Official Will An Off-Road Trailer Work For Me? The Off-Road Trailer Conundrum

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Will An Off-Road Trailer Work For Me? The Off-Road Trailer Conundrum

LWTM%20023%20(Medium).jpg

Needles District of Canyonlands

Similar to my Roof Top Tent overview, I hope to explore the thought process and logic behind an off-road trailer and specifically help those on the fence decide if they really need a trailer. Let me preface this by saying my experience with off-road trailers doesn't hold a candle to many out there that have been hauling off-road trailers around in the wilds of this world for decades. I have been fortunate to venture over parts of Utah, Colorado and Nevada with my trailer in tow for the last five years, my opinions are based on those experiences.

First, lets define the type of trailer we are talking about. My reference relates to off-road trailers designed to be towed by your 4x4 to remote places not possible with a standard utility trailer. Because of that they will likely have tires at or near the size of your vehicle. They will have hitches that don't inhibit motion or articulation, and are generally built to make your camping and travel experience more comfortable by allowing you to haul more gear. I am not referring to a tent trailer, whereas they can be beefed up for towing into the back country, my dialogue is more aimed at home built or commercially built trailers similar to the popular military surplus M416 or the modern Adventure Trailers offerings. In my opinion if the trailer couldn't be cleanly pulled through a trail such as Mineral Basin or even something a tad more difficult like Rattlesnake with no damage and minimal added effort, it can't really be considered an off-road trailer. On the same note I don't think it warrants the definition of an off-road trailer under the broader terms of 'overland' or 'expedition' use if it isn't highway friendly and capable of being towed at speed limits and for long distances with little encumbrance on the tow rig. The specs and benefits of the numerous different options on the market range that I have no intention of covering the product selection with this article so much as the need and uses of such trailers.

My involvement in trailers started in 2000. I was building my second Land Cruiser and had stumbled across a pile of Australian 4x4 Magazines that the owner of the old Cruiser Outfitters had in the office. Keep in mind the Aussie's are and have been building vehicles similar to the current 'overland' & 'expedition' trends we are seeing here in the US since vehicles first came about in their country, to them its not a new trend and surely isn't the novelty we've seen it become in our market today. In those magazines were pictures and advertisements of dedicated off-road trailers. Amenities ranging from sinks and stoves to tents and fridges. I must admit my needs at the time surely didn't warrant such a device so I was as guilty of the 'novelty' train of thought as any other. What it did do was start me thinking about how I would want to build a trailer. We had an old FJ40 tub kicking around and all the frames and axles I could possible want, being a single college student pretty much dictated I would build my own and at the time I was beyond excited to do so. I fabricated the front tub enclosure and mounted it to the back half of an old FJ55 frame, still running the Land Cruiser axle underneath. I bent the frame in front to create a tongue and later towed it home where it would sit for several years while I collected parts and brainstormed build plans. I won't detail my build as many of you remember it as it really was inspired and documented here on RME. (Click here for a series of articles I wrote on my build up) What I will detail is how my needs made the use of the trailer a reality and my current thoughts on off-road trailers in general.

My FJ40 was finished and I was soon dating the gal that is now my wife. Camping for a day or two was easy enough out of the back of the Land Cruiser but after a few long weekend camp trips we were soon feeling beyond cramped with the space and amenities available. I was faced with simple choices, come up with a different rig or finish off my trailer that I had always envisioned solving this problem. Finish the trailer it was. As detailed by my build articles I tried to envision every scenario that was cumbersome or inconvenient on a trip and design it into the trailer. Lack of storage, power, water, spare fuel, etc... all the things you typically think of when you consider a trailer right? I built many of these factors into my trailer and it really has worked out great for me. At the time I was super busy with school and still trying to head to the hills as much as possible, it was nice to just 'hitch up and go', leave everything but food in the trailer so getting out of town is less of a production.

