Who's got UROC pics?

Ryan

Originally posted by RockMonkey

My name Is Braden Kemp. I was driving a tan and black exo caged YJ w/38s. You must have done obstacle ten early the first day. None of the rocks were shifted around yet. Man did that thing change by the end of the comp. Here's a pic of mine.

Cool. I think I passed you on the freeway on the way home. I didn't check in until Friday morning at 3 peaks, so I ended up last in line on #10 for day one. I came back and checked it out on Saturday, and it was a totally different obstacle. #8 changed a bit as well. I was glad I ended up on that one on Saturday. I saw a few people having a hard time with it before the big rock was moved out of the way.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Carl and I were first in line for #10 on the second day. I was hearing conflicting comments about the difficulty before and after the big rock was moved. The rock, of course was gone when we ran the obstacle and we didn't find the approach up the ledges hard at all. Just curious...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by Ryan

Cool. I think I passed you on the freeway on the way home. I didn't check in until Friday morning at 3 peaks, so I ended up last in line on #10 for day one. I came back and checked it out on Saturday, and it was a totally different obstacle. #8 changed a bit as well. I was glad I ended up on that one on Saturday. I saw a few people having a hard time with it before the big rock was moved out of the way.
By the time we drove #10 late on Saturday it was really hard, but we were able to get to the top of it okay, then we timed out screwing with the cone at the top of the climb. #8 was our easiest obstacle. WE just took three back up points and were through.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Here is my opinion on the changing difficulty of obstacle #10.

The obstacle actually started out pretty easy with the first few competitors crawling right up it. Rick Beard was first and he walked right up it, then Brandon Dawson pulled a bone headed move and rolled at the bottom. That diamond plate thing also walked right up it early on Friday. Everyone started by staying far to the left.

I don't remember who exactly moved the rock, but about the time the first group had been through someone's vehicle pushed a rock off the top climb that got wedged in a crack. The presence of that rock made the line of the left side more tricky as a few competitors were getting hang up on it. (I see that it is in Ryan's pictures so it got moved before he got there). With the rock there people started taking the right side close to the big rock and all of a sudden a lot of the Legends guys were winching it.

This line was more difficult and quite a few competitors were putting the driver's side tire against the rock and using it for traction to pull themselves up. Then Dan Brown came and proceeded to back into the rock about 5 times while trying to climb the top ledge, each time pushing it further back towards the edge. Soon after Bryan Teague (full size Bronco) came along and nudged the rock with his driver's side tire causing it to fall. With this rock gone the obstacle was more difficult. The scores on the obstacle for the first group averaged around 20, but after the first rock was moved they went up closer to 30 when everyone started winching. After the big rock fell there was a signifcant proportion of people pointing out.

The second day the scores were much higher, with I'd say 60% of the competitors pointing out. There were only a few people who crawled up it the second day: Vonski, Curt Hildebrand, and Dean Bulloch. Captain America basically flew up it.

Oddly enough the second to last competitor broke a front driveline and had to be winched back down and off the hill. In the process he pulled the big rock out of the line on the left side, making the obstacle much easier. The final competitor, Jeff Rector, crawled up the left line, but had to use his winch to get up the ledge at the top.

Ryan

On #10, after 3 or 4 backs we drove up the right side, got the rear diff hung up on the rock in the middle, somehow busted a stub shaft(not bound up or anything, no real weight on the tire), and had to winch up over the top. After that we peeled a tire off trying to get out of the bottom and it was over. We timed out 10 feet from the end.

We ended up with 4 points on #8, due to my lack of turning radius. #12 was our best though, with -3, once more due to my crappy turning radius.

I really wish I would've tried to drive #4 and #6. We pulled up and strung out the cable right off the bat. Then on #5 we didn't even think to string out the cable. Oh well, it was only our 2nd comp, we're learning. Although I really hate to winch anything without trying it first.

What obstacles did you guys winch?

We winched #4 and #6 by choice, #10 because we broke, and #9 because we layed it on it's side(might have been able to drive out of it if I had injection).

I talked to a few people who said David Laws had the winch out on most of the obstacles, and he ended up 4th, as opposed to Von, who appears to have driven most of them, and ended up 3rd. Kinda screwy.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
That rock that hung your diff up, was the first one to get pushed down and the one that had people trying the left side.

Dave Laws used his winch on #10 and ended up with a 17, if I am remembering correctly. Von drove it and ended up with a 12.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
On #10, after 3 or 4 backs we drove up the right side, got the rear diff hung up on the rock in the middle, somehow busted a stub shaft(not bound up or anything, no real weight on the tire), and had to winch up over the top. After that we peeled a tire off trying to get out of the bottom and it was over. We timed out 10 feet from the end.

We ended up with 4 points on #8, due to my lack of turning radius. #12 was our best though, with -3, once more due to my crappy turning radius.

