Wiggys sleeping bags

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So I've been aware of Wiggys for several years, they're a local company here in Grand Junction that builds amazing bags (as well as other related items) for the outdoorsman. I have a Kelty Cosmic 20 sleeping bag that I've been using for years, but it's an entry level 3 season bag and I've suffered/shivered thru some incredibly cold nights in it. This Summer I camped in the Henry's with a local buddy that had a Wiggys bag. We camped somewhere around 9,000 feet and it got pretty cold that night, I had a bag liner in addition to my Kelty and was still pretty cold. My buddy said he was nice and warm in his Wiggys and mentioned how they offer a Core sleeping bag + plus a Overbag that makes for a very warm winter bag. In the Summer time you can use the Overbag only and in the Spring and Fall you use the bag without the Overbag. Essentially you're getting 3 bags when you get the Overbag with the Core.

Some pretty interesting things that are different than most sleeping bags... they actually recommend washing the bag often, storing it IN the stuff sack and they come with a lifetime guarantee! If the insulation ever breaks down and clumps up, the zippers malfunction, etc... they will either repair or replace the bag. They use a fill material called Lamilite and many people claim that even if the bag gets wet, you still stay warm in it.

I picked up a Super Light 0* bag with the Overbag, which gives it a -40* rating. They say it weighs 5#'s all together but it's HUGE, not a bag you'd want to take backpacking. It's a car-camping bag for sure, at least the one I got. They probably have smaller/lighter bags that are more appropriate for backpacking, but I wanted warmth. After unpacking it, playing around with it and climbing into it, I'm already a fan. I tend to get cold at night anyway, especially my feet... hopefully the new Wiggys bag will keep me nice & toasty! My wife wants one too, but she doesn't really like Winter camping.

http://www.wiggys.com/

I have an upcoming Winter camping trip next weekend... a 2 night January trip ought to be a great test of the bag! I'll be sure to update the thread with my findings!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Awesome company, without crazy pricing. I love it! I'm gonna have to get one of their 0* bags. Gets chilly camping at WWRock events, and my old Kelty bags are done.

Houndoc

I love mine. Can't remember the model name for mine, but is rated for -60F. Have used it on the Canadian tundra. Not sure of temperature in the tent, but the water bottles under my cot took 30 minutes plus in hot water before could start pouring a little off to drink, and would get hot at night.

Also picked up some great mits from them as well, although don't think they manufactured them. Have used them in -40 air (-80ish windchills) and don't get cold.

I also like the personal service. When I was deciding exactly what I needed "Wiggy" himself called to talk about what I would be doing and guided the decision making process.

DAA

They say it weighs 5#'s all together but it's HUGE, not a bag you'd want to take backpacking.

That's nothing for a car camping bag. The one I've been using year round for over 17 years now weighs 15 pounds. It takes up quite a bit more space in the Jeep than my Springbar does.

- DAA

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I had a guy talk my ear off one day about how awesome Wiggy's bags are. I guess he works with troubled teens and they take groups out winter camping fairly often.. He swore there wasn't a better cold weather bag out there. Other than that I haven't heard much about them. Yeah, I know 'cool story bro' :rofl:

Keep us posted I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of it.

Houndoc

Photo is a musher, checkpoint about 100 miles south of Churchill, Manitoba. -20F or there abouts, mild winds.

resting.jpg

He spent his night (well, the 3-4 hours of sleep he got on the trail) just using his Wiggy's bag, no tent.

Greg

Admin
That's nothing for a car camping bag. The one I've been using year round for over 17 years now weighs 15 pounds. It takes up quite a bit more space in the Jeep than my Springbar does.

- DAA

I was wrong, I had to weigh the Core and Overbag, plus their stuff sack last night... together they're 9#'s! I think what I read was that the Core bag was 5#'s, excluding the Overbag. I'll post some pics up at some point, for size reference.

Greg

Admin
So I need to follow this up.... I finally spent a night in it, it was pretty cold but not below freezing. The bag was WARM, almost too much come morning when the temps started rising again. That said, I wasn't too crazy about the head opening & the lack of a draw-string to tighten the bag around my face. I felt like there was a lot of heat escaping that could have been retained. Also, the material was very slippery on my mattress... I kept finding myself sliding off.

Not sure if this bag is perfect, it's warm but there are some things that are annoying and a few minor changes could make it a great Winter bag.

Houndoc

So I need to follow this up.... I finally spent a night in it, it was pretty cold but not below freezing. The bag was WARM, almost too much come morning when the temps started rising again. That said, I wasn't too crazy about the head opening & the lack of a draw-string to tighten the bag around my face. I felt like there was a lot of heat escaping that could have been retained. Also, the material was very slippery on my mattress... I kept finding myself sliding off.

Not sure if this bag is perfect, it's warm but there are some things that are annoying and a few minor changes could make it a great Winter bag.

I save my Wiggys for sub-zero.