Fast forward 5 years and I've really bounced around with the trailer. First, I am a big fan of the multiple vehicle setup, that is to say I think that it is impossible to build one vehicle to adequately cover the different types of off-roading I like to enjoy, in fact I think it would take a half dozen different builds but my budget and space don't allow so I'll digress there. When building my FJ40 I wanted it to work for the majority of the off-road travel I enjoyed, be it a Pritchett Canyon trip or a several hundred mile trip around the Great Salt Lake. Given the varied needs, the trailer was a natural fit. In the more recent years I've built a couple of Tacomas to serve as my long range camping vehicles when the miles will exceed the difficult trail opportunities. So with my current vehicle situation its likely that I would have never built a trailer, not that I couldn't have put it to good use on occasion, just that it would not have been a priority. Likewise if my chosen platform were larger, say an 80 Series or an XJ Jeep I don't think I would need the trailer either, with discretionary packing and well thought out gear it could be done sans trailer. That said even behind my double cab Tacoma the trailer get used, add a couple of passengers or our 100 lb German Shepherd and the cab of the truck is stuffed, the bed full so along comes the trailer. In the case of the Tacoma do I use it because I really need it or use it because its just easier? Likely more of the latter.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Now to the real question at hand, do you need one?

Lets start with a quick run down of the basic pros and cons. They are in no particular order; users will weight them differently based on their personal and family travel needs.

Pros
  • Added space. Bring more things and have less stuff in the cab. Allows for less discriminative packing and more comfortable things to be brought along.
  • Set & Forget. Leave the trailer loaded and accessorized with your standard gear. All you have to do is add food, water and fuel and your off.
  • Fast camp setup. The trailer prevents you from having to partially unload your vehicle, particularly when paired with a RTT.
  • Make an ideal platform for a RTT, low height and you can leave your tent set up at a basecamp while you are off exploring.
  • Ideal for a base camp setting. You can leave your trailer and gear secure at camp while off in the vehicle.
  • Ability to be towed behind different rigs, buy a new rig and you don't have to swap everything, share it between friends or family.

Cons
  • Cost and storage, simply put. Lets face it, you won't ever use it as much as you would like and when its not in use its sitting on the side of your house taking up space. A setup off-road trailer can cost anywhere from $1000-$10k+, not a small investment given the numbers of times they usually get used.
  • A literal boat anchor on the trail. You grow used to it being back there but without fail it will limit your travels to some degree and make you think a little harder about where you are going to turn around, where you are going to park and how you are going to maneuver through a tight section.
  • Must have vehicle capable of towing. Some vehicles are not up to the task of moving themselves with big tires let alone a trailer in tow. While they can be built rather lightweight (well under 1000 lbs for example) its still going to slow you down and impact your fuel economy.
  • Complexity. There is a lot to be said for just getting out there in a simple fashion. While it is nice to have the room to bring the kitchen sink this can lead to a backwards direction in which you over-complicate camp and take so much time setting up everything you bring that you defeat the purpose.
  • Size issues. Even for a large family with a smaller vehicle, the trailer might not be enough. Time for two rigs.
  • Added maintenance. While there is relatively low upkeep compared to a vehicle, you will need to need to keep an eye on bushings, bearings, gaskets, etc.

So you decide, is a trailer really for you? Will it really make your camping experiences any better or worse? Will it slow you down in a fast moving group or leave you seeking an alternate route? Do yourself a favor and write your own pros and cons list, you might be surprised how easy it is to fill the cons list while really struggling to justify the pros. I know I often have doubts myself. Not so much doubts when I am using it but doubts the other 350 days a year when it sits. This past summer I gave it a bunch of thought as I embarked with a passenger on a 4 day 300+ mile self supported trip through the desert in my FJ40. Not only did I leave the trailer behind but I left home all modern camping amenities such as my Freezer-Fridge and roof top tent. While the event (RelicRun.com) mandated the old-school simplistic approach I had the time of my life, one of the funner trips I have been on. It was simple, it was low-key and the Cruiser was packed tight to the ceiling. Our food was warm on the last day and a handful of rigs in our group ran out of gas. All part of the adventure I suppose. However if we would have had a 3rd passenger or my dog, it never would have happened, the trailer would have been an absolute necessity. So for my needs, the trailer is here to stay, but I will be the last person to recommend them as a 'standard' need as they just are not. Good luck with your decision!

