Why don't you go to EJS?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
monday thru sunday this year! this will be my #4
i love safari, but get irritated at times. i don't drink so i don't really get involved with the drama down there. i think it is a blast waking up early and hitting a trail, going to the motel and sitting in the hot tub and then hitting another trail and sitting in the tub again.
it is also fun to watch morons break their stuff because they think they need to impress people.
i just hope no one gets hurt this year.

and moab is better than work for sure, plus i have some vacation hours to spare.

for those of you that are bitter, thats cool... to each his own

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
2BIGTJ said:
It is really what you make of it, go down have a good time... Like I say 10 minutes of wheeling a day is much better than 10 minutes of going to work.
But why waste vacation time going during a week that you can only wheel 10 minutes per day, when you can go any other week of the year and wheel all day?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
2BIGTJ said:
............ I love running trails and stopping to watch a guy try an obstical while hanging out and talking with my friends, to me that is part of the fun. ...........

Honestly, that's probably my biggest beef about wheeling with any kind of group. The guy that takes 47 tries and finally breaks his D35 on Rocker Knocker because of too much throttle, too much stress (driver and axle) and who knows what else..............the "joy" of that is dragging said under-prepared rig either back down the canyon, running to get parts (cuz that guy doesn't even have tools or spares), or dragging said under-prepared rig up that little off-camber hill before rockpile that is becoming a little more hairy every year, rockpile and yellow hill. Then you get to drag the junk the 20 miles back to the highway. Not a lot of fun, IMHO.......(esp. with your kids doing what kids like to do in cars)......

I'm kind of a 3 strikes and you're out kind of guy (give me a strap or winch line), to keep things moving. I don't mind waiting, but try to make it reasonable for everyone involved.........If you've got an idea on an unconventional line (I always like to try things), go for it, but if it doesn't work out, don't ruin my ability to get on to other things. Listen to the trail leader or someone with some experience on the trail and use their knowledge to get your rig through. That's fun....keeping things moving.....seeing the country......not fixing broken parts (OK, that can be fun/creative, but that's not the whole reason I go)....spending time with new/old friends, etc.

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
mbryson said:
Honestly, that's probably my biggest beef about wheeling with any kind of group. The guy that takes 47 tries and finally breaks his D35 on Rocker Knocker because of too much throttle, too much stress (driver and axle) and who knows what else..............the "joy" of that is dragging said under-prepared rig either back down the canyon, running to get parts (cuz that guy doesn't even have tools or spares), or dragging said under-prepared rig up that little off-camber hill before rockpile that is becoming a little more hairy every year, rockpile and yellow hill. Then you get to drag the junk the 20 miles back to the highway. Not a lot of fun, IMHO.......(esp. with your kids doing what kids like to do in cars)......

I'm kind of a 3 strikes and you're out kind of guy (give me a strap or winch line), to keep things moving. I don't mind waiting, but try to make it reasonable for everyone involved.........If you've got an idea on an unconventional line (I always like to try things), go for it, but if it doesn't work out, don't ruin my ability to get on to other things. Listen to the trail leader or someone with some experience on the trail and use their knowledge to get you rig through. That's fun....keeping things moving.....seeing the country......not fixing broken parts (OK, that can be fun/creative, but that's not the whole reason I go)....spending time with new/old friends, etc.
I also agree with you on this one Mark, I realy try to stay away from the Extreme hard trail on the busy days.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
mbryson said:

I'm kind of a 3 strikes and you're out kind of guy (give me a strap or winch line), to keep things moving. I don't mind waiting, but try to make it reasonable for everyone involved.........If you've got an idea on an unconventional line (I always like to try things), go for it, but if it doesn't work out, don't ruin my ability to get on to other things. Listen to the trail leader or someone with some experience on the trail and use their knowledge to get your rig through. That's fun....keeping things moving.....seeing the country......not fixing broken parts (OK, that can be fun/creative, but that's not the whole reason I go)....spending time with new/old friends, etc.
Marc, get that rig done. We'll assemble some small, capable, prepared groups and get some wheeling done. ;) Of course, we're all gonna hafta bring some tools now since ypou won't be able to carry them all anymore...

