Willys Crawler 2.0 aka The Bastard

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The new roll cage just arrived! It's another one of those DIY projects... 60' of 1 5/8" x .120 DOM tubing. Purchased it at Cage Works here in Grand Junction, CO. The price of steel is up 45% so far this year and these guys were able to give me the price they had set before the markup, which was great.

20210208_121052.jpg

Greg

Admin
Since I had the tube, I decided to jump right into building the cage. It's been YEARS since I've done anything like a cage and I was using a new style bender, with air over hydro so I was a little nervous to start. I'm using a 'CarlBender', with JD2 Model 3 dies.... I believe it's a copy of a Pro Bender. I have 1 5/8" and 1 1/4" dies, so that's what I'll be using. The new bender makes building a cage SO MUCH EASIER! X-D I'm used to hand cranking and repinning... none of that! 😍

I have been measuring and fitting up the seat, deciding what angle I want the A pillar at, figuring out the overall height and head room, seeing where it would all fall and how I can make it safe & strong. I don't have my floor plates yet (ordered 4" sq drilled plates) so nothing is permanent. Just fitting things up and seeing where it will all fit, getting the main structure laid out, etc. I plan to add plenty of triangulation next.

Right off the bat, I jumped into the A pillar upright.... with a compound bend! I kicked the bottom forward and in, for a little more foot room getting in & out. Plus, it will make tieing into the frame easier.

20210208_150256-X2.jpg

20210208_152058-X2.jpg

The A pillar will consist of a node and square joints at the top outside corner, rather than a bend. I want it to resemble a factory windshield frame, as I don't plan to run one. There will be more triangulation added to the roof, then an 'X' at the B pillar and a horizontal bar for the shoulder harnesses. I'll also add a 'A' to the windshield frame in the center with 1.25" tube.

20210208_155443-X2.jpg

20210208_160206-X2.jpg

The CarlBender at work! Love this thing! @I Lean

20210208_170143-X2.jpg

20210208_145846-X2.jpg

Main structure, more tube to come!

20210208_171403-X2.jpg

At this point, the roll cage is about 6' 2" off the ground.... shorter than I am, which was my goal. And the Willys is sitting about 1-2" higher than the ride height I want, so in the end the cage should end up at 6' tall, once it's all said and done.

Greg

Admin
The 37" Krawlers are great and all, but a set of 39" Red Labels came up locally and I had to snag them! I wanted to eventually run 39's, but it looks like I'll jump right in to the big tire club. ( Are 39's still considered 'big'?) I might as well build the suspension around 39's from the get go!

Now to dismount the 37's off the beadlocks, then mount up the 39's.... 🙄 Anyone need a set of 37" Krawlers??

20210216_150626.jpg

RockChucker

I thought so until I parked between these two at the Bewilder off road show last summer. 45s and 43s can give a guy a complex. Got a good deal on a set of 43s not tool long after... However, BFGs run a lot more true to size than TSLs. So I will consider you a member of the big tire club.
View attachment 134979
Ha! And I wouldn't consider BFGs as true to size...for the most part. My 39" KM3s are barely over 38"...I guess my 40" KR3s are pretty dang close to 40". In my experience, BFGs run small.

Greg

Admin
Ha! And I wouldn't consider BFGs as true to size...for the most part. My 39" KM3s are barely over 38"...I guess my 40" KR3s are pretty dang close to 40". In my experience, BFGs run small.

These 39's measure 38 1/2" unmounted, I think the 'race' tires are closer in size than the 'street' tires.