#yamaproblems : a rebuild thread

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Biltwell Thruster Grips in white.
large_625_1452108998_grips-thruster-white.jpg

had to buy another front brake lever. Broke it when it fell off the stand... stupid.

Brand new Pirellis too.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• large_625_1452108998_grips-thruster-white.jpg
    large_625_1452108998_grips-thruster-white.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
This one will sell fast

Thanks. I poured some good energy into this one, I dig the graphics. I REALLY wish I could go ride it.
Since I broke my finger, I figured it was a good time to have a small surgery done to get a non-cancerous lump removed- since I'm down already.
So they've got me limiting my activities. Taking it easy is driving me stir crazy.
I've got to get out of of the city!

2002maniac

The bike looks great. I'm pretty sure you picked this bike up from my brother. He kept it around as a loaner/buddy bike so it had been beat on pretty good. I'm happy to see it get a new lease on life!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The bike looks great. I'm pretty sure you picked this bike up from my brother. He kept it around as a loaner/buddy bike so it had been beat on pretty good. I'm happy to see it get a new lease on life!

Thanks, that means a lot to me. I got it in Provo so it's possible. I really enjoy restoring these bikes. It's a fun hobby that helps me afford my racing. It'd be a shame to see them go to the scrapyard or get parted out.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
This one I picked up from another RME member who picked up someones project but didn't have time to finish it.
And I really wanted to give it some love and make it great again.
It had a new Athena Cylinder, piston and head but needed different spacing on some of the gaskets.
I went kind a crazy on it but it turned out great.

First I blew it apart and spent 2 hours with the pressure washer and another 2 hours polishing and cleaning the engine cases.
Brand new UFO plastics & Factory Effex graphics. New mudflap. New grips, aluminum throttle tube, new Tusk Chub bars, new folding levers and bar risers.
FMF Fatty exhaust got all then dents fixed and polished, & FMF Power Core II silencer got polished, repacked and rebuilt.
Gripper seat cover. New air filter.
New petcock, rebuilt carb with all parts, new hoses.
Rebuilt clutch inner and outer baskets and had to reindex the pull rod to get it to work right.
I think I even replaced the intake boot because the stocker was cracked and caused some air leaks.
New fork seals & oil & because the old ones were soaked with fork oil: it got new brake pads & greased headset. I ended up changing the brake fluid on both ends too.
Cleaned the chain in gas and wire wheeled all the rust off, soaked it in chain wax. Then wire wheeled the chain guide corrosion off too.
Newer rear tire too. I bought a spoke torque wrench a while ago and luckily checked because every single spoke on both wheels were loose.
I actually couldn't save the rear shock as it was completely blown out so I had to order a new one from EBay and rebuild it.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's hard not to go overboard on fixing up a neglected bike, isn't it? :) Looks great, it'll make someone proud to own & ride! How are you getting the dents out of the pipe, compressed air?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's hard not to go overboard on fixing up a neglected bike, isn't it? :) Looks great, it'll make someone proud to own & ride! How are you getting the dents out of the pipe, compressed air?

Thanks!
I bought a pipe blow out tool. It caps both ends of the pipe and you heat up the dent with a rosebud and pressurized the pipe with 50-60psi. It takes a little finesse and time to get it to look good. I'm constantly checking air pressure because it can skyrocket and become dangerous very very quickly.
It's a great tool, but no one in the states makes one. I had to order it from either England or Spain I think.
It was a good excuse for me to buy an Oxy-Acetylene torch--- a tool I've wanted for years.

I'm going to offer pipe repair for $50 if anyone is interested.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Notes:
2002 YZ125+19
Base line
420 main
30 idle.

32:1 67°F
390 main
5000' elevation
2.5 out air screw
30 idle
6chy5 79 needle 2nd clip might need 1st clip or leaner needle.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I like the old school blocks on the tank as well as tying in the blue frame. My nephew just bought a yz125. It’s pretty rough but has a good motor in it or so he was told . Anyway, we are giving it some love this week but cosmetically, it will be like putting lipstick on a pig. He’s happy and that’s all that matters