Willys Crawler 2.0 aka The Bastard

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not a ton of progress lately, between trips out of town for work, running parts to & from SLC and the holidays all I've really accomplished is gathering some key parts that will be needed down the road.

First, I picked up an inner axle shaft for a '78-79 Dana 60 long side front, in 4340 material for strength. This will allow me to cut down the long side of my '88-91.5 Ford Dana 60 and run a factory length shaft.

20201129_155254-X2.jpg

I also scored a killer pair of Dana 60 35 spline Drive Flanges that we have custom made from Summit Machine, with the RME logo! These are RAD, and will personalize the Willys for me!! They also bring some massive strength to the front axle. :cool:

20201125_163928-X2.jpg

Also picked up a set of race takeoff 37" BFG KR2 tires from @cruiseroutfit and the Canguro Racing team. These are a 2nd set of tires in addition to the Krawlers I already have, hopefully I can get a 2nd set of wheels for them and run them when I want the Willys to feel like a #racejeep.

20201124_155614-X2.jpg

Finding the ideal rear axle for this thing has been pretty frustrating, I was planning to run a GM 14 Bolt C&C axle (63 1/2" wide) and wanted a newer one with disc brakes, because "14 bolts are cheap and easy to find". Well, that hasn't been the case! I have driven all over Western CO trying to find the right axle, for the right price and keep striking out. I'm not the biggest fan of the 14 Bolt because of how massive the housing is and if you want any decent clearance, you need to shave the housing and buy a $300+ kit.

I decided to look into Dana 70U smooth bottom rear axles and I'm hoping I can find a early 80's Ford E350 van Dana 70U rear axle that will have 35 spline shafts, be 65" wide WMS. I'd want to add disc brakes for less weight and better performance, but that's easy. To me, the right Dana 70U will be less work and overall cost over a 14 Bolt. Lockers are a bit more expensive, only because a 14 Bolt Detroit is so cheap. Now I just have to find the right Dana 70U.... :oops:

I've got some time at home with the holiday break finally, so I'm hoping I can get to work on finishing up the frame, building the body mounts, make progress on the tub & sheetmetal work, etc.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Not a ton of progress lately, between trips out of town for work, running parts to & from SLC and the holidays all I've really accomplished is gathering some key parts that will be needed down the road.

First, I picked up an inner axle shaft for a '78-79 Dana 60 long side front, in 4340 material for strength. This will allow me to cut down the long side of my '88-91.5 Ford Dana 60 housing and narrow it to 65 3/4" as discussed earlier.

20201129_155254-X2.jpg

I also scored a killer pair of Dana 60 35 spline Drive Flanges that we have custom made from Summit Machine, with the RME logo! These are RAD, and will personalize the Willys for me!! They also bring some massive strength to the front axle. :cool:

20201125_163928-X2.jpg

Also picked up a set of race takeoff 37" BFG KR2 tires from @cruiseroutfit and the Canguro Racing team. These are a 2nd set of tires in addition to the Krawlers I already have, hopefully I can get a 2nd set of wheels for them and run them when I want the Willys to feel like a #racejeep.

20201124_155614-X2.jpg

Finding the ideal rear axle for this thing has been pretty frustrating, I was planning to run a GM 14 Bolt C&C axle (63 1/2" wide) and wanted a newer one with disc brakes, because "14 bolts are cheap and easy to find". Well, that hasn't been the case! I have driven all over Western CO trying to find the right axle, for the right price and keep striking out. I'm not the biggest fan of the 14 Bolt because of how massive the housing is and if you want any decent clearance, you need to shave the housing and buy a $300+ kit.

I decided to look into Dana 70U smooth bottom rear axles and I'm hoping I can find a early 80's Ford E350 van Dana 70U rear axle that will have 35 spline shafts, be 65" wide WMS. I'd want to add disc brakes for less weight and better performance, but that's easy. To me, the right Dana 70U will be less work and overall cost over a 14 Bolt. Lockers are a bit more expensive, only because a 14 Bolt Detroit is so cheap. Now I just have to find the right Dana 70U.... :oops:

I've got some time at home with the holiday break finally, so I'm hoping I can get to work on finishing up the frame, building the body mounts, make progress on the tub & sheetmetal work, etc.

I think you're way on the right track using a stock, acquirable shaft for the front. Looking fwd to seeing how this works out for you

59b73ebf-c5a1-47fe-b31d-90a64a74baae-jpeg.133059

That's the "poor man's" or "lazy man's" shave on my drum 14 bolt. Clearance with the same tires you're running with 25 psi in them. I didn't do any fancy Ballistic fab stuff or shave the ring gear. I just cut the lip off and ground anything I could into an easier transition to not get hung up on it. It's really served me as well as anything in that Jeep. Very little issues (any?) with it through it's life with me. Cost me about $8-10 in cut off wheels/grinder wheel/sawzall blades and about 90 minutes worth of work. I wouldn't spend any more time on a 14 bolt than that with my experience I've had. You could probably get 1-2" more clearance, which is huge, but mine hasn't been a problem at all.

Here's the pic with the Kevlars at 12 psi. It shows the lowest bolt on the 14 bolt
3c93f4f8-7deb-4e3b-9702-fa3d23cd8297-jpeg.133055

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!

