Willys Crawler 2.0 aka The Bastard

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I could possibly rebuild the frame from the firewall on back and open up the width, but it would really throw off the body mounts... I'd need to go about 4" wider overall and that would put the body mounts directly under the frame rails. It's doable, but so much work. It's worth considering, but I hate the idea of chopping up the frame and trying to make it work.

My frame is pretty much stock Flatty width... size wise, my drivetrain wasn't ever meant to fit.

Bart

Sorry to hear the frustration Greg and I can see how the LS/4L80e would dwarf the space of a 4.3/350 combination. I would be less worried about cutting the tunnel and floor than routing the exhaust. Can't you run an exhaust cross over somewhere to go down the other side?

Greg

Admin
Sorry to hear the frustration Greg and I can see how the LS/4L80e would dwarf the space of a 4.3/350 combination. I would be less worried about cutting the tunnel and floor than routing the exhaust. Can't you run an exhaust cross over somewhere to go down the other side?

Far as offsetting the engine, the headers are a tight fit to begin with. Moving it over would make header routing much more difficult.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Crazy, dumb idea, but what about offsetting the drive train and running the near side header up and forward with a stock manifold... would look kinda crazy but might solve some of your problem.

Edit: scrap that, hood would never fit

Greg

Admin
Crazy, dumb idea, but what about offsetting the drive train and running the near side header up and forward with a stock manifold... would look kinda crazy but might solve some of your problem.

Edit: scrap that, hood would never fit

Correct, any change drastically effects other things and creates even bigger headaches.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Killer project Greg, I get the build exactly what you want and don't compromise or you will always be unsatisfied aspect. I hope you can find/start another project soon. Your build threads are a big part of what attracted me to the site and once I get things all figured out with the K5 I have waiting I hope to share it with everyone and return the favor. Good luck with the sale and have a great 4th of July!

Greg

Admin
Killer project Greg, I get the build exactly what you want and don't compromise or you will always be unsatisfied aspect. I hope you can find/start another project soon. Your build threads are a big part of what attracted me to the site and once I get things all figured out with the K5 I have waiting I hope to share it with everyone and return the favor. Good luck with the sale and have a great 4th of July!

I appreciate that, it was really fun to get the Willys to this point but it sucks that I became a victim of not sticking to my build plan! I'll be looking forward to your K5 build, I'm sure we have plenty of others on here that would love to see it. Thanks for sticking around! :)