Woodworking projects for winter 2013

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Heading into winter 2014 and I am finally finishing the desk for my son so I can start some new projects.

Here is what it looked like before breaking it down for sanding and staining.
uploadfromtaptalk1409513530249.jpg

I am hoping to finish sanding it tomorrow, then put the first coat of stain tomorrow night. If I can stay motivated, I'll have it wrapped up next weekend.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
That turned out great! What kind of wood did you use? I built my daughter a desk I will have to post up. I still have to build the top hutch part for. Been waiting for all my summer projects to get finished. I just figured it how to mill my own lumber. Been cutting up logs for three lady little bit. Need to find a place that I can use there kiln.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I used oak for this desk due to the cheaper cost. My son chose dark walnut stain though, so it will finish fairly dark.

Here is the first coat of stain uploadfromtaptalk1409645881797.jpg

I am out of town till Friday, so the 2nd coat will go on Fri night, then poly and waterlox Sat. I forgot how long waterlox takes to dry, so I am likely 2 weeks from having it be usable.

Post up pics of the desk you built. I love the projects you have posted so far.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
10250217_629810973775141_5882546425780504204_n_zps53d07035.jpg

This is the only pic I have. I need to dig one up to show the hidden compartment I put in for my daughter to hide her weed.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I finished making a mount for my chainsaw to saw boards out of logs. My first project is I have to redo my mantle since the one that is on it twisted making it so we can't place anything on it. The 2x8 will be screwed to the log than the saw will slide up and down the 2x8. I am waiting for my ripping saw blade to show up. I have a bunch of ash logs to cut up.
20140904_171027_zpsa86946ab.jpg

20140904_171019_zps7b25dd23.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I assembled the desk for my son tonight. I am so glad to finally have it finished! Now on to other wood projects.

With the hutch,
uploadfromtaptalk1410149412008.jpg

Without the hutch
uploadfromtaptalk1410149422691.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I finished the construction phase of a table I am building for the Festival of Trees. Tonight I will sand it and hopefully get the first coat of finish on it.
It is similar to the one I built for my wife, but this time I double tapered the legs and used Bird's Eye Maple instead of Curly Maple. I can't wait to see how the grain pops with some finish on it.

2014-11-03 23.37.07.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
2 more projects wrapped up yesterday...

I finished this frame for my mom since another one she had was broken last year.

2014-11-23 19.13.41.jpg

Then I FINALLY finished this table for a festival of Trees donation.

2014-11-23 18.35.23.jpg

2014-11-23 18.36.06.jpg

Separated at birth?

2014-11-23 18.41.19.jpg

And then I continued progress on this for my MIL to give her BIL for Christmas.

2014-11-22 22.44.03.jpg

It was a busy day yesterday!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That table is great. My MIL and wife have done a tree for the last 6 or 7 years so I'll probably end up going. I'll try and find the table so I can get a better look at it in person.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I will be there on the 3rd or 4th. Can't remember what day. I haven't been to the festival of trees in a really long time, so hopefully you can pick it out...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I decided to try my hand at a little woodworking myself recently! I built a steel and walnut table for my gym. I used a table saw that someone on RME gave me for free several years ago. I wish I could remember who. I cleaned it up and rebuilt it, and it's a nice little saw now.
http://imgur.com/a/ecwfr

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I need to build a handle for a kitchen blade I have, I imagine a 2x4 probably isn't the best bet. Can I chop off the butt of my Christmas tree and use that? I know absolutely nothing about woodworking lol

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I need to build a handle for a kitchen blade I have, I imagine a 2x4 probably isn't the best bet. Can I chop off the butt of my Christmas tree and use that? I know absolutely nothing about woodworking lol
You can use whatever wood you want... I would make sure it is good and dry though, so your Christmas Tree butt Will need 6 months to a year to dry. I have plenty of scrap we could make a handle out of for you.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Oh wow that's a long time, I was thinking by the time I toss the tree it would be dry enough lol. I'll text ya about a scrap piece then, no rush though since it's just a utensil.