Why Do You Wheel?

Evolved

Less-Known Member
This may be better suited for the chit chat section.

Why do YOU wheel?

This is a question that was brought up to me recently while on a business trip chatting with a customer of mine. He randomly asked what I do for fun. I gave him the usual, spend time with my kids/wife/family, ski in the winter, hike and bike in the summer and then "ohhh, I wheel too". He said, "so, you drive in the mud?". No my friend, I absolutely hate mud. He's from Houston and definitely a city guy, probably hasn't spent much time outdoors. I started to show him pictures of my weapon of choice (my 4 seat tube buggy) and he replies with "why? I mean really, why?" it got me thinking... My first response at first was a social thing that I did with a core group of buddies. Then as we grew up our Jeeps grew up too. We went from daily driver Jeeps to dedicated trail cars that only get trailered to trails.

On my flight home from Houston I really started to think about why I wheel and why others wheel. I know some of us like to drive up sketchy stuff, some like to be outdoors and use our vehicles to get as far away from everyone else as possible, some of us like to build/fix, some of us like the community and some of us... well, I can't think of any other reasons right now.

For me, when I was younger I liked the adrenaline rush of driving over big rocks. Now, with a 4 and 6 year old in the back the rush isn't as appealing. I can't bear the thought of my kids/wife getting hurt from my actions . Now, it's more of a family excursion because the chance of me getting away to wheel without my son or daughter would be a battle of epic proportions. My kids love it! I do not have the skills to fabricate anything I would put my life on the line with (ex. roll cage or suspension stings). I don't really have the time anymore to wrench and now I make enough money to offset the lack of wrenching time to pay someone to do my dirty work (unfortunate but that's my life/work life these days). So, in the end I guess it is a social thing for me. Get outside with friends/family and make memories. My core group of friends got me into this hobby/lifestyle and they keep me in it to this day. If something were to ever happen to any of us, I don't think I would keep the buggy. Maybe a 4 door or decently built LJ could be in my future, more camping/exploring and less heart racing, adrenaline water fall climbs...

So, why do you wheel?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I wheel to get out in our beautiful world and see what most people never will, to see the opposite of what I'm forced to see everyday. A dirt road is enough for me most of the time, but a difficult trail challenges my driving skill and gives me a slow adrenaline release.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I grew up on it. @Hickey being my dad, jeeps have been around as far back as I can remember. Because of that some of my best memories with family, and friends happened in an offroad vehicle. Especially memories with my dad who wasn't around as much due to complicated work schedules.
Another thing is that it forces you to look at nature closer and slower. This is a conversation I had with my wife back when we first started dating and I took her out in the Jeep for the first time. She was surprised at how much she loved "driving slow" through the woods and how different it is from taking a drive on a normal road even through a beautiful environment. The slow factor of having to drive through technical terrain causes you to really sit and stare at whats around you and really appreciate it.
I also love that feeling of putting some work into your vehicle and knowing it's yours. That you know that vehicle in and out.
And lastly I do enjoy the Social Status of having a "Sweet Rig." I daily my Jeep, and when it's not broken and making a racket due to a messed up driveshaft or destroyed differential...., I love getting the stares and people telling me they like it or how cool it is. I'm totally humble about it.

It truly is something I love and never want to give up.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It's always been about the challenge for me. The challenge used to be daily driving my Jeep(s) and still pushing their limits off road on the weekends. Now the challenge is putting my skills and vehicle up against drivers from all over in a competitive setting. It's ridiculously fun and I feel lucky to be able to participate, let alone win.

I also thoroughly enjoy rec wheeling with my wife and kids- they love it! Introducing people to my hobby is also a thrill for me. I had the opportunity to take a family from my ward to Moab this spring. They rented a Jeep and we did some trails. It was awesome! I forgot how much fun it is to share it with people. Most people can tell it's a huge part of my life within a few minutes of meeting me so it's cool to show them why.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It's always been about the challenge for me. The challenge used to be daily driving my Jeep(s) and still pushing their limits off road on the weekends. Now the challenge is putting my skills and vehicle up against drivers from all over in a competitive setting. It's ridiculously fun and I feel lucky to be able to participate, let alone win.

I also thoroughly enjoy rec wheeling with my wife and kids- they love it! Introducing people to my hobby is also a thrill for me. I had the opportunity to take a family from my ward to Moab this spring. They rented a Jeep and we did some trails. It was awesome! I forgot how much fun it is to share it with people. Most people can tell it's a huge part of my life within a few minutes of meeting me so it's cool to show them why.

I'll echo this! Except I don't care for the competitions. I like the personal challenge of completing a trail or obstacle regardless of if I was able to do it better or in less time than another. I also love the challenge of building something that will work in these scenarios. Sometimes I like building more than wheeling, sometimes it's the other way around.

Pike2350

I live to wheel for the general community and the people you meet. Although lately it's been harder and harder to get out.... and I feel less connected to the community overall. I have very few friends that wheel at all... and my wife is scared to take my daughter out....more for the inconvenience then fear of flopping.... do its been hard to get her out.

ID Bronco

It used to be for the challenge of conquering the trail. I was fortunate to do 90% of the trails I had on my list. I also loved our club and the friendships I made there and here. As my family grew and didn't fit in my rig, it got more difficult.

I also got tired of wrenching, I like to drive, not work on my rig.

Now, it's the means to the end, I do it 90% of the time to get to a fishing hole or a hunting spot. It's pretty tame anymore, but I will get into the tougher stuff again, I still have the itch. I just can't do every hobby I want to all at once.

Houndoc

I would say simply to get away from normal routine.
I get that in a number of ways- my horses(try for a couple rides a week, or even just hanging out with them while cleaning the pen), wheeling, the once or twice a year my boat hits the water, or more recently increased travel.
I guess that since I have a range of ways to relax and explore is why none of them happen very often.

The_Lobbster

I find driving relaxing, some people say it's weird, but I enjoy just driving for hours at a time to scenic places. When I got into wheeling, it just made sense. I'm not into the crazy hardcore stuff, but I love a good trail ride through the mountains.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I find driving relaxing, some people say it's weird, but I enjoy just driving for hours at a time to scenic places. When I got into wheeling, it just made sense. I'm not into the crazy hardcore stuff, but I love a good trail ride through the mountains.
I'd like to add that to my reasons as well. I just love to be behind the wheel.