YJ Supercharger

1993yj

Have been toying with the idea of doing a supercharger on my '93 4.0 YJ. Powertrain is still stock motor, 999 trans and NP231 t-case (motor has been bored out .030, but that doesn't do much). The only things I really need to do is get some more power and eventually swap the stock t-case out for an Atlas. I like the idea of doing a supercharger for the simplicity compared to doing a V8 swap. Anyone gone this route and have feedback? Boosted technologies seems to have an easy kit, although not cheap, but am curious to hear feedback from those who went this route vs the motor swap.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I made a turbo system for my 4cyl YJ... pretty similar, especially with the tuning.

1993yj

I followed that thread, and while very impressive, you have definitely done more work than I have time (and knowledge) for. I know going with a supercharger "kit" I will end up spending more, but that way I could have the install completed in an afternoon rather than months, which is the appeal to me at this point. As much as I like working on and modifying my own stuff, time is not a luxury I have as much of anymore with young kids.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Reach out to Brad ( johnsonbz ). I installed a charger on his LJ a while back. He seems to really like it.

Be careful with the tuning. Make sure who ever you buy it from knows about the over bored engine and that their tune covers that engine mod and any others you may have. Melted pistons are bad.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com

So I looked at the specs on Boosted technologies' website. $50-$75 per hp... definitely not cheap and not very good performance either. My $200 ebay turbo costs about $10 per hp. My entire build was like a grand, but I did take the time to build it myself. Their lack of intercooler is a bit concerning too. My Jeep wouldn't make power for crap until I put the intercooler on. The air intake temps were dangerously high, like 250 degrees F, and superchargers are even less efficient compressors than turbos.
Performance and especially drivability is all in the tuning. and they're using a pretty crappy tuning method. Not really impressed by any part of their system except maybe how easily the blower mounts.

1993yj

Its definitely not cheap per hp, but since my rig is only trail driven I also don't feel a need for tons of power, but a 50% increase would be nice for the trails that have long dirt road sections, bouncing up steep climbs (like Helldorado's waterfall when it used to be open), or snow wheeling. I was also thinking the supercharger route for more power in the low rpm range than I was estimating to be able to get with a turbo. Maybe a small turbo could still accomplish this, but with the lack of a kit I still don't see me having the time to figure it all out and piece it together. I assume that is why it seems all of the aftermarket kits for the Jeep engines are superchargers and not turbos; easier to put together and sell a kit for that rather than a turbo kit.