Jeep Wrangler JL/JT EcoDiesel discussion; 2nd Gen engine with fixes?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It’s called the three way valve. It’s primarily used to bring the ATF up to temperature, not So much to cool it. The max temp my atf has ever been is 209. Not hot. That’s flogging the truck up the big I15 hills towards St George in 100 degree heat pulling 8600 pounds of boat. Anyways, failure of the three way valve is Definitely heard of, if not common. I would not at all call it part of the transmission though. So his transmission didn’t fail but an outside part may have which could cause the trans to fail.

Yeah he said his trans was at 260 degrees or something crazy. I’ve seen mine at just north of 200 when towing my camp trailer up big hills.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
There is a guy on the eco forum that had his tranny constantly run at 240-260 unloaded. He had it in the shop several times and they never could find any issues and fca would not authorize to swap it out. They were interested in the issue, but not concerned. I think his truck was a 2014. He ran it like that up until Las winter when he traded it in for a 2500. So almost 6 years of running it that way without a failure. Not bad.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I’m only guessing that ram finally decided that engine wasn’t worth the headaches. They should have made that call back in 2016. I still liked mine though, throughout all it’s weirdness.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I did see that they were going to take the diesel option away from the ram but was going to keep it for the jeeps.
I have just over 70k miles on my JLURD and still love it. when diesel started to go up I changed out my 37" tires for the stock 33 thinking I would get better mileage. well I actually got less. I changed back to my 37 and got 2 mpg better. no idea why!
I have only had one issue with mine and that was the ball joints. they fell apart in 20K . The overheating that everyone talks about is an issue. what I did was remove the heat blanket from my hood and cut out the vents so they became operational and then when it starts getting colder I put another set that are stock back in along with the heat blanket. It seems to help keep the engine cooler.

Driving to Moab for labor day I was doing 80-85mph and averaged 25mpg. Going to work in Evanston and back I get about 21mpg doing 75mph. I finally got an air cleaner from the dealership after I paid for it and waited 3 months for it to come in. They still do not have one other than at the dealer. The fuel filter is the same one as the 6.7lt truck filter. I found that someone is now selling the oil filter on amazon for $19 instead of the $50 I was paying.

Anyone need answers to questions I probably have a clue...