Wife wants me to buy a new car

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
So I have been in love with the new Dodge Challengers for the past 5 years. Every time I see one I drool and point them out. Like them or not that is the only car on the market right now that I dream of purchasing. I always say that one day I will buy a Challenger. Here arises my problem, I am a total cheap skate. I have not had a car payment in over 10 years. I have a 97 TJ dedicated to offroad, another 99 TJ that was my Grandpas before he died and I use that as my daily driver. The 99 rides horrible, and always has, my grandpa even bought a new JK because he hated the way the TJ drove. I also have a truck to pull the Jeep to Moab and to drive in the snow.

Well fast forward to last week, I finally found the Challenger that fits all my criteria, great price, features etc. The problem is now I have found it I cannot pull the trigger. I almost feel guilty getting rid of the 99 TJ and getting a nice car. We have no payments other than our mortgage, we make good money and can easily afford the car but for some reason I am having trouble buying it. Maybe it is fear of a payment after not having one for so long. My wife has begged me to buy it and says that if I don't buy it I will continue a trend of saving all my money and never spending a dime on myself. I know this is the opposite problem some people have but I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever experienced this feeling? Did you buy the new toy and were you happy when you finally did buy it?

Sorry for the whinny ass post, I am just trying to get the nerve to pull the trigger.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
It sounds like you and I are in the exact same position financially.

I also think the Challenger is a bad ass car, but I don't have one in my driveway either. lol
As I've gotten older, I think more and more about how much of my life is spent at work, and how much energy I've expended in order to pay for toys.
Not having a car payment is something that I TRULY love. I consciously choose to drive older / cheaper vehicles.

I do wish my 03 TJ was still in the driveway though.

Just my $.02. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing what you want to do for yourself. I just know what I'd do in that situation (I am in that situation).

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I also choose to drive older cars, and have no car payments. I don't see that changing anytime soon. :) That doesn't help you with your decision at all, I know.

If you want the Challenger, buy it. If not, maybe throw a few bucks at the '99 TJ and make it drive better?

Jesser04

I’m the kinda of guy thars keeps vehicles for ever so I can justify the 5 years of payments because I plan on keeping it for ever. If it were me I’d keep the Jeep and daily drive it and the new car on the nights and weekends.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Sigmund Freud says, " you have an emotional attachment to the 99 because it connects you to your grandfather in some way"

You feel guilty about letting the 99 go, so keep it and get the Challenger

Caleb

Since you haven't had a car payment for 10 years, I'm sure you've been putting that money in to a savings so that when you decide to buy your next vehicle, you can pay cash, right? :D I have no payments, and I specifically save for my vehicles but every time I buy a new one, I go through the same dilemma. Of course, I almost always end up buying the vehicle anyways and only sometimes do I regret my decision :p

rholbrook

I have been spending time in Detroit lately and its pretty cool seeing all the cars wrapped in blankets, etc. One thing I notice quickly was all the Chargers and Challenger Hell Cats and Srt8s. So cool, love them. Do it!!!!

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Years ago we had this kid start working where i work. He had just turned 19 after working a few weeks with us and on his birthday he went out and bought a brand new challenger, manual, with a v8:beer:. We knew what kind of cash he was making and gave him a hard time for blowing his wad on such a nice car, and when we finally asked him why he would spend a decent chunk of his money on it all he said was "I'm only going to be 19 once". That really open my eyes on spoiling ones self. You never know when your time will be up and if you want it, can afford, can back out of it later with minimal loss, then why the hell not?

He ended up meeting his future mother in law with that car, and because she loved it so much she introduce her daughter to him. The car is gone and he has two wonderful kids now and the the cherished memory of that car.

Agility Customs

Vendor
My wife and I buckled down and paid off every vehicle we had and went 2-3 years without a car payment and it was glorious. She had always wanted a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and I kept pushing her to buy one. We finally settled on an SRT Grand cherokee and as amazing as it is and so much fun to drive, after the newness wore off we both decided that we arent any happier with it than we were with her old car. At the same time we dont regret buying it at all. Looking back if we were to do it again we probably would have kept driving her car until it completely crapped the bed and then got into something we could have paid cash for.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I really appreciate all the feedback. I know it seems silly to be torn between purchasing a new car but what can I say other than I am a weird dude.

Last Friday I made up my mind and I purchased the Challenger. It is a 2016 R/T Plus, nothing too crazy or fast but man am I happy with the purchase. The first night I laid in bed wondering what the hell I just did, but each time we take it out, we just smile and agree it was the right purchase at the time. Lie others mentioned, if we get in a few months and realize we want to get back to no payments, we will simply put a for sale sign in the window. I look forward to adding a few mods and tinkering with her. I must say it is a whole new world for me, I have always just worked on the Jeep so now I am reading and learning a lot about this type of vehicle. I must say it is kind of fun and refreshing.

I really do appreciate you guys taking time to comment. It helped me finally make up my mind.
Challenger.jpg