ZJ or WJ?

What to do?

• Buy a ZJ

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Buy a WJ

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

stimmie

So it's been years since I've payed attention to Jeeps and what not since most of what I do is just putt around the mountains and desert in my full size truck. My little brother got a ZJ last year and we had to swap the engine and many other things to get it road worthy. After cruising around in the mountains in it I decided I may want one for myself. That being said, which would be better to look for? I want the 4.0L and the select trac. I'd probably just do a 2" puck lift and 30-31" tires. I know everyone has their differing opinions, so let's hear them :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Since you're looking at 4.0's only, I'll vote WJ. Newer, nicer, slightly larger, and stuff.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I owned a WJ. Loved it. However, you can expect to deal with death wobble over and over again if you puck lift it.

stimmie

Does the puck lift only affect the WJ? Or will it be a problem on the ZJ too? I'd be willing to stay stock and run 30" tires if death wobble would be a major issue. And although the majority of GCs I'm finding are a V8, I don't want one at all. I am firm on the L6.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The WJ is more likely to be affected by any lift - pucks or springs - as far as the death wobble is concerned. Not sure why, but they are way more finicky than a ZJ. They (WJs) can be lifted and work well, but you may have a heck of a time getting it dialed in.

Stick to your guns on the 4.0 L6 in the WJ, but I think the 5.2 V8 or the 4.0 L6 in the ZJ would be fine. The 5.9 V8 ZJs are fun to drive, but I don't think they're nearly as reliable as the 5.2. Whatever you decide on, just make sure you find a well maintained one.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I had a fairly stock ZJ with the 5.2 for a few months. It was pretty fun and solid. I just didn't dig all the body twist when off road. If i got it flexed and tried to open a door, I couldn't get it closed again until it was on flat ground. I'm not a unibody fan.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Having built both. The WJ is nicer, but has some hurdles if you want to go crazy offroading it. The gas tank hangs crazy low as does the radiator and rad support.

As for DW the reason it's more prone is the LCAS have big "windows" in them to reduce NV. Good aftermarket ones will fix that. Also the rear upper is a bit like a Landy and has a fat ball joint instead of 2 separate uppers so if you go too big you get some steep angles.

If you're planning even a budget boost, get some aftermarket lowers or even modified Stock JK lowers work on a cheapo cheapo budget.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I had a 5.9 ZJ for years and loved it! Was a daily driver more than an off roader with s budget boost and TJ rubicon MTRs which I think measured about 31"s. Did get some serous death wobble that was caused by worn tires.

Fun as hell to drive but off road I was always worried about all the plastic and soft body panels. Needed a locker badly and there arnt many out there for the aluminum D44

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The WJ is a little newer/nicer and the unibody is a bit heavier duty but the suspension has some quirks (DW, the rear anti-squat etc) If you're not planning on a bunch of suspension and other heavy modifications, the 4.0 will probably be ok. Having owned many ZJ's over the years, you couldn't pay me to ever own another 4.0 ZJ again. Ok ok, you could pay me, but it would be a substantial amount of money i.e. enough to put something besides a 4.0 in it. That 4.0 is an absolute turd sandwich inside a 5500 lb built trail rig.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I'd rather keep my Silverado than have an XJ... Sorry... not my cup of tea.. :)
Better keep the Silverado then. Air down a bit and it'll take you a lot of places. The rear axle is no good for towing though (light occasional loads maybe).

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Troop92

I've had my 2002 WJ Overland for the past two years. Love it. I ran 3" lift and a 265/75/16 for most of that. Since a few months ago I've been right a 4.5-5" lift and will do a 32" tire once mine are worn. I've no desire to go bigger. It flexes well, haven't noticed any of the twist that sawtooth mentioned on his ZJ. I have a Aussie locker in the rear and limited-slip in the front. Last year I did Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim, as well as Steel Bender, and made it out relatively unscathed. Comfortable, spacious, but not too big.

I know that a lot have had suspension/death wobble issues, but I haven't had any - yet. I knew it was a risk when I bought it, and I'll deal with it should it come along.