Your preference for thorn-proofing MTB tires/tubes?

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
I haven't been riding much but I went out to the shop, yesterday, to clean up and I noticed both tires were flat from my last ride. A closer inspection showed I have a dozen thorns in the rear and probably 5 or 6 in the front.

I have a 29er. I could run tubeless but currently I have tubes.

Thanks in advance,

Brent

pkrfctr

Great question! It seems like all I do is patch tires for kids. Im looking at ordering solid tires for them. I run liners in my 29er that seem to work well.

rholbrook

I ran liners in my kids tires for ever but now it is tubeless with Stans in it which is a tire sealant As a backup if the tire gets a tear in it, always have a spare tube.

My son Harrison races Enduro mountain bike races and he had a race out of state that had 8 different stages over two days. They had a practice day where they can run the 8 stages the day before the race started. Harrison flatted on the first 6 stages. I had extra tires and plenty of Stans for normal racing where most of the time he wouldn’t flat. In the 6 stages he tore the sidewalls on three tires and also ran through three tubes which is all I had brought. We ended up putting in Huck Norris liners www.hucknorris.com which did what they were supposed to do. No flats in the race In all 8 stages.

Tubeless and Stans, that’s where I would go

Kevin B.

OLAF
Tubeless. /thread

No for reals, though, it's the way to go. If your tires and rims aren't tubeless compatible and you're having trouble getting the bead to seat, check out fattystrippers.com. I've set up a couple wheelsets now with their latex strips and they just flat work.

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
Will it be okay to run tubless and sealant with these current tires that have been poked with thorns? My front tire is stock but the rear is $$$.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Yeah. I'm going to disagree to some extent on tubliss. If your an aggressive rider and also run lower pressures you WILL debead you tire at some point. I've gone back to heavy duty tubes with Stans in it at least in the front.
I know I have in AF riding with Steve. I clipped a root at speed with the front and whipped the front tire off the rim. I had to jump the bars and nearly ruined myself and knocked my phone of it's cool little mount and lost it.

I think it's viable but you've got to run a decent amount of pressure whereas a tube works to keep the tire on. I suppose I could look into rim glue.

TRD270

Aloha’n MF
Yeah. I'm going to disagree to some extent on tubliss. If your an aggressive rider and also run lower pressures you WILL debead you tire at some point. I've gone back to heavy duty tubes with Stans in it at least in the front.
I know I have in AF riding with Steve. I clipped a root at speed with the front and whipped the front tire off the rim. I had to jump the bars and nearly ruined myself and knocked my phone of it's cool little mount and lost it.

I think it's viable but you've got to run a decent amount of pressure whereas a tube works to keep the tire on. I suppose I could look into rim glue.

Are your rims/tires tubeless ready? I'm on my second summer and I run low pressures never popped a tire off

Kevin B.

OLAF
Stratton, have you seen CushCores? Those and a couple other tire inserts are designed to allow super low PSI with aggressive enduro/DH type riding.

TRD270

Aloha’n MF
I used orange seal on my Release, just tried stans on my plus bike a few days ago. Can't give a good comparison so far other than the plus bike seems to be holding air, I have to add air to my release every ride. I'm going to give the seasonal refresh to the release with stans and see if it seals up any better.

Kevin B.

OLAF
Some guys are blending Stans and Orange Seal and say it works even better.
sooo I dunno what caused this?.... But I do know I am good at wrecking stuff.

View attachment 119761

Wrong PSI and/or a loose bead. That's either way too much PSI and it shoved it out, or too little and you cornered hard enough to roll the bead off? Either way, probably a super loose bead to start with, which would magnify any PSI error. That might be why you threw a tire up in AFC too?

If you don't want to give a new tire/rim combo a try, maybe try tubeless again and use the Fattystrippers (or in your case, Skinnystrippers) mentioned upthread. They're supposed to help with bead retention.