Jeep Wrangler Intake options?

TJ4Me

First of all, my mods on my 2000 Wranger 4.0 liter are not much above stock. Borla exhaust muffler, Traildash programmer, and a bigger throttle body with K&N intake of some sort. My air filter has a hole in it, and before I order up another, I thought I'd check to see if there is a better option. I'm not looking for a snorkel setup either. This jeep will pretty much be a daily driver and on occassions offroad (dirt roads), for a few years till its paid off. I know there is some folks that believe the K&N lacks in filtering out dust. I have thought of running the prefilter on it as well.

Anyways, I am looking for options, & opinions on what you are running. Here is a pic of my current setup. Recommendations?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357063144077.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357063144077.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

TJ4Me

2nd try on pic so it ain't upside down.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357063461471.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357063461471.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 20

TJ4Me

Possibly my whole intake. I don't particularly like how it's out in the open like it is. It's not a cold air intake how it is, and it is susceptible to moisture IMO. I could fabricate a box of some sort to alleviate those concerns. Just looking for options & suggestions.

Team1k

I like my cowl intake setup, however others on here have concerns about that route(not anyone that actually has one though). A snorkel or cowl intake are the only ways i can see you getting a true cold air intake. building a box around the filter you have would restrict flow i imagine and not be much better that a stock box. You could put a partial box around it similar to the brute force filters(see pic below). that would offer some protection from engine heat and direct splashes from your mechanical fan if you have one.

untitled.png

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
1. Are you running out of performance from the stock intake??
2. Do you need a bigger throttle body?

Calculators galore exist to run the numbers for your CID/CFM and RPM range. Generally, people like to toss on a bigger throttle body with little regard to any of the other parameters whatsoever. The fuel/air/compression triad works in unison, and one thing can rarely be improved without affecting the other two.

Hopefully you're already aware of all that and are moving forward in a reasoned manner-- because intakes and throttle bodies etc are worth a lot of gas money you can use to toodle around the backcountry instead. :D

TJ4Me

1. Are you running out of performance from the stock intake??
2. Do you need a bigger throttle body?

Calculators galore exist to run the numbers for your CID/CFM and RPM range. Generally, people like to toss on a bigger throttle body with little regard to any of the other parameters whatsoever. The fuel/air/compression triad works in unison, and one thing can rarely be improved without affecting the other two.

Hopefully you're already aware of all that and are moving forward in a reasoned manner-- because intakes and throttle bodies etc are worth a lot of gas money you can use to toodle around the backcountry instead. :D

I just recently bought this jeep and it had the mods already installed and unfortunately I don't have the stock intake to put back on. Anybody have one they want to part with? I will post an ad in the right place as well.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I wish I had a spare intake setup for you, as the cold air kits generally offer no horsepower improvement over the stock setup on a 4.0L TJ.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Why even mess with the stock setup? seems like a waste of time and money to me since it's not going to gain anything.

TJ4Me

Why even mess with the stock setup? seems like a waste of time and money to me since it's not going to gain anything.

Rather than spend money on a new K&N filter, (my current one has a hole in it) I decided to go back to stock. I don't like how the K&N is out in the open for a few reasons either.

Bart

Personally I'd just buy another K&N filter. You already have the intake setup and I don't think you're losing hp.