World's largest earthmover

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Specifications:
The mover stands 311 feet tall and 705 feet long.
It weighs over 45,500 tons.
Cost $100 million to build.
Took 5 years to design and manufacture.
5 years to assemble.
Requires 5 people to operate it.
The Bucket Wheel is over 70 feet in diameter with 20 buckets, each of which can hold over 530 cubic feet of material.
A 6-foot man can stand up inside one of the buckets.I
t moves on 12 crawlers (each is 12 feet wide, 8' high and 46 feet long).
There are 8 crawlers in front and 4 in back.
It has a maximum speed of 1 mile in 3 hours (1/3 mile/hour).
It can remove over 76,455 cubic meters each day. (100,000 large dump trucks at 40yds. each).

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Picture7.jpg

Picture8.jpg

Picture9.jpg

Picture10.jpg

kyojin

James K said:
they had a show about it on discovery I believe. :cool:
Yep. Was called Mega Excavators or something close to that. Some pretty wild machines out there that you never know existed.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
James K said:
they had a show about it on discovery I believe. :cool:

the show was called modern marverals... the 20 buckets spin dumping its load onto a belt that takes it back to a dumptruck and as the mountainside disappears the whole thing turns to the left (I think) so it can constantly be moving the earth.... quite a deal... they have one like it in Nevada I think but not quite as big...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
gijohn40 said:
the show was called modern marverals... the 20 buckets spin dumping its load onto a belt that takes it back to a dumptruck and as the mountainside disappears the whole thing turns to the left (I think) so it can constantly be moving the earth.... quite a deal... they have one like it in Nevada I think but not quite as big...
modren marvels is on history channel.

ALF

SURE!?
These are used for open pit coal mines, the pics shown are of it being moved from one site to another. It is more cost effective to move it than to tear down and reassemble, mostly because of downtime.

The pics of the bulldozer stuck in the earthmover luckily had no fatalities but did cost a few individuals their jobs.