Winches...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I bet a Ramsey Pro Plus 9000 plus replacement solenoids plus a replacement upgraded motor is well above the price of a Warn. Go cheap, go Warn!:D

moabrangler

I run a Ramsey 9500. Works for me. I mean I don't climb 15' water falls everday. But it does the job. Some one mentioned that they saw one break, well very possible **** happens, any day any time could be wrong place wrong time. $300.00 I'd try it. If you don't like it you can allways resale it.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I run a Ramsey 9500. Works for me. I mean I don't climb 15' water falls everday. But it does the job. Some one mentioned that they saw one break, well very possible **** happens, any day any time could be wrong place wrong time. $300.00 I'd try it. If you don't like it you can allways resale it.

i agree with the waterfall comment... but not the rest..

i see a winch as a life line... like a roll cage.. is it smart to buy a cage that comes in 10 peices ready to bolt into your rig? doesn't tie into the frame, and uses grade 5 bolts? well, you saved maybe $400-600 over a custom cage built right, that will actually offer the safety that a rollcage was intended to provide...

I see a rollcage, and a winch as being to items that should be done right the first time, if you plan on doing them.. Unless you get a screaming deal i suppose, you can still save up for a high quality, proven winch. even sell the cheapo one on ksl for some cash...

but i wouldn't settle for 'bargains', or cheap substitutes when it calls into question the safety of my family/friends that might be with me when such equipment is needed/in use..

Then you also have to ask yourself if you really need one... I've never run a winch on my rigs, and rarely, if ever needed to be winched by someone else... If your going to be the only guy in your ring of friends with a winch, i wouldn't put that pressure on a low quality setup.. you'll be the town idiot, and left in a wierd situation when your winch malfunctions or something...

i think i'm rambling...

my thoughts anyway..:)

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I feel that having a winch is better than not having one. I purchached a winch from costco for $400 and it has never let me down. It has pulled me and several others out of the river and two weekends ago It got me up the eagles nest on the constritor by five mile pass. I understand the $ issue and if the price is right I would by it because for a new warn you will end up paying more than 3xs that. good luck choosing but if it was me I would purchase it if i did not have one.

kmboren

It sounds like a good deal and if the money is the question than I would purchase it. A new warn is going to be 3x that amount. I have a cheap costco winch and I have used it to pull my self up eagles nest and my self and several others out of the river. I think it is better to have one than not and if it was me I would purchase it. I have no other knowledge on how well rasmey winchs are. I thought they had a respectable name for themselfs. good luck deciding Kevin

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...for a new warn you will end up paying more than 3xs that...

.... A new warn is going to be 3x that amount....

I think that this is where alot of the confusion enters the scene. Warns are not grossly overpriced as some make them out to be. Compare apples to apples.

A new Warn M8000 (excellent winch) is $535 to your door from one of several reputable dealers. Thats less than double the price for a brand-new, LIFETIME warranty winch versus a lightly used, zero warranty winch. The value really starts to escape the situation when you compare equal products.

Sure there are Warn models that are 3 and 4 times the cost of a Champion winch new, but they are 3 and 4 times the unit, with a lifetime warranty and a solid R&D department behind their products.

I'm a Warn fan, not so much because of failures with other winches, but the failures I've had with my Warns. Sound odd? Well I've destroyed a XD9000i and my TI9.5... anything can break right. Drop if off at Six States and I had completely rebuilt winches in under a week. $0 out of my pocket. Try that with a Champion or Ramsey ;)

kmboren

Nothing against any company

I have nothing against warn but it weems that they are a little more expensive than the other companies that is because they are better. I was just saying that for the price you cant go wrong for $300 on a winch that esstially has never been used. For that price something is better than nothing. you cannot find a much better deal than that for a nearly new never used 8000# winch.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I have nothing against warn but it weems that they are a little more expensive than the other companies that is because they are better. I was just saying that for the price you cant go wrong for $300 on a winch that esstially has never been used. For that price something is better than nothing. you cannot find a much better deal than that for a nearly new never used 8000# winch.

I think one thing Kurt was pushing was the LIFETIME warranty on Warn winches... Will the $300 winch manufacturer back you up like Warn will?

It comes down to piece of mind i suppose.