Youth Seat Options

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I am looking to replace the rear bench I have in the buggy for 2 youth or smaller suspension seats to fit my 3 and 4 year old. I have about 40 inches to put the seats side by side.

I was planning on putting two car seats next to each other on the bench but the car seats don't fit. After finding this out I was going to make a mount that will allow both car seats to be strapped down (as they would in any car) but there will be ZERO suspension attributes with their hard plastic car seats. Their little brains will be rattled with every bump.

Yes, this is bad planning on my part but I need figure something out.

I have contacted Corbeau (to match my front seats) and they do not make a youth seat. The only other thing I have found is PRP makes a "lite" seat for smaller riders but they are expensive ($250). Paying that is not out of the question, I want my humans to be safe and secure. I am just wondering if there are any other options out there???

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Something we did for a while with two little ones.

One in front with the driver, the other on the back bench with the non driving parent...

Now with two rigs and kids 7,5,4, & 2 we use a lot of booster seats in my mastercraft/Corbeau buckets which seem to work pretty good...

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Now with two rigs and kids 7,5,4, & 2 we use a lot of booster seats in my mastercraft/Corbeau buckets which seem to work pretty good...

I know it may go against what is recommended for their size, but I wonder if just using booster seats with the 5 point harnesses I have for them would work and keep them safe? I never thought about that. I know that PRP makes a booster type seat but they say it is to give smaller riders a better view. Any reason this would not work?

http://www.prpseats.com/product/booster-cushion/

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I put in a Corbeau 36" bench seat in the back of my CJ for my youngsters with a set of 4 point belts. Seems to be working well

I know it may go against what is recommended for their size, but I wonder if just using booster seats with the 5 point harnesses I have for them would work and keep them safe? I never thought about that. I know that PRP makes a booster type seat but they say it is to give smaller riders a better view. Any reason this would not work?

http://www.prpseats.com/product/booster-cushion/

When my boys were little, I strapped their forward-facing car seats into the unimog with some heavy tie downs since the car seat had, in effect, a built-in 5 point harness. I'm not recommending this from a legal standpoint, but I felt it was more secure than a lot of the seatbelt/carseat solutions out there.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
After talking with PRP directly they gave me two recommendations.

1. Get their Premier Lite seat and use the booster seat they sell as well. The "lite" version is meant for a smaller rider and they said would be good for kids up until they are early teens. I asked how an adult would fit in the seat and he said an adult should fit but wouldn't be comfortable after 8 hours. Shorter trips should be fine.

2. Get their Roadster seat which is the most narrow suspension seat on the market (so they say). He also recommended using the booster seat to get the kids up higher and the shoulder straps in better position.

They are both 19 inches in width. So, that was a little confusing to me when he said an adult would be tight in the "lite" seat but fit fine in the Roadster. I think the biggest difference is the height of the fixed back.

I think I will ultimately go with the Premier Lite since this is being built as a family crawler and we will use it like that. I can't remember the last time I needed to fit more than 2 adults in a buggy with me where it would warrant using an adult sized seat.