20201125_163928-X2.jpg
I always like working with Summit Machine on about anything I can have them help me out with. Love the look of these. :)

Bart

I watched a video yesterday of some guys shaving a 14 bolt with the 15 bolt TMR kit. Yes, it's a substantial amount of work, but seriously thinking about doing it for the new rig. I would just buy shaved ring gear set since I'd be regearing anyway.

Greg

Admin
I watched a video yesterday of some guys shaving a 14 bolt with the 15 bolt TMR kit. Yes, it's a substantial amount of work, but seriously thinking about doing it for the new rig. I would just buy shaved ring gear set since I'd be regearing anyway.

If I could find a disc brake C&C 14 Bolt, I'd be tempted. With no luck so far, I'm looking at other options... now if I could find the right D70U.

RockChucker

Why not get a 99+ Econoline E350 rear D60? Smooth bottom housing that slides over stuff (I can vouch for this) and it has D70 spindles that will accept 35 spline shafts natively. Easy to locate in wrecking yards and on 1/2 off days you can get one for ~$75. Comes with disc brakes already on 99+. Has to be the E350 though. E250s have a semifloat smooth bottom 60. 3.5" tubes too.

As far as width, yes they are about 67" wide...but the pinion is offset to the passenger side roughly 2 5/16". If you're already shortening the front axle, why not the rear too? Shafts are 32 spline factory, but for 35 spline, the 4340 cut to length shafts from yukon are hard to beat and have held up well. Just some food for thought if you hadn't considered this already.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Why not get a 99+ Econoline E350 rear D60? Smooth bottom housing that slides over stuff (I can vouch for this) and it has D70 spindles that will accept 35 spline shafts natively. Easy to locate in wrecking yards and on 1/2 off days you can get one for ~$75. Comes with disc brakes already on 99+. Has to be the E350 though. E250s have a semifloat smooth bottom 60. 3.5" tubes too.

As far as width, yes they are about 67" wide...but the pinion is offset to the passenger side roughly 2 5/16". If you're already shortening the front axle, why not the rear too? Shafts are 32 spline factory, but for 35 spline, the 4340 cut to length shafts from yukon are hard to beat and have held up well. Just some food for thought if you hadn't considered this already.
This is the rear axle I run. I call it the D60U. I cut it down to fit oem D70 shafts that Carl pulled for me when he found the axle.
I know Greg has considered this axle as he drove a ways to look at one but it ended up being a semi-float oddball.

Greg

Admin
@Herzog is exactly right, I thought I had a Dana 60U with disc brakes from a newer E350 Van. I drove 90 min out of my way with cash in hand and when I saw it, realised it was actually semi-float. The listing photo didn't show the hubs and his description didn't say it was a semi-float, I assumed it was full float.

Wrecking yards down here don't do half off day, like the yards around SLC.

I'm hung up on finding a 65" wide Dana 70U so I don't have to shave or narrow the housing, buy replacement axle shafts, etc. Just add discs, locker and gears.

Greg

Admin
Rear axle has been acquired!! 🥳

As mentioned, I had trouble finding a GM 14 Bolt Cab & Chassis (63" WMS) disc brake axle, so I shifted gears and started looking for a Dana 70U. After reading @reddman Dana 70 Bible posted on here and some other tech online, I started searching the the right axle. I needed a early 80's Ford F250/350 or E250/E350 rear Dana 70U (smooth bottom, no cutting or grinding!), was looking for 65" wide WMS and REALLY wanted to find the rare axle that had factory 35 spline shafts, as most of them had 32 spine shafts. I read that the 6.9 diesel trucks were equipped with 35 spline shafts and found one from a 1985 Ford F250 with a 6.9 diesel at a local wrecking yard. It also had 4.10 gears and a Powr-Lok limited slip! I think there should be some value in the used Powr-Lok, so hopefully I can sell it and recoup some money.

The wrecking yard was being a PITA to deal with, I wanted to pull a shaft and verify the spine count, but they wouldn't do that. I kind of gambled, knowing that there was a good chance is had 35 spline shafts and went ahead with the purchase ($500!). I loaded it up in the back of the Gladiator and hauled it home.... because #trucklife.

20201215_131256-X2.jpg

20201215_131307-X2.jpg

After getting it home, the first thing I did was pull a shaft and sure enough... 35 spline shafts!! 😍😍😍 I went ahead and started tearing it down, pulled the shafts, the carrier, the hubs and drums. I'm planning to get the housing & hubs sand blasted and cleaned up. I'll get a disc brake kit for it, decide on a locker and gears, then eventually start welding up 4 link & shock brackets. I think the Dana 70U is going to be the perfect axle for this thing!

Smooth bottom!-
20201215_145203-X2.jpg

35 spline drive flange fits perfectly (easy to check spline count!)-
20201215_151042-X2.jpg

20201215_151325-X2.jpg

Stripped down and ready to get cleaned up. Need to torch off the spring & shock mounts.-
20201215_163714-X2.jpg

Oh, the BOM for the Dana 70U is 605247-4 LS. 1985 Ford F250 4.10 limited slip.-
20201215_144848-X2.jpg

At the end of the day, this will be the easiest and cheapest way to get a beefy rear axle without needing to cut & weld the housing, gain a smooth bottom without a lip, shorten tubes, not need to replace/upgrade shafts OR bore the spindles to fit larger 35 spline shafts. :cool: