Who's wrong?????

CJJ92yj

Yeah, it's average. Pretty big piece to ship though. Seems to be the way of the world in our business at least. Things always seem to bet bigger.

fjcruisin

CJJ92yj said:
Yeah, it's average. Pretty big piece to ship though. Seems to be the way of the world in our business at least. Things always seem to bet bigger.

From a shipping standpoint, when size greatly increases the cost, shipping in (two) pieces and welding on site might be more cost effective...just a thought. Glad to hear that the team is working again. ;)

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
CJJ92yj said:
I would love to say the layout was wrong. In fact, probably everyone would like that. AT least it's something solid to point your finger at and say that's what was wrong. But the entire engineering department is sure that I had the correct layout for the geometric shape I was trying to make. And that shape was the most obvious one to use when we started. But time told us that in fact it wasn't the right one. It was all but imposible for us to form with the equipment we have.

Don't take this the wrong way.....But, working for Ford MoCo I typically see that engineering is usually at fault. Just because it looks pretty and perfect on paper doesn't mean it will work on the car? or the Ore Bin udder in your case...

Ever changed a starter motor on a Northstar? I'd love to meet that engineer.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I hate Ford engineers. The rear door latch on my E350 should be bolted on very simple, maybe with say, bolts, into oh I don't know, nuts? But no! It's a better idea to have some kind of aluminum safety Torx, maybe made of butter, screwed into a flange that is retained by louvered slats punched into the door. That way, if some asshat backs into your open door and you have to fix it in 40mph wind and 38 degree temps, it will only take you an hour to hacksaw through it and get it straightened out, so you can put a standard set of nuts and bolts in there and tighten the latch down in it's new position.

Also mighty nice of them to put the !@#$ passenger side spark plugs CLOSER to the body and the heater core AND angle them the wrong way, so you can't reach them easily at all. I really appreciate that.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Tacoma said:
I hate Ford engineers. The rear door latch on my E350 should be bolted on very simple, maybe with say, bolts, into oh I don't know, nuts? But no! It's a better idea to have some kind of aluminum safety Torx, maybe made of butter, screwed into a flange that is retained by louvered slats punched into the door. That way, if some asshat backs into your open door and you have to fix it in 40mph wind and 38 degree temps, it will only take you an hour to hacksaw through it and get it straightened out, so you can put a standard set of nuts and bolts in there and tighten the latch down in it's new position.

Also mighty nice of them to put the !@#$ passenger side spark plugs CLOSER to the body and the heater core AND angle them the wrong way, so you can't reach them easily at all. I really appreciate that.

I'm sure it all looked good on paper or CAD! ;) It's not just Ford though...this is synonomous of engineers across the board. They design their little piece, don't care how it interfaces, how to service it, or how much it will inconvenience someone in the future!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I just have to wonder sometimes. Tapped holes have GOT to be easier to incorporate than louvers, flanges, and sneaky bolts.

Bitching aside, I'm happy that there are engineers. They make better stuff than I can LOL... just too bad there are so many over-thinking nutsacks on the job.

back to topic, that's a damn big funnel if you ask me. How much does that weigh???

CJJ92yj

fjcruisin said:
From a shipping standpoint, when size greatly increases the cost, shipping in (two) pieces and welding on site might be more cost effective...just a thought. Glad to hear that the team is working again. ;)

In most cases this is true. But considering the difficulty the shop has had in fitting it up, along with the fact of where this thing is going to be erected at the jobsite (they have almost no lay down area), it was decided that it would be cheaper in the long run to ship it in two huge pieces rather than 19 smaller pieces. At ther rates of field crews, if it didn't fit right the first time, we would be losing even more money.

BTW, that shipping section shown in the picture weighs in at just under 30,000 pounds.