YJ Fenders...cut outs or tube?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Well, I am trying to convince my friend to just flatty his front fenders for now instead of running DOM tubing. I think that it looks better and it keeps the engine a little more protected thanks to the inner fenderwell. What do you guys think that he should do? Ideas, comments?

Also, I just cut out the rear fenders.....took it straight back from the top of the curve in the fender well and back. I think that it looks great. Real buggy style. We also got his fuel cell mounted up and got the Jeep running. It's looking good. Still can't figure out the brake problem though. That's for later this week.

I'll try and post some pics tommorow of the rear fenders.

Caleb

whats there to protect the engine from??? by just flatfendering them they are much more likely to crumble once they come in contact with anything...do both...use dom tube and trim the innner fender well and connect them together...I am going to be running nothing...here's a pic of mine...
attachment.php

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by supergper
whats there to protect the engine from??? by just flatfendering them they are much more likely to crumble once they come in contact with anything...do both...use dom tube and trim the innner fender well and connect them together...I am going to be running nothing...here's a pic of mine...
attachment.php

Yeah, your pic is how his looks right now, other than his is black and his engine is bright Chevy orange. We just need to figure something out, mainly so that we can use the side hood latches, cause I don't trust that main front latch to hold it all.

I'm not quite following what you mean by using the existing fenders and dom tubing....can you explain that more?

Anymore ideas would be cool.

Caleb

what I mean is to just use the inner fender(cut if off) and weld it onto some tube fenders so you get both an inner fender and stronger tube flat fender...like what spence posted but the guy made his inner fender...

Caleb

Originally posted by RedRockXJ

Yeah, your pic is how his looks right now, other than his is black and his engine is bright Chevy orange. We just need to figure something out, mainly so that we can use the side hood latches, cause I don't trust that main front latch to hold it all.

I think that would look sweet...black with chevy orange contrast...my solution to the hood latches is hood pins...check any hot rod site (summitracing.com or jegs.com or any other) they are cheap and I think they look good...

Brett

Meat-Hippy
what I mean is to just use the inner fender(cut if off) and weld it onto some tube fenders so you get both an inner fender and stronger tube flat fender...like what spence posted but the guy made his inner fender...

Ah, I got ya.....I'll ask him what he thinks of that...all we'd really need is to have someone bend up some tube and I think that Rock Logic is gonna do that.

It's just nice to actually have the junk running again! Now we just need brakes and a better shifter (B&M sucks, he bought it)

What engine are you running anyway? Looks Ford just cause of the blue. He's got a chevy 350 in his....we're searching for fuel injection at the moment for it. He's just gonna be running 37 MTR's beadlocked on his. Should be fun once it's done

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
wranglercut1.jpg

there's a pic of the rear....I still have a lot of work to do on it, but so far it's turning out good.....comments?
fuelcell1.jpg

Check out the ol' school Wrangler MT's!!!! :D

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Here's another option. A lot more work, but I have the inner fenders still in place, and tube kinda protecting everything, but not welded to the fenders. Flatfenders will just get in the way and get trashed.
SuperCrawl109.JPG

Brett

Meat-Hippy
looks pretty trick....have to see what he wants to build

we just picked up those 36x12.5R15 TSL radials that James was sellin...get those mounted up next week sometime. After that, 37x12.50R17 MTRs or 38x12.50R15 TSL/SX's

anymore ideas about anything?

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Woah, you guys must have gone and bought those tires right after I called Jud and gave him the heads up.

How do they look?

Cody

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
I ran over to look at them last evening, somebody got a great deal on them. I looked them over, but I'm not ready to sacrifice any more sheetmetal to make them fit for the time being.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by GroceryGetter
Woah, you guys must have gone and bought those tires right after I called Jud and gave him the heads up.

How do they look?

Cody

Yep, Judd let me know...i got the phone number...hour later we were looking at them. :D:D:D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by RockMonkey
Here's another option. A lot more work, but I have the inner fenders still in place, and tube kinda protecting everything, but not welded to the fenders. Flatfenders will just get in the way and get trashed.
SuperCrawl109.JPG

You are soooo gonna hit that cone...

:D

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
hey caleb, what kind of tires are on your jeep? The sidewall kinda looks like XTerrains, but the tread is completely different? What size? And where did you get the beadlocks. It looks good man! :cool:

Caleb

Originally posted by tweakeyjeep
hey caleb, what kind of tires are on your jeep? The sidewall kinda looks like XTerrains, but the tread is completely different? What size? And where did you get the beadlocks. It looks good man! :cool:

They are TSL SXs and I grooved the center lugs to that pattern...here is a straight on shot of the tread...
attachment.php

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom

They are TSL SXs and I grooved the center lugs to that pattern...here is a straight on shot of the tread...
attachment.php

That's pretty cool. Do they grip a lot better with the tread grooved? What do you think about siping tires?

Caleb

I honestly dont know how much better it makes them personally because my junk hasn;t been running sionce I have had them grooved...I like the idea of siping...helps the carcus flex and gives more biting edges...