Wrangler Shopping advice

Houndoc

The companion post to the crossover questions on my other post.

Will be looking at Wranglers still, since that is my wife's first choice for her next vehicle.

Any common issues we should be looking to avoid?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
2013 or newer with 3.6. 2012 have the 3.6 but have a casting issue in the head. (most of those will be fixed by now?) Prices seem pretty decent on 2011-older lately with the 3.8L. I hear mixed things about the 3.8 "minivan" engine. They do lack 80hp vs the 3.6L.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
2007-2011 have 3.8
2010-2018 have new interior
2012-2018 have 3.6
I really like the 3.6 in my 2013. If you Aren’t putting big tires on it then the 3.8 is fine. If you want big tires then you will need some really deep gears in the 3.8. With a 3.8 and 37s I went with 5.38s and liked that combo. My current Jeep has a 3.6 and 37s. I did 4.88s and they are right in the sweet spot for my style of driving.

I have had several JKUs from different years and from entry level to loaded. I liked them all for different reasons.

What are some things you are looking for in JKU?

Last edited:

Houndoc

I have several JKUs from different years and from entry level to loaded. I liked them all for different reasons.

What are some things you are looking for in JKU?

Honest answer from my wife is she likes they way they look. If we end up with one now or couple years down the road a huge plus is it frees me up to get a more environmentally friendly daily driver (hence my cross over post) instead of driving the Xterra. Level of build of a JKU would probably 35s and minimum of rear locker. Built by a previous owner or start as a Rubicon wouldn't really matter I suppose.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Honest answer from my wife is she likes they way they look. If we end up with one now or couple years down the road a huge plus is it frees me up to get a more environmentally friendly daily driver (hence my cross over post) instead of driving the Xterra. Level of build of a JKU would probably 35s and minimum of rear locker. Built by a previous owner or start as a Rubicon wouldn't really matter I suppose.

Your wife is in the same boat as most people. They buy wranglers because they either think they look cool or they like the idea of a wrangler.
Here are some gear ratio charts that might help you while deciding on what gears work in what engine and transmission combos.
I usually gear on the deeper side if I can. I prefer a little more pep vs. gas mileage. I didn't buy a wrangler for the stellar gas mileage :)

A 2.5-3" teraflex lift with falcon shocks and 35s would be a pretty cool rig for all driving conditions. Assuming, the gearing/engine is up to the task.

Attachments

• JK 2012 newer gear chart.png
    JK 2012 newer gear chart.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 2011 & Older JK Chart.jpg
    2011 & Older JK Chart.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 15

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
A 2.5-3" teraflex lift with falcon shocks and 35s would be a pretty cool rig for all driving conditions. Assuming, the gearing/engine is up to the task.

this is the exact set up that my wife drove for almost 4 years. 2015JKU sport with a 2.5" teraflex lift and some KO2s. otherwise, the jeep was bone stock; still have the 3.73s and everything. wasn't the best offroad, (open, not regeared), but for how we used that vehicle, it was perfect. she workes at a hospital, and often has to be to work before the plows do their thing, and not once did it fail her.

carlojip

Try to search for the newest and most gently used one you can find and no upgrades. Don't forget also to check the underside for rust.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Like others have said, the 2012 and newer have the Pentastar engine and a few more ponies under the hood. The downside is they are a bit more temperamental compared to the previous 3.8 liter engine. I would try to avoid the 2012's due to the first year model and had some growing pains in the form of cylinder head issues. They have more than likely been corrected by now seeing as how a 2012 is now 7 years old and more than likely has 50k+miles on it but personally I would steer clear of 2012's unless you get a screamin' deal to allow some engine work/repairs if necessary.

The 2007-2010 had the older interior and the 3.8 liter engine with either the 6-speed manual or the 42RLE 4-speed automatic transmission. The engine gets a bad rap but honestly I think the 42RLE transmission is the Achilles heel of the drivetrain package. Had the 3.8 liter engine been coupled with a five, six or even the never 8-speed transmission I think it would have been a much more viable engine for the JK/JKU platform.

The 2011 is an odd-ball year as it has the older 3.8 engine/42RLE transmission yet it has the newer interior. Many people steer clear of the 2011's for this reason. When we were looking in late 2011, I was looking at 2009-2010 due to my budget constraints and the fact that I still wanted to have funds left over to actually build the Jeep and not have to drive it in stock form.

In my personal opinion, I would search for a clean virgin 2008-2011 JKU that has been taken care of and swap in an LS engine with the 6L80E transmission and really have a nice daily driver/weekend wheeler and you will be into it about the same if not less than a newer Jeep.

Mike