Jeep Wrangler JL/JT EcoDiesel discussion; 2nd Gen engine with fixes?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So the JL Wrangler can NOW be ordered with the EcoDiesel option.... price? $6k!! (You can only get the ED with the 8 speed auto, so it's $4k for the ED and $2k for the 8 speed transmission.)

This is awesome... based on JT build times, someone could have a diesel Wrangler in their hands before the end of the year!

DAA

None of my diesel trucks ever broke even on the cost of the checkbox in operating expenses. But they all maintained basically the full cost of the option in resale value. Cost $6k more at purchase and sold for $6k more when I got rid of them.

I'm not sure if that is going to hold true on these.

- DAA

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
The current prices on the jeep website for build & price:

3.6($0) Manual($0) = $0
3.6($0) 8 Speed($2750) = $2750

2.0L($0) 8 Speed($1500) = $1500 **Manual not Available

3.0L($4000) 8 Speed($2000) = $6000 ** Manual not Available, 4.10 gears not available in Rubicon

So apples to apples, its a $3250 upgrade from the 3.6. and $4500 from the 2.0L, MSRP.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Have you guys seen the massive EGR cooler recall that is coming out right nowish? The valving inside is sticking which is dumping high temp exhaust gas into the intake manifold causing them to melt and in more and more cases is starting fires. I don't think it's officially a recall yet. Sounds like mid December. I'm not sure if the JL will be included. I do know that right now FCA doesn't have a fix so that either means they can't make the Gen 3 EGRs work on the older stuff or the Gen 3 uses the same EGR and will need to be replaced as well.

My original EGR failed a year ago and I believe the replacement is now leaking as well. These trucks are turning into a nightmare for a lot of owners. I hear resale is either dropping off the charts, or now a lot of places wont even trade them in do to the recall with no fix in sight yet. On top of that, the AEM emission retune that most are getting done is killing drivability. I got my AEM done and then purchased an aftermarket tune to fix what they messed up. That tuner, GDE, just got shut down by the EPA so those tunes are no longer available.

As much as I still love my truck (only thanks to GDE) no way would I buy another Ecodiesel, at least until this new Gen 3 becomes proven. The Gen 2 was said to be the fix for all the Gen 1 issues, but that proved false, for the most part.

Greg

Admin
The EPA has finally released the MPG #'s of the EcoDiesel Wrangler! "According to the results, the Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel is rated at 22 MPG City / 29 MPG Highway / 25 MPG Combined."

:eek: 29 MPG highway!!! With the 21 gallon tank in the JLU at 25 MPG average means over 500 miles of range per tank!

DAA

Range is honestly the only aspect that would get me to pull the trigger over the Pentastar. Low end grunt to go with the range would be a welcome bonus too though.

Someday it could happen:).

- DAA

Greg

Admin
Range is honestly the only aspect that would get me to pull the trigger over the Pentastar. Low end grunt to go with the range would be a welcome bonus too though.

Someday it could happen:).

- DAA

Yeah, I totally agree.... 500+ miles of range would be amazing in a Wrangler and 442 ft/lbs ought to push it around easy. It would make for one killer back country traveling 4x4.

Greg

Admin
I test drove a 2020 Dodge Ram Rebel with the latest EcoDiesel & the 8HP 8 speed auto transmission... I was curious if the local dealer had any Wrangler/Gladiator EcoDiesels, but they did not. The Ram was the next best thing, I've driven one of the older Ram's with the ED and it made killer torque but had pretty bad turbo lag. The new ED doesn't seem to have nearly as much lag, but a nice solid punch of torque not too far off idle. From a stand still there is a bit of a delay in power delivery, but it's not noticeable unless you mash the throttle. With the 8 speed auto, driving it is pretty interesting... when you lay on the throttle, it bangs thru the gears pretty quickly but there is a noticeable, very strong mid-range hit when the turbo is fully spooled up. Each gear seems to have a pretty good punch to it, but it's not quite the power that the bigger Cummins packs, obviously.

I think this engine will be pretty neat in the Wrangler & Gladiator. The Ram 1500 would make for a great all around daily driver, tow rig and light duty offroader (at least the Rebel package).

20200210_105647-XL.jpg

20200210_105703-XL.jpg

20200210_105811-XL.jpg