Why Toyota Guys Are The Worst Kind Of Offroaders

Kevin B.

Big hippy

We should fight about it, except there's no point because Toyotas are clearly superior.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Haha. I love and hate Toyota. Love: their conservative philosophy toward making vehicles means finding trouble free platforms that get their kinks worked out and run for years with minimal surprises and issues. Underpowered in Toyota land means not enough power to break stuff. Don't go overcomplicating the offerings to the consumers and focus on simple and reliable. HATE: their conservative philosophy toward making vehicles means all their vehicles, even the tundra/200 cruiser, are underpowered and less fun to drive, yet have the added insult of worst-in-class-for-eternity fuel economy. Not overcomplicating the offerings to the consumer means my 6-seater basic f150 had both a rear locker and 36 gallon fuel tank, while toyota offers neither of those on my 6 seaters tundra.

But...at the end of the day I still prioritize simple and reliable over all other car buying criteria, so they keep getting my $$$. Also that big rear roll down window in the tundra is the cat's meow.

Last edited:

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've owned two Toyota's and have loved them both. I had a Tundra and a 2013 Hilux when I was in Australia. That Hilux could go anywhere I pointed it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Meh... at best meh.

His name "Captain Daytrip" says it best. Any vehicle is suitable for a daytrip.

While it's no secret I'm a Toyota fan, I really don't care what others drive to the point you'll never see me penning an article about why Toyota's are X, Z or Y. They work for me and my customers, they've taken me and my customers to amazing places. They would be boring and lame if everyone owned one.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I read the article...and I don't get it. Did he ever say why they're the worst? Is it just because Toyota guys like Toyotas?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Huh. I've owned 7 Jeeps, 3 Toyotas, and 2 Lexus SUV's. I'm currently a Lexus (Toyota) Fan, but I love the pre Chrysler Jeep CJ's and the 1st generation Broncos. I've had problems with both my Jeeps and my Toyotas, and broke stuff on both brands. My Toyotas have always broken at home or on the road while my Jeeps would strand me on the trail at the worst time.

I've made friends in both communities, and enjoy ribbing both sides. I'll never own another Chrysler product, but really love the look and capabilities of Jeeps.

All of that said, I'm excited to see the new Bronco, and hope it has a removable top. That might be enough to get me to sell one of my Lexus' and get it...

iamjimbrady

Huh. I've owned 7 Jeeps, 3 Toyotas, and 2 Lexus SUV's. I'm currently a Lexus (Toyota) Fan, but I love the pre Chrysler Jeep CJ's and the 1st generation Broncos. I've had problems with both my Jeeps and my Toyotas, and broke stuff on both brands. My Toyotas have always broken at home or on the road while my Jeeps would strand me on the trail at the worst time.

I've made friends in both communities, and enjoy ribbing both sides. I'll never own another Chrysler product, but really love the look and capabilities of Jeeps.

All of that said, I'm excited to see the new Bronco, and hope it has a removable top. That might be enough to get me to sell one of my Lexus' and get it...
Hopefully Ford doesn't do to the new Bronco what Chevrolet did to the Blazer. What a crying shame.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
X2. I think Ford should look to the raptor and the Rubicon as inspiration: build something the enthusiast community approves of and it will sell like crazy. So much potential for the bronco, I'm standing by ready to sell/mortgage whatever to get into one if they do it right... But I have a sinking feeling it will be another FJ Cruiser moment. Great vehicle, just not up to the promise of what it should have been.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
X2. I think Ford should look to the raptor and the Rubicon as inspiration: build something the enthusiast community approves of and it will sell like crazy. So much potential for the bronco, I'm standing by ready to sell/mortgage whatever to get into one if they do it right... But I have a sinking feeling it will be another FJ Cruiser moment. Great vehicle, just not up to the promise of what it should have been.

From what i've read that is exactly what Ford has done, looking more at the Raptor end of it. One spy pic I saw almost looked like a removable top was a possibility but i'm not holding my breath

Coco

The irony is that the 3.4L didn't have head gasket issues... the 3VZ however :D
Exactly. I had a SAS'd 3rd gen 4runner (some may remember it) it had the original engine in it, and it had 350K when I sold it. That is what the odometer said, but it also had an issue at the t-case where it wouldn't always read speeds, so it definitely had more than what was said on the cluster. It still had a lot of power to push the 37s it was on around as well.
You’re just jealous because even side by sides have real frames...

Haha, ZING!!!