Common commercially available Off-Road Trailer Brands:
3 Dog Camping
Adventure Trailers
Afrispoor Trailers
Bundu Trailers
Bushman Trailers
Bushwakka Trailers
Campa Trailers
Conqueror Trailers
Haul Tent Trailers
Jurgens Trailers
King Kampers
Merlin Trailers
Moby1 Trailers
Offroad International Trailers
Pikes Peak Trailers
Track Trailer
Offroad Trailerz
Outlander Trailers
Offroad Trailers
Rough Rider Trailer
Rugged Gear Trailers
Sierra 4x4 Trailers
Tentrax Trailers
(these are just the common names, there are literally dozens of other smaller, re-badged or our out of business manufactures/brands not to mention the countless custom built units. Some of these are not available in the US but I've added them just to show you some of the options)

Pics of some of the popular models to get your minds thinking :cool:

AT_Chaser.jpg

Adventure Trailers Chaser model

AT_Teardrop.jpg

Adventure Trailers Teardrop model

Bushman.jpg

Bushman Trailers

CAMPA_ATT.JPG

Campa ATT

Kimberley_Kamper.jpg

Kimberley Kamper

Tentrax.jpg

Tentrax

(all photos courtesy of manufactures websites)

Some pictures of my Trail-Trailer in use

Fall_Trip_Oct_2008%20077%20(Medium).jpg

Blue Notch on Lake Powell

PICT0045%20(Medium).JPG

Crossing the Fremont River

Homestead%2007%20144%20(Medium).jpg

Homestead in Nevada

IMG_4008%20(Medium).jpg

Tushar Mountains

HITR%20180%20(Medium).jpg

Hole in the Rock Trail

Feel free to add you personal experiences and pictures of your off-road trailer too!

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Love the thread! Is Hole in the Rock a typical trailer trail? Due to the need of food, gear and gas over a few days?

Yes and no. It has and absolutely can be done with a backpack behind the seat. Just depends on the stuff you like to bring, the time your going to spend and the weather. For us we were camping there for 4 nights in the middle of the winter so naturally it made sense for us to pack a lot heavier than normal.

As is a theme with this thread I brought the trailer on this particular trip not only for the extra space but because it had my tent attached. With a tent currently atop my Tacoma I likely would have skipped the trailer and just brought the Tacoma?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Great write up Kurt! I know when I had my parts Sami stripped of everything usable I thought long and hard about building a trailer out of it. Finally I decided against it due to the weight issue.
Every time I see yours (even when I'm being used for manual labor to get it off jack stands) I'm jealous. But practically, there is just no need for me to have one.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
L O V E it!
I'm getting to the point of needing a trailer with the 4 of us camping as much as we do, I would love to build one similar to yours Kurt.
Nice write up sir!

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Great write-up Kurt, I know that there are times when my Trailer is just a lot of extra pain in the butt. But when I have the family with me or on winter trips it is nice to be able to haul lots of gear and still be able to move in the Jeep.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've always considered the off-road trailer to be really cool, but I could not justify one unless my wife actually enjoyed longer trips. She's a girly girl who requires a sink, a toilet, and whatever else the hotel room provides. Needless to say, camping is my thing and i'm fine with that. She'll do day trips, but camping=headaches for me and her when she comes. We have both come to that conclusion and are perfectly happy keeping that way for now.

I will say that I have enjoyed watching Kurt's trailer drift around corners on highspeed dirt roads, and bouce around on the slower rock sections.. Although I have seen the benefits of Kurt's particular trailer, i've never been jealous to the point that i'd wished I were the one piloting my rig and trailer through the tight spots.

Here's a bigger trailer on the trail down in Needles.. Notice the hood popped. This 80 was having temp issues.. Not sure if it was due to the towing a larger tent style trailer combined with slow going trail speeds... I can't quite remember..

100_1043.jpg

100_0893.jpg

Gotta be prepared to maintain/repair all of your equipment while in the back country...

