Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think you should build a bitchin' V8 and put it in a car. I'm afraid 100% of the drivetrain parts you have already collected for the Willys, will not be happy behind a V8. ;)

I have thought about that, too! It would make a great engine in a muscle car... and you know I like muscle cars! I also considered putting the V8 into the JKU, but that's not cheap at all. ;)

Honestly, the 4.3 would be much more affordable and easier... and make WAY more sense. At this point, I would probably need another $2000-2500 to build, install and get the harness and tune for the V8. With the 4.3, I need a $500 harness and ECU. And the MPFI Vortec 4.3 is pretty peppy, it's no slouch!

With the plan to run 37's, the Dana 44's (and 4L60e, Dana 300) would see much less stress running behind the V6. It's really a tough decision! :thinking:

Greg

Admin
BUT... now would be the time to change your mind on drivetrain parts!

A stretch flatty with an LS could be the best of both worlds, a neat/desirable vehicle that can take you to the places you like and has the stuff that makes muscle cars fun.

X-D

Yeah, problem is I want to keep this light... and affordable. I got my built Dana 44's for a steal, the next logical step is 1 Ton axles, and that's just way too much weight/money/width for what I want out of the Willys. Plus I'd have to narrow Tons and really don't want to do that, either.

Greg

Admin
Some more tech... I pulled apart the Dana 300 and swapped in the JB Conversions 4L60E input shaft. Had a local shop press the gear off the stock input and back onto the 4L60E shaft, then put it all back together. Once it was together, the 4L60E bolted right up!

20171128_124446-L.jpg

20171128_140033-L.jpg

Bart

As Carl already mentioned and you eluded to, that motor would completely change the complexion of the build. The 44 axles would work ok with the 4.3, 37s and your driving style, but (IMHO) would never last with built LS power. I think the Dana 300 would also be short lived. The project would most likely morph into either a bigger crawler, which isn't bad, or a dune/mud type rig.

No flames here, but I'd love to hear your reasoning, Bart. You have built and wheeled all kinds of different rigs, so I respect your opinion! Earlier in this thread I mentioned having a well-balanced drivetrain and how I thought the 4.3, 4L60e, Dana 300 and Dana 44's would be pretty well balanced. Now the LSx engine throws that whole line of thought out the window... and I know it! :D Even more so when you toss 37's into the mix!

Greg

Admin
As Carl already mentioned and you eluded to, that motor would completely change the complexion of the build. The 44 axles would work ok with the 4.3, 37s and your driving style, but (IMHO) would never last with built LS power. I think the Dana 300 would also be short lived. The project would most likely morph into either a bigger crawler, which isn't bad, or a dune/mud type rig.

I know where you're coming from, and you and Carl are both right. The 4.3 is enough power and hopefully won't overwhelm the rest of the parts in the build. The V8 makes everything down the line much more questionable. I really don't want to deal with broken parts more often than normal, nor do I really want to change the build and components from what I already have. I think the most logical thing is to save the LS engine for another vehicle.... TBD. ;)

Bart

Or just sell it to another LS lover on the list (hand waiving in the air). I know you'll be keeping it, but it was worth a try.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I run a V8 with a dana 44 and 9 inch in my CJ with a twin sticked dana 300and never have an issue. Only parts I have ever broken were stock 28 spline 9 inch parts

This CJ chased Werock and numerous other comps for 2 full seasons as well. which we can all agree is alot harder on a rig than a normal trail wheeler

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
its a 1996 vortec 350... Its not an LS but with half a brain in ones head it could survive with an LS in front of it just as easy

I broke one front stub shaft at old school as well I just remembered about, Full throttle turned full lock in a front dig will do that apparently

Greg

Admin
its a 1996 vortec 350... Its not an LS but with half a brain in ones head it could survive with an LS in front of it just as easy

I broke one front stub shaft at old school as well I just remembered about, Full throttle turned full lock in a front dig will do that apparently

Thanks for the info, Ryan! I agree.... the 400 HP SBC in my CJ5 had a totally stock Dana 300 behind it, and it survived my abuse. Granted, I wasn't on 37's.

I could see how front-digs and a Dana 44 wouln't last logn.

Greg

Admin
I traded my 35" BFG KM2's with 70% tread for a set of 37" Maxxis Trepador Radials with 50% tread... even with half tread, they are big and heavy! :oops: I don't know that I'll run them, at the very least use them for setting everything up. I think I'd really like to get a set of 37"BFG KM2's for this thing... or KM3's when they come out!

Greg

Admin
Well, I've been in Moab most of the week and have been on the trail and seen plenty of Flattys wandering around town.... and they've inspired me! I stayed home today after getting a cold, but decided to work on the Willys. I wanted to knock out some real progress and had most of what I needed, so....

I picked up some motor mounts from RuffStuff to fit the Vortec 4.3 and welded the bushing tubes to some 2x2" x 3/16", setting the engine about a 1/2" to the drivers side. I dropped the engine in pretty low, need clearance for the intake, want the COG fairly low and it'll keep driveshaft angles decent. Hopefully I can keep the belly close to flat, too.

Once the engine mounts were burned in, I stacked some wood blocks under the oil pan and grabbed the 4L60E and Dana 300. I pushed the tub off the frame and used the engine hoist to put the engine & trans in place.

20180329_175004-L.jpg

20180329_182637-L.jpg

20180329_185147-L.jpg

I set a floor jack under the tranny and slid the tub back into place, checking clearance. I wanted to double check clearance for the radiator and grill, so went ahead and bolted the front sheetmetal on. I think I'm going to push the grill forward 1 1/2 - 2" just for radiator/fan clearance. I really wanted to roll the rear axle underneath, check out the driveshaft length, possible suspension link locations, etc.... but it was getting late. I'll get to that soon. I had to throw the windshield frame on and roll the 37" Treps into place.

20180329_193337-L.jpg

20180329_193348-L.jpg