Work screw ups...

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
We had a guy change one value in a tool and press start on the machine last month. It started running at the incorrect height. Took out 5 fixtures that are $80K each. Sadly it was one of my guys and he is a great Tech and a great guy. He was sick about it all weekend. Just a small $400,000 error.

The_Lobbster

I crashed a lathe bit into the chuck in high school. Thankfully just broke the bit, but still scared the crap out of me. Also I one time stripped the threads on an expansion valve for an air conditioning unit I was working on, and then I ended up having to replace the whole coil. Was a $700 mistake. Learned my lesson real quick, to always start brass and soft metal threads by hand before torquing.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
over near Lyman some idiots where out 4wheeling in the farmers mud field and got stuck... they found one of our handhold and pulled the coiled up fiber out and hooked their winch to it... ended up pulling out 300ft of fiber that feed all of Evanston and Kemmerer. Took 12 hours to splice all 144 fibers on both ends after they dug out the broken ends and made a new trench to lay the new fiber in. lucky for us the only road out had a camera on it and got great pictures of their license plate and the drivers face!!! Right now My team up in Jackson Hole has 8 cut cables just yesterday due to all the construction up there... the poor Billionaires are without fiber optic internet! Contractors up there don't even care if they hit the cable or not. Wydot has hit the main fiber going into Jackson over 25 times this summer. They promised they would replace the whole 35 miles of fiber when they are done working the highway construction.

when I was 16 working in a grocery store I was running the floor scrubbing machine up and down the isle and hit the corner of a huge china display. took the whole display down breaking everything on it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
When I was very young in my career as a field service mechanic I got called out to fix a backhoe that had broken down on a job site. It had rained hard the night before and was still raining hard when I got there. The job site was shut down due to the muddy mess. I saw the hoe on the far side of the site and started for it down a road that I was sure to get stuck in. There was some untouched firmer looking ground next to it that I turned on to and headed across it. Made it to the hoe and got it fixed. As I was cleaning up I looked back to where I had come from and realized I had driven diagonally across the final grade of the building pad. There were 4-6” deep ruts going all the way across it.
I moved the hoe to the opposite side of the site, close to the entrance so it looked like I hadn’t gone in too far. No one ever called me out on it. 😬

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
5F98C442-21D6-4942-98F9-510C9F842BF2.jpeg

43CA7705-F359-4C8E-9D51-3BDC703AA0B8.jpeg

My boss told the footings guys to put a bunch of the dirt in the alley way between our building and the next one. This alley way is the access point for two of our A/C units. I use a very non rough terrain man lift to get to them for servicing. At least I did. A unit went down today. I’ll have to break multiple safety rules to get to it now.
It’s also a designated fire exit route now laden with 2-3’ boulders. Hope we don’t get any 5am timed fire drills.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring with this project.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I’m actually starting to find less to blame the excavator on. He dug where he was told to dig and he put the dirt where he was told to put it.

A year and a half ago when I was heavily involved with the planning of this project I very calmly and privately told my boss this was project was a bad idea and we should scrap it in favor of some simple management changes. I was basically removed from it after that. Not a word was spoken to me about planning after that. Now I’m getting pulled back in to “do what I can do to help”. My idea of helping is to stay away as much as I can. 😕

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Reminds me of another story.

I just got done painting “non potable water” on the tank of a new water truck we got. The driver of that truck comes up to me laughing and said, “you idiot, obviously that water will be portable. It’s in a truck.”

I apologized for my error.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Went to hook up this trailer this morning and found a small problem with it.

0877B789-851B-4465-ACD1-27DB15775170.jpeg
While the tandem slide pins are in place and intact, the stop pins had been ripped out.
FEAA67C2-7CCD-472F-A1B2-C8DE05D6D544.jpeg
D9905FC8-8803-4913-A71B-F51CE0F88BF8.jpeg

The first image show the pins in place that lock the trailer tandems in place. You pull a handle that releases them, and you can slide the tandem axles forward or backward to adjust your axle weights.

Sometimes a driver forgets to lock the pins back in place and as soon as you touch the brakes they will slam back into those rear stop pins. If the pins aren't there, the tandems will slide back far enough to leave the chat.

The scary thing is, this is not new damage.