100_0999.jpg

Lake Powell

100_2552.jpg

100_2558.jpg

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Great write up Kurt. I remember the progression, sleeping bag, cot, pad in Scout, tent, military trailer, small trailer, large trailer, and now fifth wheel.
I used that old military trailer just sold on RME and it went every place my Scout did.
The best one I ever saw was an old teardrop that had been modified with a swivel hitch, big tires, and beefed up frame. It was totally self contained with attachable tent, porta-potty, stove, propane, lantern, tent shower, bed, food and water storage.

I almost for got the box I made to fit on the roof of the Scout. It contained the tent and extra supplies when the whole family went along.

Last edited:

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Trailer

Hello Jack, I still have that military trailer sitting in my yard waiting for John to pick it up. Maybe I'll just keep it and use it like you used to (grin). Neat little trailer.

I have a WWII ammo trailer (Ben Hur type) that I've thought about using for off road treks, but the darn thing weighs 1300 lbs. empty. It does ride on 8.25X20 tires and has a bunch of ground clearance.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Hello Jack, I still have that military trailer sitting in my yard waiting for John to pick it up. Maybe I'll just keep it and use it like you used to (grin). Neat little trailer.

I have a WWII ammo trailer (Ben Hur type) that I've thought about using for off road treks, but the darn thing weighs 1300 lbs. empty. It does ride on 8.25X20 tires and has a bunch of ground clearance.

Great to hear from you, tell John to get on the stick. Will you guys be at EJS? If so be sure and drop by the U4 booth. The last few years I used the trailer for hauling trash, rocks, and other odd jobs.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great write up Kurt.

...The best one I ever saw was an old teardrop that had been modified with a swivel hitch, big tires, and beefed up frame. It was totally self contained with attachable tent, porta-potty, stove, propane, lantern, tent shower, bed, food and water storage....

Thanks Jack :)

Check out the Adventure Trailers teardrop unit if you ever get a chance to see one firsthand. Very sleek, very clean and extremely practical. I had the chance to crawl around one when Martin was in town last year. Very, very cool. My wife usually says "really?" when I propose one of my hairbrain ideas, be it a 'tent on top of the truck' or a 'shower from under the hood' lol. However when she saw the teardrop... "that will do" :rofl:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Checked out Adventure Trailers on line. I think you would want bigger tires otherwise they look good. I remember pulling one behind my Renault Caravelle back in 1966 before I got into four wheeling and except for the clutch it worked great.

Awesome writeup Kurt.. I took 6 months building a trailer last winter and loved the process of the build and it turned out pretty well but I decided to sell it less than a year later.. The biggest thing is it is just sitting, my wife doesn't really like to come on the trips for now, and it will be sitting for literally years before I use it (wife hardly comes on trips and we don't have kids yet) unfortunately and I had so much into it I couldn't justify it sitting there versus paying off my truck, etc.. Sort of a bummer.

Also the Toyota really did have a lot of trouble pulling it and the boat anchor comment is also good.

A lot of really good comments & info here..

Here is mine..

I plan on building another one if/when I ever need it at some point and taking a really light weight approach and "kiss" keep it simple stupid. This is basically when I have kids and if/when we are ever taking lots of trips. Using airbags over a solid trailer axle next time instead of the complicated independent arms I took the first time which were also good but overkill and unneeded I think...

Attachments

• SM_155.jpg
    SM_155.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 105
  • SM_170.jpg
    SM_170.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 119
  • SM_268.jpg
    SM_268.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
LOL Andre you were pretty much the poster child for this article

I kid, I kid. :p

Seriously though, many are glazed over by the thought of a trailer and don't think past the 'build and outfit' of the trailer... and often the result is not practical. I have to admit there was some chat on the radio about your truck/trailer setup when you brought it down to the Swell last year. Somebody asked, "why does he have a trailer behind his empty truck"? :D. I'm guilty of it too, I've brought my trailer on solo drive trips that in which I could have stuffed everything into the back of the 40... my justification was the tent, I sooo prefer my nights in a RTT versus a ground tent.