Would you trust a Harbor Freight torque wrench?

Would you trust a Harbor Freight torque wrench....

• Yeah, why not?

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Hell no, not in a thousand years!

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

XJEEPER

I ended up with a Husky 1/2" torque wrench. It's not ASME spec, but it seemed like a better choice than a Harbor Freight torque wrench. It was pretty affordable at $50. I'm just doing suspension bolts so they're not super critical and it seems to be fine for my needs at this point. It's massive, plenty of leverage to reach that 250 ft/lbs!

View attachment 145094
I've used the same unit for a few years. Nothing has broken or fallen off yet.........

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think the important thing to remember with torque wrenches is to not treat them like every other tool in the box. They are precision instruments. They only do one job. They do not stay calibrated forever. Dropping them or torquing past the set point can/will get them out of calibration. Technically they should be checked annually and there is a place in SLC that will do it and make any adjustments needed.
Also, they are less accurate as you get closer to the min and max value of their range, so you should really have two or three wrenches that overlap then use the one that will put the needed spec closer to the middle of the range.

Now someone is going to say they used theirs as a baseball bat so they could see how much force they were hitting the ball with.
I’d have to an inch/pound wrench. Just sayin. 😂