General Tech Wiring up a new build

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll gladly admit that I dislike wiring, it's far from my favorite thing to do. But with my Willys Build, I'm going to need to start from nothing and wire up the entire vehicle. I'd like to have some input on the best way to go about it.

My build is going to be a pretty simple vehicle in terms of wiring. I'm planning to run a standalone engine harness from PSI Conversions which will control the engine, transmission, radiator fans, fuel pump, etc.

From there, I'll need a wiring harness for rest of the vehicle for the ignition switch, headlight & brake lights, winch, gauges, rock lights, radio, heater, etc. I figured I'd use a pretty basic, universal Hot Rod wiring harness with a fuse block. Something like this. - https://www.gearheadworld.com/store...CIRCUIT-UNIVERSAL-WIRE-HARNESS-P12553C20.aspx

I was thinking about integrating a switch panel from the 12 Volt Guy, possibly one with built-in ignition switch and start button? The fuses become redundant with the 12 Volt Guy panel though. - https://www.12voltguy.com/multi-switch-panels

32f03917b4ffac672cb77079ec0e4e6a.jpg

Any suggestions or insights?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It’s funny how we all have different tastes. I’m to the point in the beetle build where I’m starting to wire everything. It’s my first EV and am a bit intimidated by it. Not only do I have to wire the entire chassis for all the normal 12 volt stuff, but I also have to do all the wiring for the EV high voltage portion.....and I’m excited about it! But I do enjoy wiring and am pretty ocd about it.

If I was doing a fuel injected build from scratch I would find a fuse block that would allow me to run all the car stuff and the engine management stuff together. Keep it cleaner. I like Autowire fuse block kits. Very good quality.

For as simple as possible, I think you’re headed in the right direction.

Pile of parts

I did the chassis wiring on my Jeep and used a universal kit from speedway. It has more circuits than I need and everything was labeled nicely, all the way down each wire. I was dreading it but it really wasn't that bad. I really like the idea of the switch panel! I reused the factory engine harness but mine is a simple TBI. I don't think you'll have a problem.