctly including the largest pyramid on the yucatan. I actually never made it to chichen itza (it's like a 4 hour bus ride), but everyone I've ever talked to that had said it was awesome. If you're going to see ruins go to those, or Ux-mal is supposed to be cool too (but I think thats farther north).

Cody

V-DAWG

someday
I stayed at Playa Del Carmen, about 45 min out of Cancun. Topless beaches, nice white sand, excellent food. We traveled to Xel-Ha? and did some snorkeling and then to Tulum for Mayan ruins. Xel-Ha and Tulum were pretty close, and made for a great day trip. I would definitely see ruins again, and the snorkeling was awesome. You get to swim with all types of fish that you only see on the discovery channel, and they aren't afraid to let you close.

Caleb

V-DAWG said:
I stayed at Playa Del Carmen, about 45 min out of Cancun. Topless beaches, nice white sand, excellent food. We traveled to Xel-Ha? and did some snorkeling and then to Tulum for Mayan ruins. Xel-Ha and Tulum were pretty close, and made for a great day trip. I would definitely see ruins again, and the snorkeling was awesome. You get to swim with all types of fish that you only see on the discovery channel, and they aren't afraid to let you close.

:rofl: I think just about all the beaches are going to be topless beaches during the time I will be there (Spring Break)...thanks for the info guys...looks like the ruins and snorkling will be on my to do list ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
if you go snorkling, take a tortilla with you. when we went on cozumel the guide kept tossing fish food by us and the fish would just swarm around you. it was awesome. it was just a tortilla he was tearing little pieces off of and throwing.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
Supergper said:
What are some suggestions on things to do? My wife planned a trip for us and I don't know what there is to do down there. I want to do more than sit on the beach. So, people that have been, what are the things you would do again?[/QUOT

The wife and I try to get down there every other year to abuse our timeshare at the Royal Sands. some of the things we have done include: sunset dinner cruise, cenote snorkelling, numerous ruins to include, tolum, chitzen-itza, xel-ha, pronounced shell-ha, reef dives, and of course the wal-mart experience! Best advice is to get off the compound and go see the country. go mingle with the locals! KENNETH !!

nvrstsfyd

Donating Member
We stayed at the Melia Terquesa it was awsome we also was ther during spring break, great time to go :D Would love to go back been planning another trip. We went snorkeling but I do not remember the name of it but it was awsome. It was not XEL-HA, it was on on a coral reef in the middle of the ocean. They took us out on these little boats out to the middle of the ocean & said jump. We were swimming with about 4' barrecuda's got some good pics with a disposable underwater camera. I will ask my wife & see if she remembers & let you know.