Your preference for thorn-proofing MTB tires/tubes?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Well I'm happy to spend some money, maybe you guys can give me a hand. I'm a pretty decent wrench (I thought) but can't figure out this bike stuff for anything.
Currently I'm running gorilla tape in the rear and Stans to go tubliss, I believe my tires are tubliss ready from what I've researched.

Front is HD tube

I'll update what tires and rims in a bit.

jsudar

Been running Stan's sealant with Stan's rims (mostly Flows) since 2012. The only flats I've had are the two times when I let the sealant dry up. I have never ripped a tire off the rim, but I have stretched a sidewall so badly the tire rubbed on the chainstay when I landed an jump on an off camber spot. I used to think Stan's BST Bead Socket Technology was just a gimmick, but having tried tubeless on some other rims in the early days of tubeless, I keep coming back to Stan's.

I run liners in my road bike. Now I usually don't get flats, but when I do, it's a catastrophic tire failure instead.

Surprisingly, I had really good luck with old skinny Mavic rims with ghetto tubeless, Stan's sealant and UST tires back in 2010.

Last edited:

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
I figured I'd update this thread. I switched over to tubeless. I used Stan's tape on the custom rear wheel and the front already had Specialized's rim tape.

It took me a good 1/2-hour and I was ready to rip. The rear tire had a couple of thorn holes and they sealed up quickly. The front, thinner stock tire, had maybe 2 dozen. I could be exaggerating, but it seemed excessive. After about 5 minutes there were just little white bumps from the sealant that leaked.

I've been ripping around a bunch with the fam and I'm purposely looking to beat on the tires... which is hard to do because it's neighborhood and walking trail stuff. However, I feel pretty great about the switch.

Thanks, fellas.

Brent

nnnnnate

I think I need to go tubeless. I rode my new bike into the office this morning and got a flat 3.5 miles into my 6.5 mile trip. I didn't have any patches or tubes because I'm a noob so I walked the rest of the way. I thought it might have been a snakebite but I just pulled the wheel and tube and found it was a cute little thorn that made its way through the tire.

My bike says its "tubeless ready" so I think I just need the valves and some sealant. I'll probably buy that today and get it done.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I think I need to go tubeless. I rode my new bike into the office this morning and got a flat 3.5 miles into my 6.5 mile trip. I didn't have any patches or tubes because I'm a noob so I walked the rest of the way. I thought it might have been a snakebite but I just pulled the wheel and tube and found it was a cute little thorn that made its way through the tire.

My bike says its "tubeless ready" so I think I just need the valves and some sealant. I'll probably buy that today and get it done.
and rim tape.. I used Gorilla Tape

glockman

I hate Jeeps
I've used Stans and Orange in tubless and have not witnessed a noticeable difference, both work great. I've also ran Flat Attack in tubes for years. It was one of the first (before slime) It's also the best in-tube sealant I've used. A side benefit, the company is based in SLC.

nnnnnate

Looking more into it and seeing how messy the sealant is has me in a conundrum. I have been planning to buy 29x2.0 schwalbe marathon tires so if I end up doing that I don't necessarily want to go tubeless now, then in a couple weeks or month have to deal with the goo while swapping tires.

I think Bingham downtown opens here in a couple minutes so I'll walk over and get some tubes so I can get home but I've got some thinking to do about that other set of tires.

Kevin B.

OLAF
Looking more into it and seeing how messy the sealant is has me in a conundrum. I have been planning to buy 29x2.0 schwalbe marathon tires so if I end up doing that I don't necessarily want to go tubeless now, then in a couple weeks or month have to deal with the goo while swapping tires.

I think Bingham downtown opens here in a couple minutes so I'll walk over and get some tubes so I can get home but I've got some thinking to do about that other set of tires.

Do your valves thread out of the stems? If they do, consider dropping some tubeless sealant or Slime or something in your tubes at least. That's how I run my commuter and you don't get the weight reduction of tubeless, but you do get fewer thorn flats.

nnnnnate

That's a good idea Kevin.

Bingham was giving me grief because I wanted to buy 5 tubes. I was going to leave a few at the office and leave a couple in my pack but that wasn't okay with them. Whatever, I bought 3 and will make sure to not go back.

nnnnnate

While I was changing my tube I made sure to check the liner and don't think it'll work for tubeless.

My ride home from work I rode 9th West from downtown to 22nd south then cut over to the JRT. It cut miles off the ride and I didn't get a flat. It's slowly coming back to me but I feel like i previously rode the JRT then transitioned to 9th West because of how indirect the river is. I don't mind doing the miles but if it means I'm open to getting flats I'll stay off of it. There was a whole mess of people on the trail as well just doing their thing.

Tonkaman

That's a good idea Kevin.

Bingham was giving me grief because I wanted to buy 5 tubes. I was going to leave a few at the office and leave a couple in my pack but that wasn't okay with them. Whatever, I bought 3 and will make sure to not go back.
Seriously? 5 doesn't seem like a big deal at all. They should have 20+ on hand at all times

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
It's not messy.

I did both my wheels from flats to ready-to-RIP in about 30 minutes. I've been riding on them about a dozen trips without a hiccup. With tubes, and my track record out here, I would have done at least one tube by now.

Tebbsjeep

I’m running tannus inserts around my tubes. I haven’t had any flats yet. There is a weight penalty. But I’m not racing. So I’ll pull the weight.

So how noticeable is the weight of these? I keep getting thorn punctures about halfway through my rides, and end up having to pump up my tires a couple of times before I get home.

RockChucker

So how noticeable is the weight of these? I keep getting thorn punctures about halfway through my rides, and end up having to pump up my tires a couple of times before I get home.
I honestly don't notice it. But there are a couple caveats. Up until last season when I bought my bike, I hadn't ridden anything but a 10-11 year old rockhopper with 26" wheels. And even the last 4-5 years I think I sat on a bike 3 or 4 times. So with an all new bike (full suspension) that is a 29er I don't have a baseline. I've never ridden a 29er other than mine. They are normal for me.