Wind River Mts. in Wyoming

lhracing

Planning a trip over the Northern Windrivers next weekend and looking for some input. My plans are to start out North of Pinedale, head East and exit North of Dubois. Looking at GAIA there looks like a couple of way to do this. Has anyone done this and do you have any advice?

ID Bronco

I've backpacked in there a few times. I probably don't have any real good input, but it is beautiful and I'd take a fishing pole, most of the lakes have brooke trout in them and some have golden trout. It is a very amazing place.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Spend some time at the headwaters of the Green River if you are near by.

Green River Lake Campground
Be bear aware in the range. I came within 50 yards of a large black bear just outside of this area. BEAUTIFUL hardly describes the area. It is amazingly breathtaking up there. The mosquitos can be bad too, but tolerable with a good spray.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We backpacked to the Winds at least once a year for over 20 years. Up until my dad got to old for sleeping on the ground. The closest I've been to the Dubois area was the three times we climbed Gannett (First attempt helicoptered out my brother, second attempt got turned back by weather and third attempt made it). My favorite backpack trip there was when we hiked the length of it in 10 days. Definitely my favorite backpacking area. So beautiful. And x2 on the bug spray.

Pile of parts

Spend some time at the headwaters of the Green River if you are near by.

Green River Lake Campground
I helped take a group of scouts to this campground. Initial plan was to canoe all of us and our gear across one lake, drag everything up the river and canoe across the second lake, where we would set up camp. It took about 30 minutes of canoeing to realize we had too much gear and the boys (canoes) would never make it. We ended up staying in the campground, hiking and canoeing from there each day. I've never seen so much rain. Every afternoon the mosquitoes would suddenly disappear. About 10 minutes later it would downpour for about an hour. Beautiful area!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I was just up there today and stopped at the Den in Daniel and it was great food! However the smoke up there was terrible! the visibility was very limited and they are forcasting the shift in winds to blow the smoke to the north which means that area will be hit hard!

lhracing

There is a route up there that can take you to Jackson Hole. I am trying to get a group together to do it in Rzrs.
I am going to make a quick trip back this weekend going in from Dubois to scout out possible camping spots where I could get my trailer into. Shane and I want to go back with the RZRs and spend some time riding.

ozzy702

I must admit, it is a little unnerving to camp in bear country and feeling that you need to take Bear Spray and a gun to bed with you.

View attachment 139735

What were the dates on this trip, looks like July 16-18th? Any snow left? How were the bugs? If you had to do it again would you go earlier or later in the year? How was the trail? Anything you'd do differently?