Youth moto gear

Tonkaman

My daughters crash jacket finally wore out. It’s time to get her a new one and I’m looking to upgrade.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on neck protection? I’d it something I should take seriously? Should I get something integrated into the chest protector? What brand does everyone like? I’ve never messed with them before, what are the big differences?

I’m thinking something like this??
B6048680-C250-47A2-9438-22DB6DE99F5B.jpeg

D

Deleted member 12904

After breaking my collarbone bone twice this year in the exact spot my Atlas neck brace rests I'm personally done wearing them.

Tonkaman

After breaking my collarbone bone twice this year in the exact spot my Atlas neck brace rests I'm personally done wearing them.
That is something I’ve heard from other people as well in the past. I’ve never been an advocate for neck braces personally, but I’m trying to be sure I’m thinking it through for my kid.

That’s good input, thanks

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Both my kids wear neck braces and I broke my collar bone because of one. My .02 is that I will take a broken collar bone over a neck injury any day. one heals and the other has the potential to put you in a wheel chair or kill you. The Leatte vest is a good unit.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
.02 more...... my daughter wears the Leatte and my son wears the Atlas and I was wearing the original Leatte when I broke my collar bone. I think the design of the Atlas is better for preventing a broken collar bone.

Tonkaman

Both my kids wear neck braces and I broke my collar bone because of one. My .02 is that I will take a broken collar bone over a neck injury any day. one heals and the other has the potential to put you in a wheel chair or kill you. The Leatte vest is a good unit.
That’s the argument I keep coming back to in my mind.

Thanks for your input. Do you like having an integrated neck brace or keep them separate? Which atlas do you recommend?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Neither of my kids wore the integrated unit since they both had neck braces before Leatte came out with it. For small kids I think it woks good since it holds everything tighter to the body.

rholbrook

Mixed emotions about them. I know a guy in a wheelchair that didn't wear one. I know guys with broken collar bones that wore them. I also don't like how it hinders your motion. Some claim it stops your ability to react to getting thrown off a bike. For me, I can't wait for the day that my children have to feed me and wipe my ass. I would like it to be later than sooner but I don't wear a neck brace. They irritate me too bad. I like to move my head around too much.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Mixed emotions about them. I know a guy in a wheelchair that didn't wear one. I know guys with broken collar bones that wore them. I also don't like how it hinders your motion. Some claim it stops your ability to react to getting thrown off a bike. For me, I can't wait for the day that my children have to feed me and wipe my ass. I would like it to be later than sooner but I don't wear a neck brace. They irritate me too bad. I like to move my head around too much.

The only place I ever felt a neck brace hindered my movement was trying to look uphill while in a standing posture during racing. Other than that, I have not been overly bothered by them. In full disclosure, I have not been wearing one since I stopped racing. Mainly because I gave my Leatte to my daughter because she did not like the Alpinestar one she was wearing.

Tonkaman

I have never worn one, mostly due to that claustrophobic feeling. I’m pretty sold on having the kid wear one though since their necks are so much weaker than ours.

D

Deleted member 12904

I honestly almost never even notice wearing it. I don’t feel claustrophobic in it and it really doesn’t affect anything. It’s the easiest piece of safety gear to wear. I wouldn’t let comfort affect the decision

Tonkaman

We spent a few hours at Rocky Mountain ATV this morning trying in various chest protectors. Each chest protector then got fitted with a Leatt neck brace then an Atlas neck brace.

The Atlas neck brace seems much slimmer and far more comfortable. Fitment to chest protectors was a bit trickier with the Atlas to most of the chest protectors. It seems most of the big brands designed their vests around the Leatt footprint.

Options for an impact ready chest protector vs a padded roost guard we’re pretty slim in the youth category. Most of them are either full suit or bare bones. Unfortunately she is st a size where she’s almost outgrown the tiny sizes and not quite big enough to fill out the next size up.

I ended up buying the Leatt Fusion 2.0. It has an integrated neck brace sewn right to it, making the two work seamlessly. It also happened to fill the gap in sizes perfectly. As a bonus it costs about the same price as the neck brace does alone so it seems like a great value.

E16C2193-DF1B-45FC-946C-81C07069B138.jpegE16C2193-DF1B-45FC-946C-81C07069B138.jpeg