Wilderness First Aid Courses

shortstraw8

20+ years ago when I worked a wilderness program we had a NOLS instructor for a basics class. It was a good class with a ton of information beyond just CPR basics. Not sure what they offer, but I am sure it would still be worth it.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Before covid, my plan was to take the NOLS Wilderness First Aid (2 day course) in March, then in December, the 11 (or 12) day Wilderness First Responder. Because of Covid, the March class, which I was signed up for, was canceled. I had not signed up yet for the WFR course, and I've decided to delay until I feel more confident that the courses will actually happen, in person. I just got an email with some classed listed but I need to go confirm whether the courses are actually going to happen in person or virtual. I won't do a virtual course.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Before covid, my plan was to take the NOLS Wilderness First Aid (2 day course) in March, then in December, the 11 (or 12) day Wilderness First Responder. Because of Covid, the March class, which I was signed up for, was canceled. I had not signed up yet for the WFR course, and I've decided to delay until I feel more confident that the courses will actually happen, in person. I just got an email with some classed listed but I need to go confirm whether the courses are actually going to happen in person or virtual. I won't do a virtual course.
Why’d you choose the NOLS course?

I've done the WFA course a couple of times through the BSA climbing instructors group. It is a very good course - seems like the content is licensed from the Red Cross. It is a 16 hour class and teaches advanced first aid for situations where help is more than a few hours away. BSA required it for any activity where you were more than 30-60 minutes from where an ambulance could drive to.

I've always entertained the idea of taking a Wilderness First Responder course, which, from what I understand, is a level above that and more akin to a basic EMT course, but with backcountry take on things.

Following.

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Why’d you choose the NOLS course?

In part because they were offering courses close to me - I live in South Carolina. The scheduled (and then cancelled) Wilderness First Aid course was at a college about 20 minutes from my house.

In part because NOLS is a brand I've heard of for a number of years. I'd not heard of any others really, although since I've delayed and will soon be living in my van, I'll be open to taking the course in just about any area of the country. So, when I decide to launch on a course, I'll continue to dig.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I did, yes. The two instructors that we had were very knowledgeable. I can't say enough about how much information they had and how well they presented the course. Top notch there. I'd say that if you feel like you're ever going to come into a situation where you think you might need to apply some first aid skill beyond putting on a bandage, its a worthwhile course to take.

It was heavily focused on the backpacking crowds needs, though. Which is useful for those of us operating with vehicles out in the backcountry, but also sorta overkill on the "how do you get someone with a compound femur fracture/impaled on a tree branch/suffering from extreme hypothermia out of the Alaskan backcountry on foot".

Also, and this is more of a humorous PSA I suppose; my buddy and I were VERY much the odd men out. The entire class of 25 was all the under 30, Birkenstock wearing, granola crunching, ultralight backpacking sort. We got some odd looks.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Is anyone interested in a training? I did just contact those folks and they would be willing to tailor a class for 4x4 use. We'd need a few participants to make it worth their time. Who's interested?
I am interested if they have a course description and cost. I do basic 1st aid and CPR cert for work, and will be doing more training this year, but it isn't geared to wilderness. How many people do they need to make it worth while? I know some folks on Expedition Utah were looking for training too.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I am interested if they have a course description and cost. I do basic 1st aid and CPR cert for work, and will be doing more training this year, but it isn't geared to wilderness. How many people do they need to make it worth while? I know some folks on Expedition Utah were looking for training too.

They asked for 10-14 folks. I do think it'd be pretty easy to get that many between the two sites?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What is the associated cost? I think I would be down pending dates.

I think it's $200 for a 2 day first aid course. They have a 2 week Responder course but I'm not sure I'm up for that personally. What dates work? Sometime this fall? Better to do it away from town somewhere where phones don't work or better to do it in a conf room smelling of bacon?