Willys Crawler 2.0 aka The Bastard

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
the Bauer units from HF are hard to beat. The first thing I did with mine was cut a D50 into 4 pieces and it was like butter

I've got a Dewalt Portaband on a Swag table in the shop, but wanted to use a bigger metal band saw for this work... but the handheld will do the job. I just want perfect, straight cuts.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Thanks Bart, I hear you on the frame build! Hoping to start it soon... I've been trying to find a metal band saw to use for cutting up my material, rather than my chop saw. I can make it work, but a metal band saw seems more precise.

Greg, I wish we lived closer to each other. I have a 14" fein slugger, carbide tipped chop saw that you could use. It's more accurate than my band saw for sure.

Greg

Admin
Greg, I wish we lived closer to each other. I have a 14" fein slugger, carbide tipped chop saw that you could use. It's more accurate than my band saw for sure.

That would be nice! I hate to borrow tools, but it sure would be a good option. I'm working on chopping up my pieces for the frame now, using the Dewalt Portaband. It works, but isn't ideal IMO.

Greg

Admin
Frame time! Again, I'm using 2 x 4 x 3/16" rectangle tubing. My previous frame build was stacked and while it got the job done, I really didn't like how it looked. I decided to build a 'Z' into the front portion of the frame. Since I'm using a CJ3B tub and CJ2A fenders and grill, there is an additional 4" raise the frame needs to accommodate. The frame rails are built to be 29 1/4" wide on the outside, which matches up with the grill mounts, inner fenders, body mounts, etc. All the weld areas were ground down, mill scale removed and beveled the joints for max penetration and strength.

BUT... the rear 1/3 of the frame isn't going to be the same width. My plan is to build a wider box that will match up to the width of the rear tub on the inside, which will be 36" to the outside of the frame. The frame box build is pretty interesting, but it will make mounting coilovers to the frame much easier, I'll be able to drop a bigger fuel cell down inside the tub, etc. I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to go about it, but you'll have to see how it turns out.

I started to chop up the frame rails with the Portaband as discussed previously, but didn't like how it danced around. Ended up going back to the chop saw for making cuts. To make the 'Z', I cut out a 12 1/2" piece with 20* cuts, then turned that piece 180*. This gave me a 8" kick up, which is a LOT!

The front bumper is also a cross member, tieing it all together. It's 36" wide at the ends, with a 45* cut half way up to make it look more finished. I'll box the ends down the road. I had a couple chunky D-ring recovery points laying around, so I cranked up the ESAB Rebel to HIGH and glued them in place. I'll probably add some additional gussets to help beef up the bumper and frame mounting point.

Here's the progress...

20201016_122926-X2.jpg

20201016_125334-X2.jpg

20201016_132236-X2.jpg

20201016_134742-X2.jpg

20201016_134851-X2.jpg

20201016_162720-X2.jpg

20201016_170607-X2.jpg

20201016_180447-X2.jpg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Greg, how are you fixturing up the pieces to keep them square? I think I spend more time holding pieces in place than I do actually welding things.

Greg

Admin
Greg, how are you fixturing up the pieces to keep them square? I think I spend more time holding pieces in place than I do actually welding things.

Measure about 5x to verify the desired dimensions, use a square on the 90* joints, tack a couple pieces of scrap at the ends to help keep the pieces square, then start tacking up the joints. Honestly, I wish I had a thick welding table that I could clamp the pieces down to keep them from moving around. So far it seems to be OK, but not quite perfect.

Greg

Admin
That frame and entire build is looking fantastic. I’m am always so impressed with the amount of stuff you accomplish.

Thanks, I really appreciate that! Sometimes I feel like I don't get enough done or its taking too long! That said, I'm happy with visible progress... the frame has a long way to go, but its started and I can figure out the rest from here.

Once I have the frame welded up, I can start on body mounts, then decide where the suspension links and shock mounts will sit. One thing leads to another!

Greg

Admin
Oh, with the frame under the body I had an idea where the front bumper would sit. Had to see what approach angle and wheelbase would look like.

This would put the wheelbase right at 100", which isn't bad for a Flatty!

20201017_105932.jpg

20201017_110039.jpg

And based off this being 'full bump' (or having the suspension fully compressed) if i raise it up 6" for uptravel from here, the top of the roll cage would be right at 6' tall, which seems about perfect.

Greg

Admin
WOW, great progress and I love the direction on the frame. That 100" wb brings back old rock crawling memories. Love the rig.

Appreciate that, Bart! I'm happy with the frame progress so far. I'll get back on the rear portion when I'm back in town.

100" WB should be pretty interesting, not ideal for Moab's steep climbs, but should be great for the big, Boulder-filled trails in my neighborhood.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My two seater was 103" and that range was still pretty awesome for most of Moab. I wasn't climbing the helldorado waterfall in those days but the tight break climbs that are nearly everywhere were no big deal because the belly to wb ratio was perfect. I think you're gonna be really happy with it!

Greg

Admin
My two seater was 103" and that range was still pretty awesome for most of Moab. I wasn't climbing the helldorado waterfall in those days but the tight break climbs that are nearly everywhere were no big deal because the belly to wb ratio was perfect. I think you're gonna be really happy with it!

Good to hear, Shane! I think 100" WB will be great for the big, boulder-filled trails in my back yard. And it'll be a pretty good all around WB, height and size for what it is.

Greg

Admin
Then, these arrived! PRP Premier High Back Suspension Seat, Tan and Black from Morris 4x4.

I decided to go with cloth so the seats aren't sticky in the warmer months And the colors seem to match the Bastard quite well.

Unfortunately after test fitting them, it looks like I'm going to have to do quite a bit of work to make them fit. Even with the tub being stretched, dropping them in place leaves very little leg room. I'm going to need to cut more sheet metal inside the tub to make room and move the seats further back. This also means that I will probably have to change the B pillar for the cage, if not build a whole new cage. :(

20201028_125113.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Wanting to buy some seats in the nearish future for my rig. Curious to see what you have to say about those baby's. I do think I want the recliner type but am honestly not sure.

Greg

Admin
Progress is looking great Greg.

You're going to love those PRP seats, I had some in my 120" mid-engine sandrail and loved them. I also went with cloth to keep them tolerable in the heat.

Mike

Sounds like I'm on the right track, thanks Mike!

This is pretty my favorite thing on the webs. Don't stop. Keep this momentum going. I love it.

I really appreciate that Tim, that comment means a lot! I'll keep plugging away. ;)

Wanting to buy some seats in the nearish future for my rig. Curious to see what you have to say about those baby's. I do think I want the recliner type but am honestly not sure.

I really like them so far, the quality seems much better than the 2 pair of Corbeaus I've had. I just hope they last longer than Corbeaus, they weren't cheap... but so far the fit & finish is excellent. We will see how they are after I get it running and do some trail time with the PRP's.