Your Pic of The Day

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Nobody wins in that scenario!

I’ve always wondered how these big damaged tracks are found? I assume it’s not a train hauling cargo, as it probably wouldn’t have time to stop? Do people just drive all the routes after major weather events but before another load is hauled on those tracks?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I’ve always wondered how these big damaged tracks are found? I assume it’s not a train hauling cargo, as it probably wouldn’t have time to stop? Do people just drive all the routes after major weather events but before another load is hauled on those tracks?

There are track inspectors that go over the track in hyrail pickups on a scheduled basis, depending on needs and train traffic.

In addition to that there are also slide fences next to the track (in areas known to have issues), when wires are broken, the detector send out an alert over the company radio system and anyone with a company radio nearby can hear them.

Often times when dispatchers hear of a possible problem on the track and there is a train operating nearby, they will instruct them to slow down to 10 MPH and make certain they can stop within half the distance seen to be clear.