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
RockMonkey said:
Marc, get that rig done. We'll assemble some small, capable, prepared groups and get some wheeling done. ;) Of course, we're all gonna hafta bring some tools now since ypou won't be able to carry them all anymore...

The Old and Bitter Wheelers post EJS Moab Adventure :D

N-Smooth

RockMonkey said:
But why waste vacation time going during a week that you can only wheel 10 minutes per day, when you can go any other week of the year and wheel all day?
i have a govt job so i have plenty vacation and holidays ;)
i honestly have only had a couple situations where i was irritated with the crowded trails.
one was on moab rim, it was a solid line of rigs from top to bottom with some moron in a fs ford trying to go up the first obstacle and he blew the rearend. so he was trying it in fwd and he had a cj winch him up it in reverse and the cj blew its huge dana 30 frontend.
i was pissed about that, but we weren't in the line yet so we took off.
another time was on hells revenge everyone was parked all over the place around the tubs and we wanted to get around them. pita!

otherwise it has been great, we ran poison spider, gold bar rim and the other one last year in one day and it wasn't even crowded. we got up early one day to do the rim and it took us an hour, not one jeep was up there besides us.
i personally don't think it is as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but like i said before: it doesn't matter if you go or not.
though it would be cool to see some rme people down there

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
James K said:
I It is what you make of it.
Diddo and no more crapmanche :( but a new buggy will be coming :) anyway Its all how you want it to be(although all the people do make it hard to get a good hotel room) :ugh:

Attachments

• 12-28-04_2255.jpg
    12-28-04_2255.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

N-Smooth

crapmanche4l said:
Diddo and no more crapmanche :( but a new buggy will be coming :) anyway Its all how you want it to be(although all the people do make it hard to get a good hotel room) :ugh:

the hotel room thing is a myth.
last year we got two rooms for 4 days just a week before we went down.
its not hard at all to get a room

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
xj_punk said:
the hotel room thing is a myth.
last year we got two rooms for 4 days just a week before we went down.
its not hard at all to get a room
We called two years ago in feb and they were already full for easter week

harkinoff

something to do...
I'm thinking of heading down? Didn't have a very good experience last time, Moab is alot more fun when their isn't Jeep safari, not saying jeep safari isn't fun. You go down for the crowd I guess, kinda like going to Sturgis during the ralley in my opinion. Its something to do and see :cool:

gksspot

Ive been the last two years. The first year was great because I was new to it and didnt know better. The second year was VERY frustrating with all the people on the trails. We tried to run Hells Revenge Saturday afternoon and the police blocked the road because of the crap going on at Potato Salad Hill.
I still plan to go this year because its right before finals week and it can be relaxing (hot tubbing, eating lots of continental breakfasts, and of course enjoying the scenery) This year I plan to wake up very early to hit the trails then during the day I can sleep and play around the pool or something. I think my biggest draw is looking at other peoples rigs... its fun to see how they customized their stuff.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
Bingo. Vacation time is sacred. It must be well used and stress free.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:

Well, that is the glory of living only 4.5 hours from Moab. I can (and usually do) go to Moab about a half dozen times a year. EJS is fun because my brother comes down. Part of EJS is the socialization aspect and meeting new people, seeing some cool rigs, cruising through the spanish trail arena while all the vendors are out there. Obviously, there is lots that could make the experience less enjoyable, but during that week, the cell phone is turned off and the work computer is not fired up.

Most importantly, by registering, I feel I am helping the RR4W in their efforts.

Hickey said:
Bingo. Vacation time is sacred. It must be well used and stress free.

Stress is really how you react to a situation. I tend to select trails that don't take all day (made the mistake two years ago of signing up for behind the rocks....took all day!!), and I understand that the group is not going to be moving very fast. I just sit back and enjoy the day.

I usually sign up for trails in the middle to end of the week (wed-fri), so they're not quite as busy as big saturday.