#yamaproblems : a rebuild thread

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Here's the final piece of the puzzle. This bike has a fresh bottom and top end, but they forgot to put the head stays back on, so Ebay to the rescue.
I like to go over my bikes with a fine tooth comb and fix anything and everything.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
1996 YZ 125.
96-01 are all the same (minus small changes).

What began as a cleanup on the chipped subframe paint soon spiraled out of control into a full restoration.

Cracked front fender

New fender options: Which should I pick?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Broken off lever (pulled and replaced with brand new).

Cleaned up and painted subframe.

Not fantastic (105 psi) compression. So I ordered a whole new top end....

Rusty Factory ProCircuit pipe and silencer. (the factory ones are raw. They look sweet but require some love so they don't rust).

Cleaned up silencer

I did the pipe too (and apparently didn't take a photo) but that took forever... but it looks amazing now!

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Did I mention the part where this bike runs completely fine and starts first kick every time and doesn't squeak or rattle or have bad bearings anywhere?
So naturally I'm going to be doing a top end....

and I pull the motor...? Well I guess I'm bored because I can't ride my dirtbike because I broke my finger last Saturday...

Well the frame is ugly and has some surface rust... only two years they did a white frame in this style body.

Wire wheel, degrease, prime and paint frame and subframe.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
New top end.

And countershaft seal.

Got the cylinder honed and new "B" piston (2 thou over)

Power valve clean and serviced. (Getting all the carbon cleaned off is a chore sometimes).

And naturally you then detail a motor..... :rofl: :eek: :freak:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Photographic evidence of my OCD on this bike. LOL
EVERYTHING got opened and inspected.

New plug, inspected: water pump, clutch, reeds, blah blah blah, dial indicator says the crank bearings are in spec.

^That thing goes back into this thing \/

Headset gets greased

And new Pirelli Scorpion tires go on...

leverzzzz

And the pegs (pre 98) suck, so aftermarket ones make them as good as the new 2017's.

straightened out a radiator.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Greased the swingarm and linkage bearings. New sprocket lock washer.
Filter service. Cleaned out the airbox and airboot. Cleaned the Carb.

Test fired it last night just "slightly" before it was too late. Fired first kick! Love it when that happens.
Got some plastics refurb to do and graphics coming but it's essentially done.

(Here I am partway through sanding out scratches on a fender shroud) I like to take out the big scratches with 280 or 320 then go steel wool down to "00" and then wet sand. But the rear fender and fork guards are brand new.

Last edited: