Winston Spencer Churchill's The Second World War

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
TheSecondWorldWarWSC.jpg

Just over one year and 4,147 pages (excluding appendices) I have finally finished reading Winston S. Churchills memoirs of the Second World War. All I have to say is insightful. Terribly insightful.

It is amazing that someone who was at the top of world affairs during one of the most tumultuous times in human history would sit down to publish such a detailed account of his thoughts during that time. An amazing account that painted the British perspective in such vivid colours.

The question now, what do I read next? Oh yeah, Jean Shepherds In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash. I figured it was time for some lighter fair, even after all the splendid humour Churchill peppered throughout his books (no, I'm not kidding, the guy was hilarious).

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I was a teenager during WW II and it was our very lives. We read papers, listened to the radio and knew the name of every battle, ship and airplane on both sides. It was interesting to note the differences between what was reported by newspapers and what the returning service men said. Churchill was a great hero in our minds and I am sure he would be a good read. It is also interesting to note the things different generations believe about the war and how each generation has bent some of the facts to suite their own purposes. Of course that is happening today also.

roverrocks

Great achievement to read Churchill. I need to quit reading endless ridiculous novels and read something substantive as you spent a year doing. History's lessons should be read and never forgotten.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I couldn't do it, I just can't find any real interest in history outside of Utah, particularly pre-1950's history. Kudos to you for finding a subject you enjoy and really diving into it. One of my New Years resolutions is to read more books.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Excellent work, Stephen. That is high on my list of works to read. I've read a bunch of biographies of Churchill, but not his own volumes.

I'd also like to read some more UT history, which has so far been very limited to some stuff about Porter Rockwell, some books on mining, and not much else. :D

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I was a teenager during WW II and it was our very lives. We read papers, listened to the radio and knew the name of every battle, ship and airplane on both sides. It was interesting to note the differences between what was reported by newspapers and what the returning service men said. Churchill was a great hero in our minds and I am sure he would be a good read. It is also interesting to note the things different generations believe about the war and how each generation has bent some of the facts to suite their own purposes. Of course that is happening today also.

My Mom's Dad was 11 when the US entered the war (Dad's Dad was on Oahu during the whole war, but thats a story in and of itself) and he would always tell me the same things you mentioned. In fact, its due in large part to him why I'm a continuous student of history.

Every generation has done that with every major watershed moment in history. Some of it is merited as new facts are revealed, some is simply as you say, bent to shape their needs at the time.

I couldn't do it, I just can't find any real interest in history outside of Utah, particularly pre-1950's history. Kudos to you for finding a subject you enjoy and really diving into it. One of my New Years resolutions is to read more books.

Everyone has their own interests. I can talk most people ears off about US-Soviet relations from 1942-1991, but most people don't care. Much like your interest in Utah mining history. :D

Excellent work, Stephen. That is high on my list of works to read. I've read a bunch of biographies of Churchill, but not his own volumes.

I'd also like to read some more UT history, which has so far been very limited to some stuff about Porter Rockwell, some books on mining, and not much else. :D

It was always on my list of things to read too, but I never got around to it until my Aunt gave me the pictured set of first edition's. When I got them I was just finishing up The Rise and Fall of the British Empire so I figured, "Well if now isn't the time, I have no idea when is."
I could have finished them much quicker had I just plowed through them, but I really wanted to study the material and I did a lot of research on the side while I was reading. Also, because the material is just so dense, I sometimes had to put it down for a bit and read something lighter.
If you have a real interest in the politics of the war, I highly recommend reading it. If what you want is detailed battle accounts, this isn't for you. Though Churchill did have quite the military mind, his role was policy and thats what he documents here.
And as I mentioned, Churchill is hilarious. Some of his comments, about Stalin in particular, would give me a good laugh. Of course when I would repeat them to my wife she would just give me a blank stare. So perhaps its an acquired sense of humour. Also, if you don't have a passing knowledge of French, get a dictionary. Churchill publishes his telegrams with French authorities in French with no translation.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Everyone has their own interests. I can talk most people ears off about US-Soviet relations from 1942-1991, but most people don't care.

By far the most interesting historical subject and time period in my opinion. I'll have to get some book reccommendations from you. If I ever have time to read ever again.