Your views on Political talk shows

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
They're all full of it in one form or another. I'd like to see some actual objective journalism from somewhere rather than the jibberish from either side we are now subjected to.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I think that my biggest issue with ALL political talk shows is that they all are extremests. There seems to be no middle ground, and "if your not with them your against them" kind of attitude

Caleb

lenny said:
I think that my biggest issue with ALL political talk shows is that they all are extremests. There seems to be no middle ground, and "if your not with them your against them" kind of attitude

thats not true, they aren't all extremest...maybe the nationally syndicated ones (maybe there's a reason they are nationally syndicated) but some of the local ones are pretty good, Doug Wright for example...his views may be conservative but he's not extreme by any stretch of the imagination. I used to listen to talk radio all day, I really enjoy it. Most the time I did read farther into the main stories and most the time (no matter the political views) they were true for the most part. The minor details all get mixed up. It just depends on the reporter you hear/read the story from. My favorite ones are Sean Hanity :p and Lars Larson.

lately though, my favorite program to listen to is called When Radio Was its on at 11:00pm, good stuff :D

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
They are out there to entertain people if you forget that you just don't get it.

How long is a talk show host going to last without an opinion?
Extremist? They are paid to have an opinion. The better they can put that opinion across the more polarity they bring to an issue. The more polarity the more people talk.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Spork said:
They are out there to entertain people if you forget that you just don't get it.

How long is a talk show host going to last without an opinion?
Extremist? They are paid to have an opinion. The better they can put that opinion across the more polarity they bring to an issue. The more polarity the more people talk.

I understand the 'entertainment' side, but there really don't seem to be any true journalism nowadays (defined as 'objective reporting'). When there is no real journalism, people tend to start taking the 'entertainment' as fact and I believe that to be quite dangerous, honestly.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
mbryson said:
I understand the 'entertainment' side, but there really don't seem to be any true journalism nowadays (defined as 'objective reporting'). When there is no real journalism, people tend to start taking the 'entertainment' as fact and I believe that to be quite dangerous, honestly.
That's the kind of thing I would expect out of the evening news or a newspaper. I don't think a 2 or 3 hour talk show on the radio that just covers the news of the day would survive.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Spork said:
That's the kind of thing I would expect out of the evening news.........

True, but they don't seem to be truly 'objective' very often.

Spork said:
......... or a newspaper. I don't think a 2 or 3 hour talk show on the radio that just covers the news of the day would survive.

Newspaper should be objective, IMHO. I agree that 2-3 hour talk shows with objective reporting would die fast.

harkinoff

something to do...
Very true, the news is very bias.. They also only tell part of the story..
Back to the talk shows, the biggest problem with these is, people (americans)actually base there political views off of these morons. There should be somekind of law that states prosecution will be in your future from stating false facts and creating propaganda for individuals.. Have any of you looked at who owns most of the networks that runs the daily news?
Rupert Murdoc I know ownes Fox. What are your thoughts and concerns about these people that pound there beliefs into are heads? :ugh:

ace

Parts Collector
I really like Glenn Beck. He makes me laugh.

He's not on in Utah anymore, is he?

I see myself as a Ayn Rand style libertarian more than anything. I have listened to all of the talk shows and like most of them. I don't think alot of them are really espousing any true political views, but rather cheerleading for one party or the other. I quite like Talk of the Nation although NPR has a definite left leaning. Just take the shows for what they are and don't give to much credit to anyone.