I really wish I would've tried to drive #4 and #6. We pulled up and strung out the cable right off the bat. Then on #5 we didn't even think to string out the cable. Oh well, it was only our 2nd comp, we're learning. Although I really hate to winch anything without trying it first.

What obstacles did you guys winch?

We winched #4 and #6 by choice, #10 because we broke, and #9 because we layed it on it's side(might have been able to drive out of it if I had injection).

I talked to a few people who said David Laws had the winch out on most of the obstacles, and he ended up 4th, as opposed to Von, who appears to have driven most of them, and ended up 3rd. Kinda screwy.
We winched #4 and drove the bottom of 5 perfectly, and pulled the winch right at the top, we ended up with 31 points on each of those (about the best we could have hoped for since we were in unlimited). We drove number 6. We would have done a lot better in the standings had we not broken a stupid frigging steering joint on 10, giving us 50 on 11 and 12. Everybody was getting negative scores on 12, and I'm sure we could have gotten through 11 with a good score. Oh well. We may be running smaller tires and more lift in Vernal, to get us into Legends, where we will place much higher.

Ryan

Originally posted by Floppy Hat
That rock that hung your diff up, was the first one to get pushed down and the one that had people trying the left side.

Dave Laws used his winch on #10 and ended up with a 17, if I am remembering correctly. Von drove it and ended up with a 12.

From the sound of it, and maybe you would know, they are looking at changing the Legend winch points or something for Vernal. If winching were, say, a 20 point penalty, more people might try an obstacle once or twice before spooling out the winch. I know I would have gave #4 and #6 a shot.

Ryan

Originally posted by RockMonkey

We winched #4 and drove the bottom of 5 perfectly, and pulled the winch right at the top, we ended up with 31 points on each of those (about the best we could have hoped for since we were in unlimited). We drove number 6. We would have done a lot better in the standings had we not broken a stupid frigging steering joint on 10, giving us 50 on 11 and 12. Everybody was getting negative scores on 12, and I'm sure we could have gotten through 11 with a good score. Oh well. We may be running smaller tires and more lift in Vernal, to get us into Legends, where we will place much higher.

With all the crap we broke, I'm suprised we ended up 12th. We had 8 40's(broke on every obstacle the first day), 16 on #4, 19 on #6, 4 on #8, and -3 on #12. If we could keep the stinkin' vehicle together I think we'd have a chance at being competitive, LOL.

What place did you end up?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
We ended up 20th in Unlimited. We got 40 on #1 and #10 (the ones we broke on), and 50's on 11 and 12. Samer thing, if we could keep from breaking stupid stuff we would be in the top ten. We will be running Legends in Vernal and WILL be in the top ten. :D

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser

From the sound of it, and maybe you would know, they are looking at changing the Legend winch points or something for Vernal. If winching were, say, a 20 point penalty, more people might try an obstacle once or twice before spooling out the winch. I know I would have gave #4 and #6 a shot.

I haven't heard anything about it, but that doesn't mean the powers that be aren't considering it.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
so I'm stupid.....and bored.
Your stories make me want to play. I also hear about the hhepy just fubaring and the will to webwheel is greater.
What is the differences in the classes? Whats a "legend"?
I have a toy 223-1 longfields detroits and a need to peel sheetmetal with an internal cage. I have the 4banger (getting tired :) ) and either 36 swamps or some 40 hawgs I need to cut to hell. What are the odds of me going out and actually surviving this "fun"? Vonski seems to have held together... :) Maybee its a toyota thing? I need to get my tow rig done and a winch then I can play. Just shootin the sheit if ya know what I mean.

Caleb

actually Skye I think yours would do pretty well...Troy Muse and Von (the only two toy pick-ups I believe) both were in the top ten in the legends...go here for the rules and limitations for each class...I would personally run the 36s and go for the legends class...if you were to run the 40s you would be bumped into the unlimited class...go for it I will be at the vernal event judging again...maybe I'll see you there...:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I don't think I will compete this year. I have too mutch else going on this summer. Maybee next year. Sounds like I need a center spreader anyways. I only have two, one over each door pillar.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Originally posted by Skyetone
I don't think I will compete this year. I have too mutch else going on this summer. Maybee next year. Sounds like I need a center spreader anyways. I only have two, one over each door pillar.

Aw c'mon, how long does it take to install an extra spreader? Come and beat the thing--it'll be the hardest, funnest wheelin you'll ever do. :p

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
9 posts for I lean? That doesn't seem right...
Lets see if i throw into my schedule a senter spreader on my rig............ About three months. :D When is the vernal event? Ya never know. Maybee I could take a weekend off to go play. Have my girl be my spotter :) anyone willing to volenteer to be a spotter? I do know how to drive.:cool: