Jeep Willys ground-up build

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The obvious question is- Is the pickup tube going to be on a cantilever system or over-engineered in some way? :p

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The obvious question is- Is the pickup tube going to be on a cantilever system or over-engineered in some way? :p

It was engineered by actual engineers--looks a lot like this one.

tnksp6028m.jpg

About time Carl..

I will weld probono if that helps to get this monster up and going...

I really appreciate that, and Bob will probably regret spending the time doing it. :p

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Over the last couple weeks, I got the fuel tank designed, cut, bent, and gave to my friend (Bob B) to weld for me. (because it's aluminum, and I'm TIG-tarded) I'm really excited to see how it turns out, since it's more complex than I originally envisioned. :p You can see the notch on the front/bottom (right side in the pic), which will rest on top of my cantilever pivot tube. The recess in the front is to clear the diff, the bottom rear is cut at a 45 degree angle for better ground clearance, and the rear top has a recess to clear the receiver hitch on my rear bumper. Plus a baffle in the middle. :greg:

Anyway, Bob just sent me this in-progress pic.
Wow. That's baffling.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I finished welding the front axle brackets, boxed them in, made and installed brake line tabs, cleaned up and painted the whole thing. Installed the Teraflex diff cover with a Lubelocker gasket....it's now DONE, ready for the hard brake lines. I'm going to run the braided lines you see here (approximately where they sit now), to hard lines, to a T mounted on the diff, then a small soft line to another hard line running up the upper link.

I also picked up a muffler, although it will be some time before that's ready to install. It will sit on the driver's side of the trans/transfer case.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Awesome to see progress. Surprised you have enough room for that big of a muffler! 2 outlets on one side, a hole on the other?

Inlet and outlet on the same end. There are only a couple options for sizes in that configuration, this is the smaller of the two. 5" x 8" oval, 14" long.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I really like that rack. It might inspire me to work on my axles if I had a set-up like that. Or, maybe I can have you set up my axle??????

It's a really simple rack, but it ends up getting a lot of use. :) It's mostly 3" channel, and some angle iron. All stuff I had laying around when I got sick of working on an axle on jack stands one day.

Another update: I bent some tubes that are the beginning of the bracing for the cantilever pivot tube, which also will follow the lines of the fuel tank. If all goes according to plan, the fuel tank skidplate (which will hold the tank up) will touch the bottom of the tubes when it's all installed and done.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's easy to find. Still in my shop, right where it lives. :) It does have a couple sheets of aluminum, and a sheet of 14ga steel leaning on it right now, so you'll have to look behind those. And it has a soft top on it. (from my TJ, it's just resting there)

Bart

Lots of talk about this sweet little Willys over the weekend. Glad to see this resurface, even if it's just for inquiring minds.