With the recent changes in yearly inspections, is it still advantageous to title a vehicle as a classic/historic vehicle?

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
Pros:

No inspection (no longer as important) or emissions, renew by mail, very cheap renewal at that. For the 4 of mine it's $10 each per year. The newer class of vintage is more, but I think it's only $20. Someone else will have to weigh in as mine are all in the older class.

Cons:

Technically only supposed to drive it for shows, events, pleasure drives, and basically shakedown runs. That being said,nobody is likely to ever fault you for driving it. I've never been questioned on it and I've had it since it became available. Basically it shouldn't be your daily driver. Just my .02, YMMV

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
My ‘86 CJ is $80 a year but no emmisons which is nice with the engine swap and you get that cool old school plate

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm considering a new to me truck that was made before me.

What model year, exactly?

I am humored and baffled by people who put Vintage Vehicle plates on their pre-1968 car. Those cars already have no emissions test, and even when safety inspections were required all those cars needed was--what?--working headlights and windshield wipers? That's all it takes to register the car normally, and you can't even do that?!?

FWIW they did finally add a penalty code for driving outside of what you're supposed to with the vintage tag.

I looked at that link but saw no mention of any penalty. What is it?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
In that case, I'd just put regular plates on it. It's already emissions exempt, so you might as well not have any driving restrictions.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
In that case, I'd just put regular plates on it. It's already emissions exempt, so you might as well not have any driving restrictions.

$10/year is better than standard registration which is $47.50?

In the real world, there are no driving restrictions... it's an old car and "occasional transportation" is loosely defined and enforceable imo.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I don't see how they could even track let alone care if a vintage vehicle gets used more than "occasional transportation". I got the notice in the mail, went on line, paid the registration fee, got stickers. They would have no clue what I did with the jeep over the last year.