Your Pic of The Day

4x4_Welder

I don't speak for the legality... but you can find 10-20' rails kicked off the side of RR tracks all around. I may or may have not picked up a few over the years.
When I was down in Texas, they were replacing some rail sections and for whatever reason had a bunch of 2-3' sections laying around. I thought about grabbing one, but never had the time. Most of the cattle guards there were rail, too.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
There was a guy on KSL selling rail in 2 and 3' sections for under $50 recently. I had it saved but can't find it now.

Found it.

Paul R

Haha... without dumping verbal diarrhea onto RME, it started with not being able to use the app and connecting to the panel mobilly.

Now the log-in is messed up and we cannot even get into the account that way because so many hands have been in this. Recently, on a CSA's request, my wife changed the PW and then the email since she wasn't getting the request for change emails... that lead to new antennas and module for updated cell. This has been going on for months.

Now, to "fix" the issue they want us to get a new panel and sign up for 60 more months.

I'm leaving out all the ridiculousness. Oh, cannot forget the tech no-shows.

All the while we have been paying and not getting service.

We do have a tech coming "Monday, maybe, or some other day, maybe sooner..." (their words!)

I have learned that my wife has the patience of a saint and I have some work to do.
To be a bit fair, that panel is pretty old (8+ years old?). They have had at least 3 iterations after that one. Trying to sign you up for another 60 months is ridiculous though and I hate the high pressure sales.

In full disclosure, I have a brother that is a regional at Vivint, however, I have had pretty good luck with their service and have most of our home automated to z-wave switches (I installed).

Paul R

The panel actually had nothing to do with the issue. Still doesn't though they'd love to replace it and have us resign up. If we do get a new panel, we'd have 3 days to go back or we're forced into a new contract.

It is the app and our account log-in, which worked fine until my wife got the new iPhone. The panel still works mint. Though we tried to get a new one 18 months ago so we could add a camera but I didn't want to pay msrp for a panel.
That makes sense and is frustrating. Does that use the Vivint app or still the 2gig deal? We have only used the Vivint app which used to suck but seems to be a bit better now. I think they do have new deals where you can pay for the equipment and have a significantly lower monthly cost. They all make commissions so the key is to find someone that isn't just looking for a payday which is kinda lame...

You can also find updated panels on KSL for pretty inexpensive, I would guess you could get them to swap them to you.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've been saying this since day 1.
My brother, who's favorite book was once 1984, has multiple Echo Show's in his home. :shawn:🤦‍♂️
6b041df2148230c57abe4a7eba28e0c5--books-to-read-pen-name.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That wiretap meme is one of my favorite memes of all time. No wiretaps in my house (besides our phones :rofl: )

My mom acts like we're abusing our kids because we don't have an Alexa like they do. "But the boys love using it to play music when they're at our house..."
cooooool, my phone can play music.

RockChucker

Same. We were given those alexa dots or whatever they are for Christmas one year. Right into the trash bin... No thanks.
There is the whole bit of big tech listening, but more than anything it has to do with the fact that I'm not lazy and I don't want my kids to be lazy. I deal with automation every day of my life at work. I'm with @glockman . It is nice to come home and work with things that are sticks and rocks simple. Ok, ok. Maybe modern drivetrains aren't sticks and rocks simple, but you get the point. If it is too hard to change the tv channel or shut it off with a remote control, we have a serious problem. It cracks me up when my brother comes over and tells Alexa to turn off my TV and nothing happens. And it doesn't ever stop me from trying to get his Alexa to do things when I know I'm on speaker phone when I'm talking to him :rofl: