General Tech Who's the hot transmission shop these days??

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Transmission. I don't want to know about trannies. :cody:

I'm going to need an '02 4L80e rebuilt here pretty soon, and would like maybe a few small upgrades. Who's got the skinny on where to go in the modern age? J&G still? Randy's is local to me but also fairly expensive.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've used a guy a few times to rebuild those transmissions, or that series anyways. He does it out of his house. He's an old guy and knows his stuff. And he is dirt cheap. You just need to do the R&R. If you're up for that I'll give you his info.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I am going to start using Tip Top, I have had a few issues recently that my previous preferred shop didnt make me happy on.

Joey at Tip Top has helped me diagnose a few trans and his willingness to help was much appreciated.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I am going to start using Tip Top, I have had a few issues recently that my previous preferred shop didnt make me happy on.

Joey at Tip Top has helped me diagnose a few trans and his willingness to help was much appreciated.

I don't know this guy or shop, but the willingness to help is HUGE in my opinion.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Talked to Ross at Tip Top and he really appreciates the referrals, and sou ds like he knows what he's talking about with 4L80e's, was familiar with all the upgrades I wanted and agrees with their relatively mild nature being perfect for my use. Didn't try to talk me into anything, very nice guy. Stoked to get my transmission in to them.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Talked to Ross at Tip Top and he really appreciates the referrals, and sou ds like he knows what he's talking about with 4L80e's, was familiar with all the upgrades I wanted and agrees with their relatively mild nature being perfect for my use. Didn't try to talk me into anything, very nice guy. Stoked to get my transmission in to them.

Thanks everyone!

Did this turn out well for you @Tacoma ?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not yet, I had to deal with other vehicles first. :( Still on my list, but it looks delayed a year. Probably get that in sometime around February.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Just looking fwd to making my T400 "automatic" vs the manual shift auto on the column.

I was using Tip Top exclusivley the last year or so and only dealt with Joey, But Joey passed away a few weeks back so Im not sure who to use moving forward.....

I have also used Intermountain trans in the past with good results so maybe Ill have to go back there

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I had heard good things about both of them... I interrogated Brandon pretty good about a lot of the 4L80e upgrades, and he was hip to all of them. We'll see how it goes when I can afford it :rofl: I've got a TH400 I need done.